TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Winter charge failure: don't use scheduled charge when very cold.

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by Ollie Jones, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Ollie Jones

Ollie Jones Member

#1 Ollie Jones, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Last night was the coldest yet for my Model S. 5F/-16C. It failed to charge overnight from my home 240V charge station, leaving me unable to get to work this morning. Grumble.

I scheduled my charge for after midnight as usual. When I plugged in to the charger yesterday evening, I got the usual blinking green acknowledgement from the charge connector. But, the schedule time came, and nothing happened.

The lesson I've learned: if it's going to be below 10F / -10C don't schedule your charge. Start the charge as soon as you park the car, so its battery, warmed up by use, will accept the energy.

Tesla service suggested using the app to warm up the car's cabin shortly before the charge is supposed to start. That isn't going to work for me.

The car did let me charge it during the day today.

I do have the cold weather package, etc. I wonder if they need to add the EV equivalent of an engine block heater?

Or maybe I should just move to the Bay Area in California?

2. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I've seen others report this as well, but so far, it hasn't affected me. This is my 5th winter with my Model S and mine has charged okay on schedule even at temps below that. Not sure why...

• Informative x 1
  3. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

They already have one better: an integrated battery pack heater.

What they are (apparently) missing is a line of code that will turn on the battery heater while plugged in to maintain the battery temp high enough to allow charging. That's assuming this isn't just a one-off bug.

4. Boourns

Boourns Member

Wait I thought that was the point of leaving the car plugged in -- so that it will have energy to maintain the battery temp?

• Like x 2
  5. Rocky_H

Rocky_H Active Member

Something is wrong here. The 6kW battery heater should easily be able to overcome a temperature down to 0F or below. It is a known behavior if you are trying to charge in those temperatures from a 120V outlet that is only about 1.4kW. There just isn't enough power there to run the heater hard enough to warm the battery up, so it never will get up to a level where it can charge.

But you said this was a 240V outlet. You didn't say how many amps, but if it is 40A, that should be 9.6kW. That should easily be more than enough to warm up the battery and then charge it, and I have never heard of scheduled charging having any effect on whether it runs the battery heater. Most people do have their cars set on scheduled charging, and they charge fine in temperatures that cold in the middle of the night if they have enough kilowatts to run the battery heater plus some left over for charging. So if you've got at least a 6kW source, it should have charged, and if it didn't, Tesla needs to find out what went wrong.

6. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

Make sure that Range Mode is turned off or the battery won't be heated. No problems here with scheduled charge even at -21C three nights ago on 80A HPWC charge.

• Informative x 1
  7. jsmay311

jsmay311 Member

Even when plugged in?

8. Boatguy

Boatguy Member

This issue has been touched upon several times in other threads. There is a Catch-22 situation where the battery is cold soaked and can neither accept or deliver power. One of the threads I read said that Tesla Service hotline told him to use an L2 charger, before trying to Supercharge a cold battery. But you've got an L2 charger so perhaps it's an issue of still trying to jam in too much power. What is your charge current level?

Here is a suggested work around. Start your charging when you plug it in at night, but lower the charge current to something that will keep it charging most of the night so that the battery is warm enough to preheat the car when you wake up in the morning. Maybe 15a-20a, whatever is appropriate for the power you need to restore. This is just a guess at a workaround, not a proven technique.

• Like x 3
  9. Ollie Jones

Ollie Jones Member

It was probably some kind of one-time bug. The car was clicking in the morning.

10. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

There has been at least one other post about this issue, which I think is software related. Try contacting [email protected] about it.

11. Matias

Matias Active Member

I have done scheduled charge several times in minus 20C with deeply cold soaked battery without problems.

• Informative x 2