Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Windsor, ON Test Drive Event Jan 16-18 (b/c Michigan is the King of Luddites)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Windsor, ON Test Drive Event Jan 16-18 (b/c Michigan is the King of Luddites)

I live near Detroit and despite the not-so-progressive approach to selling cars here in Michigan, I was able to attend the afore mentioned test drive even this past weekend and I had an opportunity, correction the privilege, to test drive the P85D. Before I get into my thoughts about the car, I just want to say how amazing TMC is and what an awesome place for people like me to read all about the owner’s experiences. I am a long time stalker of the website but first time poster. I hope to join the owner’s circle one day but that day is still a little while away (student loans) but enough about me, here is what I thought of THE BEAST!

Where do I even begin?! First impression as I drove up to the hotel (Waterfront Hotel) and saw two beauties just sitting there in the valet circle, a Grey and a Black, both had the 21” dark wheels and despite being covered in dust and salt, they both looked absolutely gorgeous, the black more so than the grey but thats just a personal preference.

There were three Tesla employees present at the hotel, one from Toronto and the other two from Columbus, OH. The two employees from Columbus drove the two Model Ss (I think thats the correct pleural) from Columbus the day before the event. Of note, they told me how difficult it was for the Canadian Border Customs Officer to understand why they had to cross into Canada until one of the employees pulled up the Tesla webpage on the touchscreen with the event details and only then did the border patrol allow them to pass!

After some more back and forth about the car, we walked out to the car and mind you, this was the first time I have seen a Model S for more than a few seconds at a time. I couldn’t help but stare and I quickly realized that the Model S is a sizable car! We get into the car and the employee starts going over the features of the car and I was taken aback by the size of the touchscreen. It was monolithic, it was unfathomable, how dare a car company place this Brobdingnagian monstrosity in the center of the dash?! I loved it to say the least. This particular car did not have the Next Gen seats but I found the seats to be very comfortable, the driver position was ideal. I adjusted my seat and off we went.

The very first thing I noticed was aggressive regen but after a few minutes of driving, I started to get hang of it and found it quiet enjoyable. The roads around Windsor aren’t in pristine condition but I could not believe how comfortable the ride was (air suspension) despite the massive wheels with the low profile winter tires. We drove in traffic for a little while and I got to test the TACC which was fantastic, why don’t all car come with this technology standard?! Then we finally made it to a local freeway and this is where I got to experience the launch. From a complete stop, I mashed the go pedal and in an instant, my body felt a force that reminded me of my days at Six Flags, I wanted to scream but no sound would come out, it was truly spectacular and all the words in the English language cannot describe the awesomeness of that experience until you experience it in person. I was also amazed at how "small" the car felt from behind the wheel, it felt like it was on rails around curves, very precise and no wasted movements. I finally had a Tesla grin of my own. It was everything I had hoped for and more.

Lastly, Nothing that I have written in this review is new information but I felt compelled to do so because despite Michigan lawmakers bending over backwards for the franchised dealers, Tesla found a way for those of us near Windsor to experience a Model S in person that is pretty cool. The future looks bright for Tesla and no Luddite will be able hinder their progress.

I feel sorry for you; after that test drive, you'll very likely end up buying one.

If you planned on only an S60 like I did, you may end up with a P85D just from the roller coaster factor.

Welcome to the club!

Thanks Silver. I fully intend to purchase a Model S soon but I think you are right about the P85D, the lower tier models cannot match the sheer acceleration. Since I have yet to pilot the 60 or S85, I cannot make any comparisons between the models but just from reading TMC, I imagine they are plenty fast for day to day driving.

PS, my family and I lived in Parsippany for 5 years in the late 1990s, A few of my good friends still reside in Parsippany.

So in an effort to get a more responsible and efficient pairing for my R8 after my infiniti lease was up, I picked up a Ford Fusion Energy plug-in hybrid. What an epic mistake.

Once I was close enough to getting rid of it, I planned to get an S60 for my daily/commute car. I drove an S85 (faster/more powerful) to get a general idea, and i really loved it. Then There was a stealthy black/black P85+ just staring at me when we got back from the test drive, I just had to ask for a try.

Fast forward, and I own a P85 as well now. The way I see it, it's a totally unreasonable decision, but if we were all being reasonable, we would be buying Leafs or i3s with range extenders right?

And by the way, I just moved to the area recently, and am loving it! Feel free to come visit us in the garden state anytime, especially with our (relatively) cheap electricity!

Sad to hear about your experience with the Ford Fusion plug-in, it seems like that cars like the Fusion plug-in are a gimmick by the traditional manufacturers to meet EPA guidelines and "increase" the overall fuel economy of their brand. With each car show, we see all these new plug-in vehicles from every major manufacturer that goes a whopping 20-25 miles using only electric mode and lets be honest, thats just pathetic. None of the major car companies want to build an EV from the ground up b/c it cost too much money and it would hurt their "bottom line" which is all the more reason I'm glad Tesla is rewriting the script.

I definitely enjoyed my town in Parsippany but once I finish residency in Detroit, I fully intend to move back to North Carolina (where my family moved to from Parsippany). The weather really spoils you in NC, Charlotte (where my parents live) averages 300 days of sunshine a year. Once I get down there, I fully intend to invest in solar panels to power my Tesla.

Gotta say, I'm impressed with your collection of vehicles. I'm a huge fan of the R8. How often do you find your self driving the R8, given the fact that you have an amazing Tesla in the garage?

One man's "unreasonable" is another man's "environmentally conscious"... :wink:

So in an effort to get a more responsible and efficient pairing for my R8 after my infiniti lease was up, I picked up a Ford Fusion Energy plug-in hybrid. What an epic mistake.

Once I was close enough to getting rid of it, I planned to get an S60 for my daily/commute car. I drove an S85 (faster/more powerful) to get a general idea, and i really loved it. Then There was a stealthy black/black P85+ just staring at me when we got back from the test drive, I just had to ask for a try.

Fast forward, and I own a P85 as well now. The way I see it, it's a totally unreasonable decision, but if we were all being reasonable, we would be buying Leafs or i3s with range extenders right?

And by the way, I just moved to the area recently, and am loving it! Feel free to come visit us in the garden state anytime, especially with our (relatively) cheap electricity!