Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield wipers work except when it is raining.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2020 Model X has developed a cool new feature where the windshield wipers shut off randomly while it is raining. I am in Northern California so this new behavior is fortuitous given that we are experiencing atmospheric rivers of precipitation. My wife was driving the car across the Golden Gate Bridge, and the wipers just stopped working in the middle of a torrential downpour. This is clearly dangerous.

Question 1: Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Is there any 'easy' fix?
Rebooting the car sometimes works.
Turning the control stalk off and on sometimes works.
Jostling the car back and forth with swerves sometimes restarts the wipers.

2. Is it 'normal' to expect a month-long turnaround for a repair request from Tesla?

Realizing there is no facility to call anyone to arrange an appointment, I dutifully made a repair appointment in the app. The repairmen showed up five days later and saw that I did not have a garage and that they could not make the repair in the rain. I smiled as we all let the irony "soak in."

They came back on a dry day and installed a new wiper motor. It did not correct the problem.

My next step is to bring the car into the repair facility. They have offered a repair slot a full three weeks from now, three weeks during which it will be unsafe to drive the car in the rain. I could resort to renting a car.

Should I expect Tesla to offer a loaner?
How would you engage the company if you were in my shoes?
Go to the repair facility and raise a stink?
Get huffy in a showroom?

I am frustrated that my fancy EV is unsafe to drive and won't be addressed for three weeks, and that the customer-service flow chart for users is one-way and I have no direct representative.

Advice welcome.

My 2020 Model X has developed a cool new feature where the windshield wipers shut off randomly while it is raining. I am in Northern California so this new behavior is fortuitous given that we are experiencing atmospheric rivers of precipitation. My wife was driving the car across the Golden Gate Bridge, and the wipers just stopped working in the middle of a torrential downpour. This is clearly dangerous.

Question 1: Has anyone else experienced something similar?

Is there any 'easy' fix?
Rebooting the car sometimes works.
Turning the control stalk off and on sometimes works.
Jostling the car back and forth with swerves sometimes restarts the wipers.

2. Is it 'normal' to expect a month-long turnaround for a repair request from Tesla?

Realizing there is no facility to call anyone to arrange an appointment, I dutifully made a repair appointment in the app. The repairmen showed up five days later and saw that I did not have a garage and that they could not make the repair in the rain. I smiled as we all let the irony "soak in."

They came back on a dry day and installed a new wiper motor. It did not correct the problem.

My next step is to bring the car into the repair facility. They have offered a repair slot a full three weeks from now, three weeks during which it will be unsafe to drive the car in the rain. I could resort to renting a car.

Should I expect Tesla to offer a loaner?
How would you engage the company if you were in my shoes?
Go to the repair facility and raise a stink?
Get huffy in a showroom?

I am frustrated that my fancy EV is unsafe to drive and won't be addressed for three weeks, and that the customer-service flow chart for users is one-way and I have no direct representative.

Advice welcome.
Just checking that you have tried turning off Auto Wipers (Beta) in Controls? I had to resort to this yesterday as, for some reason, the Auto feature has become more flaky than usual and left the windscreen covered with rain without turning on the wipers. So, I have gone into manual mode until a fix is hopefully issued.

BTW, my 2015 MS Auto windscreen wipers (also Beta) are nearly faultless and have been for years. Go figure.