Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winking headlights

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, bit of a wierd one today. I had a couple of people flash their lights at me this morning. Thought it was a bit strange and discussed it at work. The guy I was discussing it with was infront of me as I left and he said one of my lights looked like it was on full beam. For reference it was only just turning the lights on (not full beam), as part way through my journey they turned off. When I got in and it was a bit darker (just to make it easier to see on a wall) I checking full beam, dipped and sidelights and all settings worked OK. I couldn't see anything on this online so wasn't sure if it was just a software glitch. Any other thoughts?

Go to the settings and do a headlight recalibration, preferably at a level area with a wall like 20 meters in front of you. That way you can adjust the light cutoff to be slightly lower than horizontal.

A lot of Teslas come out of the factory with the lights aimed too high, I've been annoyed by Model 3s on the highway myself.

It's a 69 plate, so still has radar (although not sure if they're turning that off). The symbol wasn't on for auto high beam. I'll check this morning when I start the car.

Edit. Did a quick calibration and the car did lower them. Weird as it was only moted a month ago, but it's not been dark enough to check lights properly.

Last edited:
It's a 69 plate, so still has radar (although not sure if they're turning that off). The symbol wasn't on for auto high beam. I'll check this morning when I start the car.

Edit. Did a quick calibration and the car did lower them. Weird as it was only moted a month ago, but it's not been dark enough to check lights properly.
My drivers side had tilted up for whatever reason. However, since I live in Bay Area, no one flashed at me.

Thats because drivers here are so bad, it’s pretty common to see drivers using high beams all the time, without any reason. 😖😀

Went to the menu and adjusted them, everything is fine now.

Hi, bit of a wierd one today. I had a couple of people flash their lights at me this morning. Thought it was a bit strange and discussed it at work. The guy I was discussing it with was infront of me as I left and he said one of my lights looked like it was on full beam. For reference it was only just turning the lights on (not full beam), as part way through my journey they turned off. When I got in and it was a bit darker (just to make it easier to see on a wall) I checking full beam, dipped and sidelights and all settings worked OK. I couldn't see anything on this online so wasn't sure if it was just a software glitch. Any other thoughts?
This started on my M3 RWD right after the last SW update. When just getting in the car to drive, the headlights appear to blink off/on very quickly. And randomly. It would do this for the first few minutes driving away from being parked and then it seemed to stop. I did not have auto-high beam turned on. It seemed coincident to the first 2022.36.6 update. Then yesterday I got another 36.6 update. Maybe that was a bug fix? Not sure. I haven't noticed it the last day or two but maybe the conditions weren't right. Also my car has the matrix lights.