Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshield woes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Scheduled to get my new Y on Saturday but thought I'd chime in. I drive a Jeep and have had probably 4-5 windshields in 8 years. The slope of the windshield I think is the reason. I would imagine the Y is slanted more so the rocks should be less likely to crack it?

Scheduled to get my new Y on Saturday but thought I'd chime in. I drive a Jeep and have had probably 4-5 windshields in 8 years. The slope of the windshield I think is the reason. I would imagine the Y is slanted more so the rocks should be less likely to crack it?
hey Milford ma hiya im right next door in uxbridge but yes the Ys windshield is still pretty straight up compared to other cars

Well; 15 months of ownership and 19,000 miles. Last week was my third windshield replacement. Yesterday, apparently I picked up a tiny pebble and a chip and crack ensued. Hopefully Safelite and repair it, the drives to the SC are far too frequent.

Am I the only one? 3 (possibly 4) windshields in 15 months is CRAZY. I’ve replaced 1 in my life prior to this.

Has there been any scientific study as to the strength of this glass?

Once my insurance cuts me off, I’m going to have to get rid of the car I think. $4k in windshields is absurd, no?
Just got my first rock, (5K miles)cracked all across the windshield 🤦🏻‍♂️ No windshield insurance 😬🤦🏻‍♂️ MYP $1200

After getting hit last week with a large rock, I was thinking this is one tough windshield. It was a big one. I actually saw it coming at me and the impact noise was substantial. But, instead of the expected starburst,, just four tiny microchips. Just lucky I guess.... It did get a ceramic coating with the rest of the car but I doubt that helped any.

Attachments

• microchips.jpg
    microchips.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 90
Well it’s windshield number three for me. In my 40 plus years of driving, I had replaced 1 windshield prior to the MY. Since Oct. 2020, I have now needed to do so three times.

Safelite, who I suspect must love me, speculates it’s the size of the windshield. I don’t really buy this. The angle looks like it shouldn’t be an issue. For example, it’s not flat like a Jeep. Could it be the quality of glass?

My insurance keeps paying so it’s not a huge issue. Just plain weird.

its the angle of the glass, model y is pretty straight up compared to other cars especially for how low the car sits, most glass now a days is very thin anyways
Well it’s windshield number three for me. In my 40 plus years of driving, I had replaced 1 windshield prior to the MY. Since Oct. 2020, I have now needed to do so three times.

Safelite, who I suspect must love me, speculates it’s the size of the windshield. I don’t really buy this. The angle looks like it shouldn’t be an issue. For example, it’s not flat like a Jeep. Could it be the quality of glass?

My insurance keeps paying so it’s not a huge issue. Just plain weird.

Any current or former Jeep Wrangler owners here will feel your pain...

Zero experience with the glass protecting films but may be worth investigating.
Jeep Wrangler and Model Y owner here, I feel the pain. Both on second crack replacement with <10k miles. A feather hits wrangler windshield and it cracks. Model Y first was an impact. Second had zero impact, checked multiple angles/lighting, nothing on the entire crack. Trying to get it replaced under warranty as a stress crack; want to avoid a 4th windshield claim on my insurance if I can with it not being impact related.