Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wing/Side Mirror Disaster!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having previously complained about this issue, I now need to report my worst feared nightmare.

This cost was discovered during my annual service, where I incurred a most unwelcome repair quote! Why? Because of Tesla's revised policy on opening manually folded /closed wing/side mirrors, then the so called 'safety system' automatically opening them above 29 mph!

When driving my Tesla D.85, which is a fast accelerating vehicle along English country lanes & trying to maintain a speed exactly at, or below 30 mph is difficult. But (the so called Tesla 'Safely Expects' have now determined ) my car wing mirrors must now automatically open up again at 30 mph or above!

This is irrespective of the narrowness & condition of the roads, where oncoming vehicles so often are incapable of judging their own vehicle's width, then to make matters worse, often to avoid so many potholes (that we get in Europe,) drive wider venturing onto/into the oncoming lane, thereby causing wing mirrors to impact!

This in my case resulted in me receiving an initial quote of
£850.00 or ($1198.84) to repair the driver's mirror! Which after some considerable complaining was reduced. However had the mirrors not unfolded, this accidental damage would have never occurred. This SAFETY POLICY does not work in Europe & in particular in the UK, where our road conditions are very different from the US.

Please Tesla, revise & restore full manual control for us UK owners, to have the ability to control our Tesla's mirrors according to local road conditions.

I know this is not helpful to you, but having driven a Model S in the UK myself, when it gets that narrow I would be going slower...I do however agree that there is really no need to automatically open the mirrors at any speed as the driver is perfectly capable of doing that themselves.

Reactions: Terry_B58
I also feel your pain, the trouble is, if the mirrors are only manual controls there will be as many numpties driving without mirrors as there are without lights.

Wing mirrors are a legal requirement, so as Ames as stated, slowing below the 30mph and allow the mirrors to fold is the only option.

Wing mirrors are a legal requirement

The vehicle requirement is that it must simply have a mirror, or mirrors. Where I live, I think there only needs to be a driver's side exterior mirror - unless you're towing a trailer. I don't think an interior mirror is even required by law if you have two exterior. etc. etc.

Once a car is equipped to conform with dept of transport requirements in countries where it's sold, the operating requirements are on the driver -- to adjust and use mirror/s (and all other things of the vehicle).

Tesla's compliance was met when mirrors got mounted to the car. Not all mirrors are auto-folding, and the fact some can is here-nor-there for legal obligations of equipping a car.

The fact folding mirrors work stupidly in a model S, is of course, on Tesla. So fix it big T !!

Whenever Tesla designs override manual controls with "smarter" things.. they get themselves into trouble.... pretty consistently.

My cure for folding mirrors: don't use 'em any more. They stay folded out. Forever.

Last edited:
What we really need is cameras instead of mirrors. With today's technology they could be much better in a lot of ways and add very little to the cost of a vehicle!

Have you test driven a Honda? Way back in 2014 when I was considering my Tesla.. Honda already had side camera and mirror combo on passenger side. Mirror must still be a requirement of law so they stick one on the car with the camera. As soon as I realized the camera image is showing on center dash (automatically when signaling in that direction!) and is more useful than the mirror... never looked at that mirror again for the remainder of the test drive.

Regulations need to catch up to new tech all the time.

What might happen is mirror shrinkage to the point of having vestigial spot mirrors just for compliance with arcane shiny glass regulations... until one day.. poof the shiny glassy part of the camera is gone and it's just a camera that remains. Designs might put cameras behind the glass of mirrors. Then mirrors shrink in all dimensions. Finally housings stop sticking out on stems, and attach directly to sides of the car... like Tesla fender side cams.

Reactions: Kutu
In UK, as the OP is located, the minimum requirement by law is nearside, offside and interior mirror. Interior can be omitted if it can not give a clear view to the rear (panel vans etc.).

Tesla is safe, it has all 3 mirrors on all vehicles it sells. So they're legal.

Good for any market around the world, which is why most makers do this - one design and done.

Reading this thread I keep coming back to - you are driving at 30 mph close enough to oncoming traffic that the 5" extension of the mirrors matters? Just asking because that amount of trust in other drivers would not work in the US.
For perspective, my '86 Ford pick up has 10" extension on the mirrors, and do not fold. They have been hit twice in 30 years.

Mate I’d advise against driving faster than 30mph when you’ve got less clearance than a wing mirror from oncoming traffic.

Also I just drove a Model X all over England, down many a country lane, and everyone I passed had their mirrors open.