Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield Wipers in Winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well... after the first snowstorm in my M3 I have come to find the wipers to be very inadequate. Most of the wiper blade was ineffective in making contact with the windshield and the wiper fluid mechanism works to clean 30-40% of my windshield at best. I had even cleaned them off before I started my drive home.

Wish they had a wiper deicer built in similar to other vehicles.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas on how to improve their performance?

Preheat for an extended period before you head out.

that was the only thing that worked for me up to this point. With the ability to kick in the high setting for the defroster, I’m hopeful it’ll be easier this year, but we’ll see.

I had the heater running for 30 mins before I went out and started my drive. Cleaned off all the snow beforehand as well.

I found with the defroster on high it melted the windshield snow/ice however it didn't melt the ice that built up on the wiper blades that sit below the windshield was being blasted by heat inside. So the ice would melt on the glass however the wipers made very poor contact that it didn't matter

I had the heater running for 30 mins before I went out and started my drive. Cleaned off all the snow beforehand as well.

I found with the defroster on high it melted the windshield snow/ice however it didn't melt the ice that built up on the wiper blades that sit below the windshield was being blasted by heat inside. So the ice would melt on the glass however the wipers made very poor contact that it didn't matter

Put the wipers in service mode when parking the vehicle outside in winter for extended periods of time.

• Helpful
Reactions: mrElbe and malou
Even a heated "wiper parking spot" at the base of the windshield is not a great solution. It definitely helps to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield, but once you get driving and the snow is coming down, I find it does not help to keep anything clear.
The only car that I have had which did not have this issue was a Range Rover Evoque that had a heated front windshield. The front had a small heating element embedded into the glass (similar to the rear defroster but much smaller "lines") - it was amazing in keeping the front windshield and the wipers free of ice.
There was some concern that if you looked too closely, you could see the element in the front glass, which was true, but it was easy enough to disregard it and it worked amazingly well. (That plus the heated steering wheel!) - that car drove like a pig, but it was awesome in the snow

Even a heated "wiper parking spot" at the base of the windshield is not a great solution. It definitely helps to keep the wipers from freezing to the windshield, but once you get driving and the snow is coming down, I find it does not help to keep anything clear.
The only car that I have had which did not have this issue was a Range Rover Evoque that had a heated front windshield. The front had a small heating element embedded into the glass (similar to the rear defroster but much smaller "lines") - it was amazing in keeping the front windshield and the wipers free of ice.
There was some concern that if you looked too closely, you could see the element in the front glass, which was true, but it was easy enough to disregard it and it worked amazingly well. (That plus the heated steering wheel!) - that car drove like a pig, but it was awesome in the snow

I hate those squiggly wires in the Rover, and my wife never got used to them either. The VW E-Golf has the best heated windshield, IMO. It uses a conductive silver layer that is a part of the windshield. Not only are there no wires to stare at, or potentially being distracting while driving, but as the conductive layer covers the entire windshield, it is more effective at heating and getting rid of snow and ice. And the system includes filaments toward the bottom of the windshield too that help to heat up the windshield wipers and keep them from sticking to the windshield, without having to put them in Service mode.

• Informative
Reactions: shellderp and bijan
All cars have this issue come winter. Wiper Service Mode and preheat, not much else you can do until they come out with a winter package to heat the area where the wipers sit to remove the ice build up.

True. And some cars are worst than other. On my old Prius C, I somehow never had any issue with frozen wiper in the 3 winter I had it. My parents Sante Fe might have the worst wiper I've ever seen. Whenever I get in their car in winter, even if I'm the one driving and in control of the heat and whatever, the wipers are always frozen and/or ineffective somehow.

I think the worst part about the M3 wipers is the sound they made last night. So loud! Worst than an ICE :p

Well I’m new to the Tesla EV world so I’m not sure but in all my other cars that I’ve had in the past I always run Piaa silicon wipers the best thing you can get for your car they are abit pricy but they last sooo much longer and never froze up on me

Does anyone have issue with the washer fluid that came with the car? It's nice and fun in the summer, but I'm starting to suspect it's not rated for -40°C weather... Lots of frozen blue ice on the side and the wiper well after I used it this morning...

I feel left out , as I want to experience / try some of this cool (cold) stuff everyone is talking about.

Like service mode to prevent or thaw frozen wipers etc....

Will probably have to wait at least another month to get below freezing at night, and probably January to get a day or two below -5C in the daytime.

Hope we get some snow this year , as I really enjoyed the few snow days last year, driving my M3.

I was shocked how well the 3 drove in the snow (my brother can't even get his BMW 5 series out of the driveway with snow around )

I feel left out , as I want to experience / try some of this cool (cold) stuff everyone is talking about.

Like service mode to prevent or thaw frozen wipers etc....

Will probably have to wait at least another month to get below freezing at night, and probably January to get a day or two below -5C in the daytime.

Hope we get some snow this year , as I really enjoyed the few snow days last year, driving my M3.

I was shocked how well the 3 drove in the snow (my brother can't even get his BMW 5 series out of the driveway with snow around )

You'll have to drive up to Whistler then, lucky you :p