Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winery Destination Charger + New Model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have some questions about installing a destination charger. I currently live in a condo (poor charging options) with my girlfriend, and she commutes about an hour to her family winery in the Willamette Valley every day. The model Y I am buying will be a commuter car for her, and I have tried to convince her that installing a level 2 destination charger is a good idea for winery business and ideal for our charging situation.

I am a bit confused about how destination chargers work.

1) Will the winery pay for power and the person charging pay Tesla?
2) Are there any fees to know about?
2) Can any Tesla that shows up use it?
3) Can a non-tesla electric car use it?
4) Can someone show up to charge, not visit the business, and sit at the charger for hours? Time limit?
5) Is there a way to password protect? Like, buy a bottle of wine and get a free charge code.
6) What about charging after hours? If the entry gate is closed will the charger still show on a map?

Thanks!

Tesla has ended the Destination Charging program. They will still do some selected projects for cities, parks, etc, but for private businesses it's done. That said, you can still install L2 charging, you're just going to have to cover the bill yourself.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
It may make more sense to simply install an L2 charger on the property at her family's expense (it is business expense so 50% cheaper for them to do it). This costs $200-$500 for the charging unit and $500-$1000 for the install depending on how complicated the work is. Then the cost of electricity is also paid by the employer. The biggest challenge is getting them to complete the project in time for your car (time for them to think, time for them to find an electrician, time for electrician to do the work, etc).

If you install "destination charger" and your wife is using it 9-5 M-F (or whatever), it doesn't make much sense. She needs a dedicated charger. You don't need to justify it as a win for the business - just a one time bonus. It is a reasonable ask even if she was working there not for her family.

Definitely it can make more sense than working with your condo association.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Tesla has ended the Destination Charging program.
@zedtava Besides that it's over, you were overthinking what the Destination Charging program was anyway. There was no payment or billing or fees involved in any of it and no one was paying Tesla. It was much simpler than that. Tesla would give the wall connector units and sometimes help pay for installation, but after that, all costs were supported by the business. And the exchange for it was that Tesla would then put the location on their maps on the website and in the car navigation, so car owners would see them (advertising-ish) and be more likely to go there. That was it.

• Informative
Reactions: gaswalla
@zedtava Besides that it's over, you were overthinking what the Destination Charging program was anyway. There was no payment or billing or fees involved in any of it and no one was paying Tesla. It was much simpler than that. Tesla would give the wall connector units and sometimes help pay for installation, but after that, all costs were supported by the business. And the exchange for it was that Tesla would then put the location on their maps on the website and in the car navigation, so car owners would see them (advertising-ish) and be more likely to go there. That was it.

So it will no longer be marked on the tesla charging map if her business puts one up and offers it for customers to use?

My girlfriend pretty much runs the winery business, and I want for her to have a place to charge in the morning/night when she stays on the property while attracting EV customers during the day (range anxiety going out into country). The location is Yamhill Valley Vineyards, and it is right off a busy highway, and is between the Oregon coast and Portland (a popular route with few chargers).

Is there any benefit to using a tesla charger vs another company? Do Teslas only show Tesla chargers? Do you have to register chargers? Is it required that they are connected to internet? Any recommendations on which one will allow the greatest control (like passcode control) so that it is used by customers only?

Thanks!

You can fill out Tesla's destination charger form and see if they contact you.

1. Tesla shows only Tesla chargers right now
2. You fill out their form and they contact you, the details beyond that are unknown and constantly changing.
3. No internet
4. No passcodes
5. Tesla does nothing for you except maybe puts you on the map and maybe offer some advice

You can also register non-Tesla J1772 chargers on websites/apps like PlugShare.

• Helpful
Installing a Tesla destination charger, and perhaps also a 2nd charger for other EVs is a great idea for a Winery.

Will allow area EVs to visit the Winery, and visit the gift shop, restaurant, tasting bar etc while getting a charge.

It adds to the eco image of the winery and brings in additional customers.

With so many companies rolling out EVs, it will soon become almost manditory to entice that population to come up for a visit.

She should contact Tesla directly and see what their current options and costs are.

Tesla maps currently show both Superchargers and destination chargers on their maps.

Facility owners can set their own policy for people to use their chargers. Open to the public, only available for customers, ask at the desk etc.

Oregon has extremely low electric rates, as so much comes from Hydro.

Reactions: Big Ike
Installing a Tesla destination charger, and perhaps also a 2nd charger for other EVs is a great idea for a Winery. Will allow area EVs to visit the Winery, and visit the gift shop, restaurant, tasting bar etc while getting a charge.
Chargers do provide a competitive advantage. The charger-equipped hotels I stop at usually have a mess of Teslas in the parking lot.

I think business sponsored low power chargers (7 kW) make sense if the customer will be on the premises for an extended period such as a day long meeting or overnight stay at a hotel (8 hours - 56 kWh). They may also offer some value for longer restaurant meals (90 minutes - 10.5 kWh). I don't think they make much difference for short visits to a retail premises (30 minutes - 3.5 kWh) and may encourage EV owners to park in your lot, visit the store for 5 minutes to 'legitimize' plugging in and then walk around town for a couple of hours while charging the vehicle. If I was in the OPs situation, I'd just put in a charger for 'employee use'.