Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windshild wipers not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

David99

Supporting Member
Jan 31, 2014
Nomad (mostly US)
My good old 2014 Model S developed a new issue. A few weeks ago during very heavy rain the wiper stopped working while driving on the freeway leaving me with poor visibility. No setting on the control worked except spraying wiper fluid. Rebooting the MCU seemed to help but that's still a 2 minute delay. Unfortunately it happened again and again over the following weeks and it is now so frequent that driving in the rain has become a safety issue.

After having it happen so many times I noticed that I don't need to reboot the MCU. Eventually the system seems to reset itself and they start working again only to fail again a little later. What I also noticed is it only happens when the I use the two automatic settings. If I turn the dial to the third or forth setting, which is manual low and high, the wiper will continue to work without issues.

Based on that I think it's safe to assume it's not the stalk/switch. It also is not the mechanics or motor of the wipers. It seems to be an issue with the automatic system that works in connection with the rain sensor. My car is pre AP so it doesn't have a camera, it has an actual rain sensor.

Has anyone noticed a similar issue?

For reference to anyone else reading this thread, I fixed my issue by replacing the fuse box. It may sound odd, but in the later pre-facelift models (and all facelift models) the fusebox(s) was changed and the user-serviceable relays that control the wipers were removed and replaced with PCB mounted relays inside the fuse box. These sometimes fail and clearly make it all but impossible to fix, without actually replacing the whole fusebox.

The fusebox part number on my car was 1034405-00-A and I replaced it with a 1034405-00-F (looks physically identical). At present there dont appear to be any problems.

Reactions: TimT