Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

windshield wipers come on when I go into Cruise Control.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have ceramic treatment on my windshield - I rarely need to use the wipers (and when I'm using them are always in manual mode since the auto mode is basically worse than any car I owned so far).
I understand (and support) maintaining a single code branch for anything - but while you have a working solution, please do not force a new, "revolutionary" one that is not delivering at least the same level of comfort.
I'm close to actually physically disconnect the wipers to be honest. In the current state the system it is simply unusable .. since the fall is here in Sweden and it is raining a lot.

The car is now only basically usable only during nice weather. As soon as it will start raining I need to go in full manual mode.
Same issue as you here. Any light rain the car needs to go full manual since I too have a ceramic treatment on my windshield and wipers are not even needed. If it a light mist, the wipers go on full and skip over my windshield. Terrible noise and terrible auto wiper implementation.

I have ceramic treatment on my windshield - I rarely need to use the wipers (and when I'm using them are always in manual mode since the auto mode is basically worse than any car I owned so far).
I understand (and support) maintaining a single code branch for anything - but while you have a working solution, please do not force a new, "revolutionary" one that is not delivering at least the same level of comfort.
I'm close to actually physically disconnect the wipers to be honest. In the current state the system it is simply unusable .. since the fall is here in Sweden and it is raining a lot.

The car is now only basically usable only during nice weather. As soon as it will start raining I need to go in full manual mode.
I have a similar ceramic treatment on the windshield and live in Oregon. Rainy season will be starting soon and have the same complaint about the wipers. It's ridiculous really. My Model 3 Performance was 'perfect' when I received it in February 2021. Every OTA update since that day has made the car worse. Please stop making the car worse!

I’m currently in the same situation!

I’m currently in the same situation!
If the wipers operated like this when I test drove the vehicle I would have never considered buying one. I feel less safe with them on auto! I mostly drive in the country not the city. For people that have autopilot and have perfect lines to follow and don’t really pay attention to the road maybe all these auto things work. But I didn’t purchase autopilot, and like having control of MY vehicle. If I was told Tesla can change settings on the vehicle when you approve or not, I never would have bought one!

I have not had problem with auto wipers before but today on a road trip they would start wiping if I put it in CC. Kept having problems until I pulled over and cleaned the front windshield camera area ( which looked clean), but have not had a problem since. Maybe a coincidence but there it is.

I have not had problem with auto wipers before but today on a road trip they would start wiping if I put it in CC. Kept having problems until I pulled over and cleaned the front windshield camera area ( which looked clean), but have not had a problem since. Maybe a coincidence but there it is.
I clean and treat my windshield frequently so I use wipers very little. I understand some people like autowipers. When I purchased my vehicle I had a choice to use them. Note that choice is taken away. That’s my problem!

Tesla is definitely making me question my decision to purchase one of there vehicles. Knowing what I do about them now, I currently can not recommend them to anyone I associate with I’m sorry to say. I sure hope this changes. Companies have to give in to the lawyers and people sitting behind their desks all day.

please let me know how the service appointment goes??? I'm having same issue. More pronounced at night.
please let me know how the service appointment goes??? I'm having same issue. More pronounced at night.
They cleaned my cameras, did some diagnostics and kept an eye on my data logs.... And the problem went away.. But you do need to have wipers on Auto in cruise control and auto steer modes

I always kept wipers in Auto since I got the car two years ago. Besides the wipers themselves being crap on dirty conditions (model 2022 are improved) the on/off did not bother me that much with few exceptions when they went wild and I assume was related to software as that disappeared after a while. My car “lost” now the radar function so I will have to keep an eye on this but so far that seem to be OK. However, auto high beam is annoying big time, as that is quite crap comparing with matrix led I had before and often drivers from other direction gets annoyed with my lights before I even realise the car puts them on :(
I’m also concerned about loosing radar functionality as in poor visibility conditions the car used to “see” about 2-3 cars ahead of the first one in front and react even before the front driver… that is no longer the case and I feel less safe since…

It's broken right now. I have my wipers turned off and I stopped using cruise control because I don't like my wipers spazzing in dry conditions. The more Tesla tries to push these cars into the future the more I feel like I am operating a car of the past with no adaptive headlights, no cruise control, no auto-wipers, simple Play, FF, REW audio controls via bluetooth, etc. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. There's a lot of good things with these vehicles but it seems Tesla just can't get out of their own way.

