Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter battery range

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’ve had my new MYLR for 2 1/2 weeks. Ever since I’ve had it the weather has been cold with temps in the 30F range. Looking at the Energy screen it estimates 202 miles at 80% charge. Which squares with what I have been experiencing while driving around.

Is this what others have been experiencing? I know the range is less in Winter but this seems extreme.

I’ve had my new MYLR for 2 1/2 weeks. Ever since I’ve had it the weather has been cold with temps in the 30F range. Looking at the Energy screen it estimates 202 miles at 80% charge. Which squares with what I have been experiencing while driving around.

Is this what others have been experiencing? I know the range is less in Winter but this seems extreme.
Seems reasonable, 250 ish mile range on full.

Looks pretty similar to last winters thread:

My range is about 10% less than summer.
20210320_115723.jpg

20210921_074537.jpg

Reactions: IMFletcher
It will help if you fully precondition the Tesla Model Y while plugged in before driving. This will warm the battery and the passenger cabin for the start of the drive, the Model Y will not have to use additional energy to warm up the battery pack and the coolant circulating in the cabin heat exchanger right away. Short drives are less efficient than longer trips for this reason, unless you fully precondition the Tesla Model Y before you drive. Depending on the temperature of the battery pack and the garage or outside air temperature this can take 15 minutes, even longer in sub zero temperatures.

Reactions: RobDeBank and KJD
It will help if you fully precondition the Tesla Model Y while plugged in before driving. This will warm the battery and the passenger cabin for the start of the drive, the Model Y will not have to use additional energy to warm up the battery pack and the coolant circulating in the cabin heat exchanger right away. Short drives are less efficient than longer trips for this reason, unless you fully precondition the Tesla Model Y before you drive. Depending on the temperature of the battery pack and the garage or outside air temperature this can take 15 minutes, even longer in sub zero temperatures.
Good points. I should have mentioned that my 10% winter range hit is with a garage kept car that is preconditioned before my commute.

Good points. I should have mentioned that my 10% winter range hit is with a garage kept car that is preconditioned before my commute.
10% is actually a very modest range hit as at lower temperatures every aspect of driving uses more energy. The rubber compound in the tires is stiffer, the battery is less efficient at converting stored energy into electrical power, the heat pump has to work harder. The tire pressure may have dropped with the lower temperatures unless you compensated by adding air to the tires. There is drive fluid inside the front and rear drive units that is like ATF fluid, that increases in viscosity at lower temperatures. The air is denser too. At highway speed, in colder weather, range loss could easily exceed 30% when compared with milder temperatures.

Here in Upstate NY, I went from a summer average of 270 Wh/mi to ~330 Wh/mi. Same trip (back and forth to work), but with temps in the low 20's and High 30's. We get below 0 up where I live, so it will be "exciting" to see what the car can do. So far the heat pump has done a great job.

If I'm heading out to run several errands knowing I'll be parked for less than 30 minutes or so, I don't shut the car off when I get out. You waste a ton of HEAT/ENERGY shutting the car off and letting the cabin get cold again. I find that really reduces my consumption and I always come back to a warm and fully defrosted vehicle with FULL regen.

If I'm heading out to run several errands knowing I'll be parked for less than 30 minutes or so, I don't shut the car off when I get out. You waste a ton of HEAT/ENERGY shutting the car off and letting the cabin get cold again. I find that really reduces my consumption and I always come back to a warm and fully defrosted vehicle with FULL regen.
How exactly do you do that? Just hit the fan icon on the app once the car locks?

I don't think this reduces consumption, rather apparent consumption. The Wh/mi increases when the heat is on ONLY when the car is not in park. Because you have a warm car when you put it in drive, the Wh/mi reads lower after your trip.

I do the same thing though - leave the heat (or ac) when parking for less than 30 minutes if it's really cold or hot out. I do it for comfort though.

Be prepared to lose 20-30 percent range in the winter. Pre heating the car helps, staying below 70mph, and of course driving behind a semi. It’s about 40-50 degrees in Illinois.

Attachments

• 3667E8B2-8441-46A4-BB43-2EC8DFFB4CA5.png
    3667E8B2-8441-46A4-BB43-2EC8DFFB4CA5.png
    325.5 KB · Views: 84
Be prepared to lose 20-30 percent range in the winter. Pre heating the car helps, staying below 70mph, and of course driving behind a semi. It’s about 40-50 degrees in Illinois.
I've read about this drafting idea but no one really says what the distance is that you should do this. Obviously, too close and you take the risk of the car getting sandblasted. But I wonder what the optimal distance is, or the max distance where you can still get some positive effect...

Reactions: SpicyPaneer

I drive 27 miles each way and consuming 10 kWh of energy each way. With a 77 kWh total battery capacity I estimate a 100% range of 207 miles or so. So yeah similar to yours. Slightly higher than yours because I live in MA not MN and probably slightly warmer that where you are. Have had my car for a similar length of time.

I'm taking a mini-road trip this evening to see my son's band play in Philly. Temps will be upper 30's, so it will be interesting to compare this trip with one I took in September. Going to the same area so it will be a good comparison. That day, the average temp was 79 degrees.

At 80% my MYP 2021 with 20000 miles shows 222 miles left.
I’m in NNJ it’s 29 degrees now outside.