Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wing/side mirrors stuck folded and RHS door handles not presenting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this thread already exists, but I've had a search and can't find this problem mentioned elsewhere.

Yesterday, when I unlocked my car, only the LHS door handles presented, the RHS door handles did nothing and also the wing mirrors did not unfold.

Reaching across from the LHS passenger seat (UK) I could open the driver door and then walk around and climb in. The car drives, but the wing mirrors will not unfold. I've tried a hard reset, leaving it overnight, unlocking via app, using the touchscreen to fold the mirrors and using the button on the driver door, but nothing.

It seems unlikely to me that all four mechanisms have all died at the same time, so am thinking wiring or fuse (or software), but looking at fuse board layouts it doesn't appear to me that any one fuse controls all these items. I could definitely be wrong though.

Extra info if any of this could be relevant:
- 2015 Model S 85D
- Replaced eMMC in March 2020 via third party
- rear RHS door mechanism replaced Oct 2019

I've booked via the app a SC appointment, but in the meantime was wondering:

- can I manually force the mirrors open so I can safely drive, or will that damage the mechanism inside?
- if anyone has had a similar experience?
- if there was a non-SC solution?

Thank you!

Zip tie can can be inserted and tied off to get you the ability to easily enter and exit. If you don’t have it set up yet, a credit card can be used (inserted) to present enough of the handle to get it open for you to enter.

When the mirrors on mine didn’t present, it was the main MCU that was going out. I stopped driving it then.

When the mirrors on mine didn’t present, it was the
Zip tie can can be inserted and tied off to get you the ability to easily enter and exit. If you don’t have it set up yet, a credit card can be used (inserted) to present enough of the handle to get it open for you to enter.

When the mirrors on mine didn’t present, it was the main MCU that was going out. I stopped driving it then.

Thank you - I'd used the credit card trick, but not the zip tie. Good shout.

On playing around a bit more, I realised that most of the electrics on both doors on the RHS have "gone" and not just the presenting handles and the mirrors. The doors aren't unlocking (so not just lack of presenting handles) but can be unlocked from the inside. The interior LED lights in the door trim are unlit. The warning red light on the door frame is unlit when the door is open, and the windows won't open using the control (although when the door opens it does nudge up and down as normal, so the power is there, but not to the control panel).

However, I did manually unfold the mirrors and there wasn't any horrendous sound as I did it, so think that should be fine. It's at least driveable now until the SC appointment.

I'll update once resolved. Fingers crossed not the MCU, but we'll see...

On playing around a bit more, I realised that most of the electrics on both doors on the RHS have "gone" and not just the presenting handles and the mirrors. The doors aren't unlocking (so not just lack of presenting handles) but can be unlocked from the inside. The interior LED lights in the door trim are unlit. The warning red light on the door frame is unlit when the door is open, and the windows won't open using the control (although when the door opens it does nudge up and down as normal, so the power is there, but not to the control panel).

However, I did manually unfold the mirrors and there wasn't any horrendous sound as I did it, so think that should be fine. It's at least driveable now until the SC appointment.

If this had happened on one of my previous non-EVs, I'd have guessed a missing or corroded ground connection in a wiring harness somewhere....Just a guess, mind you.

how did it go? my 2015 MS just had the same problem literally today

I went yesterday to SC Tesla and they think that the wires between the car and the left door is often the problem and gave me an appointment. This morning i have made a try and check the fuse box no2. I only moved the F41 fuse, (Left door command) and everything became all set !!! Only a bad contact with this fuse :) I cancel my appointment.

Reactions: icemankaka
Hi Everyone,

Apologies if this thread already exists, but I've had a search and can't find this problem mentioned elsewhere.

Yesterday, when I unlocked my car, only the LHS door handles presented, the RHS door handles did nothing and also the wing mirrors did not unfold.

Reaching across from the LHS passenger seat (UK) I could open the driver door and then walk around and climb in. The car drives, but the wing mirrors will not unfold. I've tried a hard reset, leaving it overnight, unlocking via app, using the touchscreen to fold the mirrors and using the button on the driver door, but nothing.

It seems unlikely to me that all four mechanisms have all died at the same time, so am thinking wiring or fuse (or software), but looking at fuse board layouts it doesn't appear to me that any one fuse controls all these items. I could definitely be wrong though.

Extra info if any of this could be relevant:
- 2015 Model S 85D
- Replaced eMMC in March 2020 via third party
- rear RHS door mechanism replaced Oct 2019

I've booked via the app a SC appointment, but in the meantime was wondering:

- can I manually force the mirrors open so I can safely drive, or will that damage the mechanism inside?
- if anyone has had a similar experience?
- if there was a non-SC solution?

Thank you!
Hello Teslaverse
It is a few years on, but on Friday (26th Jan 2024) my 2015 Model S 70D - which I have owned from new - experienced (almost) exactly the same issues with Front & Rear RH door handles not presenting (and Rear not even opening from inside); RH & LH Door Mirrors not unfolding; and ALL windows only doing the door open drop, but not operating on the buttons.
I have tried booking a service appointment through the app, and although I have had a response, they are advising there is a backlog, and will respond in "due course" - so far 3 days and counting.
Is there anything you think I could do to try and get driving again?
Thanks in advance

Ah sorry everyone for the lack of follow up.

It was, of all things, an issue with the driver doorhandle. Apparently various electrics run through the same circuitry, and when the handle went it broke those circuits (or something like that). The door handle was replaced, and everything then worked again.

Until it was fixed I manually pushed the wing mirrors into place and climbed over from the passenger side, whilst taping up the drivers side window. It was far from ideal but was workable.

Thanks for your prompt reply to my query!
At least I can open the driver's door from the inside so I don't have to climb over, and the window does fully close when the door is closed so it is weather-tight, so I can wait a bit for a Tesla response.
I take it there were no issues in manually pushing the mirrors into place?
thanks