Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all

Anyone seeing their battery draining quicker due to the temps dropping?

Just over the past week or 2, I’ve seen usual daily usage increase from 15-20% to 30-40%

Yeh I understand the using heaters more and stuff like that but is it normal to see a lot more drain around this time of year?

Short answer - yes!

This is what I have seen over 18 months
Screenshot 2021-11-27 14.12.52.png

Its widely documented on here, however here are our current stats. Majority of drives in the 5 - 20 mile range so better sample size for those. Under 270 miles recorded at top two temperature ranges (20 miles in 30-35 sample) so not really as representative as the cooler drives.

Note that the longer drives are overall more efficient as the car warms up which offset the higher proportion of 'departure costs' at start of every trip.

These are for a non heat pump car, however, we don't run a hot car and use the seat heaters often with minimal (low manual fan speeds) or even occasionally no cabin heating even at coldest temperatures, so the benefit of a heat pump in providing cabin warmth would probably not be significant in our case.

1638025605139.png

1638025687398.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Bootneckshuffl
Even on long journeys in my pre-heat pump I would say there is maybe a 20% increase in energy usage in winter. but on short journeys it is much much higher.
But then MPG on short journeys in the winter in my old diesel were also pretty horrendous. On longer journeys not so much since colder higher density air is good for engine efficiency and the cabin heat is essentially free but anything less than 10 miles was pretty poor. Difference was I didn't care that much

Yes! Today was the first day I had to schedule a quick splash and dash at Keele SuC for my regular 240 mile round trip to Liverpool. Although it wasn't that quick, I didn't get over 52kW despite driving an hour to the supercharger with battery preconditioning and arriving with 21%.

Average consumption was around 300Wh/m, normally I'm just under 250.

It's worth noting the LFP batteries in the MIC SR+ suffer a little worse than the batteries in the other models, it's one of the slight weaknesses of that technology, I think they're happier when they're warmer so Tesla heat them a little more. Bjorn did a video and they're much better than last year after some software updates but he still thought they lost about 30% of their range in the wet and cold.

My LFP battery is getting145 miles @ 75 mph @ 2C verses 202 miles @ 75 mph @ 15C, so yeah around 30% loss when cold.

Also regen is not so strong as my old NCA SR+ when it's cold (below 10C) so have to use the brakes sometimes. Not a bad thing in the winter as it keeps the disk brakes from seizing up and makes it more controllable on slippery roads...

• Informative
Reactions: Electron Mike
Anyone noticed the mile capacity on the app drop like a stone recently since it’s been cold?

My LR always says 100% charge would be up around ~300 but plugged it in today and it’s saying 244. I don’t ever recall the capacity on the app being dynamic like that according to the temperature. Is that new?

Or am I the only one?!

Anyone noticed the mile capacity on the app drop like a stone recently since it’s been cold?

My LR always says 100% charge would be up around ~300 but plugged it in today and it’s saying 244. I don’t ever recall the capacity on the app being dynamic like that according to the temperature. Is that new?

Or am I the only one?!
No it's normal in Winter.

Reactions: -monky-