Reactions: MdlYYY
It's broken right now. I have my wipers turned off and I stopped using cruise control because I don't like my wipers spazzing in dry conditions. The more Tesla tries to push these cars into the future the more I feel like I am operating a car of the past with no adaptive headlights, no cruise control, no auto-wipers, simple Play, FF, REW audio controls via bluetooth, etc. It would be funny if it wasn't so sad. There's a lot of good things with these vehicles but it seems Tesla just can't get out of their own way.

Is really strange for me to read all these reports about wipers activating when AP is engaged. I drive in The Netherlands a M3 LR build in US late 2020 which came with some of the 2021 facelift points.
Most of my drive is with AP engaged and honestly, I did not notice any annoying wipers activity - both in rain or clear weather. I will actually claim there seem to be a slight improvement when driving in rainy conditions as the wipers were occasionally engaged quite late which does not seem to be the case these days.

One aspect happened to me some time ago. I had an unpleasant incident and got a serious dent on the passenger door (recorded with Senty). Now, you wonder what that has to do with this topic here? Well, when I took back the car from a repair paint shop (not Tesla), the wipers were simply going wild (I keep them on Auto) even on perfect clear weather and no AP. Well, it turned out it was some fine paint/clear powder on the windscreen which was triggering the wipers. That powder was extremely hard to notice only in specific light condition I could see something from inside the car - nothing from outside. It took quite a few days to crack that one and was driving me crazy…

All of you that experience this wipers issue when activating AP, do you normally keep the wipers on Auto? I suggest you try for a while to keep them is Auto and observe if they go wild also without AP. If so, check well how clean is then windscreen in the camera/sensor area. I hope this helps.

Is really strange for me to read all these reports about wipers activating when AP is engaged. I drive in The Netherlands a M3 LR build in US late 2020 which came with some of the 2021 facelift points.
Most of my drive is with AP engaged and honestly, I did not notice any annoying wipers activity - both in rain or clear weather. I will actually claim there seem to be a slight improvement when driving in rainy conditions as the wipers were occasionally engaged quite late which does not seem to be the case these days.

One aspect happened to me some time ago. I had an unpleasant incident and got a serious dent on the passenger door (recorded with Senty). Now, you wonder what that has to do with this topic here? Well, when I took back the car from a repair paint shop (not Tesla), the wipers were simply going wild (I keep them on Auto) even on perfect clear weather and no AP. Well, it turned out it was some fine paint/clear powder on the windscreen which was triggering the wipers. That powder was extremely hard to notice only in specific light condition I could see something from inside the car - nothing from outside. It took quite a few days to crack that one and was driving me crazy…

All of you that experience this wipers issue when activating AP, do you normally keep the wipers on Auto? I suggest you try for a while to keep them is Auto and observe if they go wild also without AP. If so, check well how clean is then windscreen in the camera/sensor area. I hope this helps.
Built in late 2020, your car is still equipped with radar so it doesn't 100% rely on cameras for AP.

I am having this issue as well. seems more pronounced at night for some reason. 2022 Model 3 LR also. Please let me know if you find anything out.
Do you know why it's totally bonkers stupid?!
1. The wiper wipes an arc and is therefore too short to wipe past where the cameras are - so wiping serves NO purpose to clean the cameras. The cameras THINK there's rain on the windscreen - but for the bit I'm looking out it's 100% fine! So again Tesla stupid for not having a rain sensor and using vision!
2. A message pops up when you try and turn the wipers off AUTO to say, "wiper speed can not be changed when the car is in AUTOPILOT". BAD SOFTWARE!! The car is NOT in autopilot (2 clicks down) I only put it in cruise-control (1 click down). You should be able to disable wiper swipes that serve no purpose and are distracting! Who's in control of the dam car?! Level 2 = User!!! Further trying to read a message telling me I can't turn them off is annoying and distracting!!! I can see a few drops of rain outside the reach of the wiper blade and probably above it where the camera is! But I'm doing 70mph on a motorway - I'm not stopping to wipe the camera area of the windscreen clear to stop wipers wiping!!! It is daft that you can't turn off the wipers in cruise-control! Daft beyond stupid! I have a late 2020 USA build model 3 with refreshed bits.
3. Wiping a dry windscreen will cause excessive wear on the wiper blades - extra stupid!

Reactions: MdlYYY