Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wing/side mirrors stuck folded and RHS door handles not presenting

hooky

Jan 15, 2020
United Kingdom
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this thread already exists, but I've had a search and can't find this problem mentioned elsewhere.

Yesterday, when I unlocked my car, only the LHS door handles presented, the RHS door handles did nothing and also the wing mirrors did not unfold.

Reaching across from the LHS passenger seat (UK) I could open the driver door and then walk around and climb in. The car drives, but the wing mirrors will not unfold. I've tried a hard reset, leaving it overnight, unlocking via app, using the touchscreen to fold the mirrors and using the button on the driver door, but nothing.

It seems unlikely to me that all four mechanisms have all died at the same time, so am thinking wiring or fuse (or software), but looking at fuse board layouts it doesn't appear to me that any one fuse controls all these items. I could definitely be wrong though.

Extra info if any of this could be relevant:
- 2015 Model S 85D
- Replaced eMMC in March 2020 via third party
- rear RHS door mechanism replaced Oct 2019

I've booked via the app a SC appointment, but in the meantime was wondering:

- can I manually force the mirrors open so I can safely drive, or will that damage the mechanism inside?
- if anyone has had a similar experience?
- if there was a non-SC solution?

Thank you!

Merle

Apr 5, 2019
Tahoe
Zip tie can can be inserted and tied off to get you the ability to easily enter and exit. If you don’t have it set up yet, a credit card can be used (inserted) to present enough of the handle to get it open for you to enter.

When the mirrors on mine didn’t present, it was the main MCU that was going out. I stopped driving it then.

hooky

Jan 15, 2020
United Kingdom
When the mirrors on mine didn’t present, it was the
Zip tie can can be inserted and tied off to get you the ability to easily enter and exit. If you don’t have it set up yet, a credit card can be used (inserted) to present enough of the handle to get it open for you to enter.

When the mirrors on mine didn’t present, it was the main MCU that was going out. I stopped driving it then.

Thank you - I'd used the credit card trick, but not the zip tie. Good shout.

On playing around a bit more, I realised that most of the electrics on both doors on the RHS have "gone" and not just the presenting handles and the mirrors. The doors aren't unlocking (so not just lack of presenting handles) but can be unlocked from the inside. The interior LED lights in the door trim are unlit. The warning red light on the door frame is unlit when the door is open, and the windows won't open using the control (although when the door opens it does nudge up and down as normal, so the power is there, but not to the control panel).

However, I did manually unfold the mirrors and there wasn't any horrendous sound as I did it, so think that should be fine. It's at least driveable now until the SC appointment.

I'll update once resolved. Fingers crossed not the MCU, but we'll see...

David29

Supporting Member
Aug 1, 2015
DEDHAM, MA

On playing around a bit more, I realised that most of the electrics on both doors on the RHS have "gone" and not just the presenting handles and the mirrors. The doors aren't unlocking (so not just lack of presenting handles) but can be unlocked from the inside. The interior LED lights in the door trim are unlit. The warning red light on the door frame is unlit when the door is open, and the windows won't open using the control (although when the door opens it does nudge up and down as normal, so the power is there, but not to the control panel).

However, I did manually unfold the mirrors and there wasn't any horrendous sound as I did it, so think that should be fine. It's at least driveable now until the SC appointment.

If this had happened on one of my previous non-EVs, I'd have guessed a missing or corroded ground connection in a wiring harness somewhere....Just a guess, mind you.

icemankaka

Aug 18, 2015
Hong Kong

how did it go? my 2015 MS just had the same problem literally today

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC