TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Windshield wipers inoperable in 2018.32.4

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by tpedwards, Sep 1, 2018.

1. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Has anyone else had trouble with windshield wipers in 2018.32.4?

I had 2018.32.4 pushed in a desperate attempt to resolve the IC reboot in my non-AP P85. However, I discovered that my windshield wipers no longer work. Pushing the stalk to manually trigger a wipe does nothing either.

I did check the wiper service mode which DOES work. The stalk just does not control the wipers. Turn signals and brights work fine, by the way. They also worked fine in 2918.28.5.

MCU reset had no effect.

Any suggestions? I hate to call to have another release pushed, but I’m afraid I have a safety issue on my hands. I drove in the rain last night for over an hour of my three and a half hour journey.

2. N..8

N..8 Member

I'm having no issues with 32.4 just went out to check to make sure but they work.

3. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Now I’m wondering, what’s the warranty on software (i.e. software updates)?

My car is now out of the bumper-to-bumper warranty. The drive train is still covered for another three years. However, what about the software? If a TPMS sensor fails, I’m on the hook. What if a software update disabled (collateral damage) something that had been working fine?

I will likely have to schedule an appointment with the service center. There will be some diagnostic time, I imagine. Will this be covered by software warranty? That product (latest update) is just a few weeks or even a few days old.

4. tpedwards

tpedwards Member

Windshield wipers fixed. The problem was in the stalk. I asked them to save the broken part. After inspection, I found that a small ribbon cable had broken. Nearly $500 to replace (labor and tax included), for a stalk? No, for the subassembly:
    [​IMG]

This is substantial. I don't feel great at spending $500 for a stalk, but knowing this subassembly was replaced I understand why the cost was so high. Actually, but for the size, $500 seems cheap. I just wish that I could core exchange for a rebuilt subassembly.

Hmmm, opportunity?

5. tpedwards

tpedwards Member