TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Winrun R330 tyres

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by VOTS01, Jun 14, 2017.

1. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

In tossing up between the Conti and Michelins for a P85D I came across the Winrun R330's (Winrun R330 245/35R21 96W Tyres - Buy Online Price $173).

I'm mildly curious - does anyone have any experience with these tyres? I suspect it is 'you get what you pay for' but worth asking.

2. Blue heaven

Blue heaven Member

I can't comment on the quality of the Winrun tyres but the only thing keeping your expensive piece of machinery glued to the road is four patches of rubber, make sure that's the best you can get, the Michelin Primacy may well be worth the extra $600 a set.

3. wpapua

wpapua Member

Agree, Blue heaven, I have a Winrun in the frunk/froot, as a spare only. I expect it will serve its purpose well, & hope, now that I have it, I won't need it !

4. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

I once got caught out on a business trip and had to buy a pair of business shoes at Target for $35.

Don't make your car run around in $35 shoes!

• Funny x 1
  5. moemoke

moemoke Member

I hope the load rating is up to the weight of a Tesla, I see it is class 97 which is 730kg per tyre, how does that compare with the original tyres?

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

The Michelin Primacy 3ST should also be considered if you are looking for a quality tyre but not a sports tyre. Designed for Australia.

7. ShockOnT

ShockOnT Quickish

It that a low noise tyre? ie. foam lining?

8. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Low noise but not a foam lining. One person is using Falken tyres as well, apparently with good results. I have no idea as to longevity, but they are half the price of the Michelins.....

9. raynewman

raynewman Member

They are definitely good tyres. I replaced my factory Good Years with them ($1360 the lot fitted from JAX - half the price of Tesla) and have found them to be exceptionally quiet compared to the Good Years.

10. Vegas

Vegas Member

I found the Continentals good (P90DL - 21's) - they are quieter and definitely wear better than the Michelins and are a bit cheaper - but they don't grip as well when you launch - apart from that, they're excellent.

11. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

Thanks all.

In the end I decided to opt for the safer route - change my current Continentals for a pair of Michelin Super Sports (245/35/21). I have had no issue with the Continentals but wanted to see what the Michelins are like.

I'm still curious on the Winruns but perhaps another time and another car.

• Like x 1
  12. doctorwho

doctorwho Member

Yes much quieter but I'm not sure about the wet weather grip compared to the Goodyears

13. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

As it turns out...

One of the reasons I decided to replace the rear tyres (aside from tread depth) was that there was a slow leak in the left tyre. Replacing the tyres unfortunately did not stop the leak.

Took the car back to Bob Janes this morning and was told the rim was cracked :(

I could ask the question of whether I should get the rim repaired or whether I should get it replaced but I think I know the answer...

Love the 21'' rims but they are becoming expensive...

14. Mark E

Mark E Member

15. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

Bought a new rim from Tesla (fortunately they had one at short notice) and had it fitted.

For those interested this is the cracked rim :(

IMG_9457.JPG IMG_9454.JPG

PS

Couldn't resist testing the Michelin Super Sports - not sure if it is because they are new - but they result in more traction control (than the Conti's) at launch.

16. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

On the bright side, the cracked rim will make a really fancy hose reel for the back yard.

• Funny x 4
    • Like x 1
  17. VOTS01

VOTS01 Member

I love it - a hose reel it shall be.

18. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

I gave up on low profile wheels/tyres many years ago after a disastrous experience with a different car. Would not touch them with a barge pole. EVERYTHING about them is expensive.

19. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Having just recently driven a 75 with Michelin primacy as a loan car, the noise difference compared to the Goodyears is very striking. Grip and longevity on the Goodyears is great, but not the noise level! I have about another 15000 km in my Goodyears but seriously thinking of swapping over.

20. raynewman

raynewman Member

I'm running the Primacys (JAX $1360 installed) and, yes, they are MUCH quieter than the GoodYears I had.