TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Windshield Wipers Don't Retract

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by musk fan, Aug 25, 2015.

1. musk fan

musk fan Member

I'm a newbie and sure would appreciate some guidance on this. I used my wipers for the first time yesterday, and they won't retract back down into the well (or whatever it's called). I searched all the threads and can't find an answer. Ditto for the manual. I even asked the service guys at my local store and they're stumped. What am I missing?

2. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Check the settings on the main screen to make sure wiper service mode is turned off.

3. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

I have found that in some cases, wiping a dry windshield with the wipers will cause them to stick up a bit. Wet your windshield or use the windshield washer and it is likely to drop down.

4. steve841

steve841 Active Member

Or just give them a light push down back in to place.

5. musk fan

musk fan Member

Thanks, Todd, FlasherZ and Steve! I appreciate your suggestions. Unfortunately, none of these tips worked for me. Now I'm curious about your wipers. Do they stick up a bit or do they go all the way down?

6. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

My wipers go all the way down. At about month 3, the passenger side one started sticking about 2 inches up within view. The service center fixed this for me by adjusting the wiper blades as part of warranty. Now they are back to normal positions on retract.

Bring it in ... they can fix it!

- K

7. gaswalla

gaswalla P4201/85/airsusp/pano/19i

Service center has adjusted my stop point multiple times for this reason .. I recommend a quick stop by,.. Very simple adjustment

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Just wondering. The passenger side wiper retracts down completely but the drivers side " knuckle" is permanently visible on my car. Not the blade. I have always assumed that this is how it is supposed to be but I have to say it does look like a design flaw that that part extends above the hood line.
    I might just check other cars at the showroom next time I go in. Is this what you are referring to or is it that the blades are actually visible from the drivers seat?

9. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

The only part visible is the square "knuckle" on the one wiper. As far as I know that's normal. You shouldn't be seeing any of the blades.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I can usually see the knuckle on both sides.

11. musk fan

musk fan Member

Thanks, everyone! I can see both knuckles but not the blades. I noticed a few other Model S' with bare knuckles too. I'll have the service guys take a quick look when I'm in their neighborhood, but it seems like this is normal. It's just strange that the wipers weren't this way when I took delivery. And Dborn is right... it does look like a design flaw. I'll post again if I learn anything new.

12. jerry33

I have a 70D loaner (getting the LTE upgrade) and you can see both wiper knuckles on it. On my S85, you can only see the one in the centre. I think this may be because the S85 has a wider black band around the windshield than the 70D.

13. Khatsalano

Khatsalano Member

I can only see the knuckle now on the driver's side wiper. The passenger side one, after adjustment by Tesla SC, is completely hidden when retracted.

14. ddimit

ddimit Member

On my April produced 85D I see both knuckles, always thought this was strange to see anything at all showing. If this is normal it's poor design in my opinion.

15. CGW

CGW Member

Hi
    For some reason these visible knuckles bug me. Did you find a way to hide them?. Where is the service setting that was mentioned in this thread??
    Grant. 85D 6/15 delivery. LOVE the car!

16. jerry33

I forget which screen it's on as I've only ever used it once, but it isn't hard to find.

About the only thing you can do for the centre knuckle is to push the blades down, they will stay that way until the next time you use the wipers. the other knuckle shouldn't be visible.

17. mobe

mobe Member

On my car they retract all the way but when in operation they stop about 8 inches from the left a pillar. If I adjust that to be a normal 3 inch strip then the wipers are above the hood line when they park.

18. BertL

BertL Active Member

In case a picture may help. When OFF, my S90D wipers retract to what I consider a normal position without a problem (on the lower part of the optional wiper heater strip in the windshield I have as part of the cold weather pkg, and still in the lower black portion of the windshield below the dash.) Yes, both "knuckles" are still above the hood, but IMHO, it looks fine given Tesla/Bosch's present design choices. I don't see how they could physically go much lower without a complete redesign of the wipers and surrounding areas given clearance on the passenger A-pillar side, the frunk dam below both wipers, and the horrendous length of the driver's side blade. As it is, my driver's side blade is problematic with excessive chatter when it's in use -- small or large amount of water, and all wind directions. SC did an adjustment to help my chatter problem as it's an acknowledged issue, with no official commitment on a permanent resolution. Personally, I suspect Tesla needs to have different blades which have metal inserts making them much more rigid like I've had on other vehicles.)
    IMG_1211.jpg

BTW, wipers can be put into service position via the Controls / Settings / Service & Reset menu.