Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Charging Ideas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wanted to get some ideas from anyone for some winter charging and avoiding winter garage slop.

So, in hindsight I probably didn’t have my HPWC installed in the best place in my garage but what’s done is done. I charge overnight and when I am ready to go to work in the morning I unplug and wrap the cord around the HPWC. I am usually in my suit when I do this and I wanted some ideas on elevating my charging cord off the ground.

I have about an 18’ run from HPWC to charge port right down the middle of the garage, meaning I can’t affix the cord to the garage wall. I can envision having to wind up the cord covered in slush, salt and winter guck while in my suit. Not good.

I figure if I can just elevate the cord off the ground it need not lie in the winter slop inside my garage but I wanted to know if anyone is using something specific for this purpose. Any ideas?

I can’t back the car in on the other side of the garage because the car won’t fit so that isn’t a solution either.

I’ve seen people suspend the charge cord from the ceiling. Some people even have fancy devices to retract the end of the cord up and away when it’s not in use, but even if you just let the end dangle above the floor you would probably be in better shape.

plastic or wood pallets maybe? a few of these lines up down the center might do the trick. pallet.jpg

I’ve seen people suspend the charge cord from the ceiling. Some people even have fancy devices to retract the end of the cord up and away when it’s not in use, but even if you just let the end dangle above the floor you would probably be in better shape.

I second this idea if the cable is long enough. It would probably be a stretch; if even doable from the front. My thought would be to put in a few eyebolts on the ceiling and suspend the cable with bungee cords or otherwise, if you have the length to keep it up and out of the way. Then just leave the cable that way for the winter.

I've studied this guy's HPWC location as an idea for my garage:

• Helpful
Reactions: dhanson865
The cable picks up salt and sand grime from the floor. Then he will probably get it on his clothes.

Is that something that does happen? Like I mentioned I’m super curious since if hanging it makes charging better during the winter, I might do something similar since Chicago does have a winter climate. This would be my first Winter charging at home/owning my car.

Can't you just back your car into the garage? Cord will not touch floor at all potentially depending on where your wall charger is located.

My garage has equipment in places that make backing it in on either side impossible. If I do that on the side I park on, I wouldn't be able to get out of the driver side. Right now I let my passengers out before I enter the garage.

I guess that Florida winter slush/sleet/snow isn't a problem while in your suit?
no we only have floods and hurricanes. I don't know how long you run your cord but with my setup I only use about 3 feet of cord the rest is coiled on a hook. there are so many workarounds for this issue. or you could always just move to FLA and escape those dreadful winters.

Is that something that does happen? Like I mentioned I’m super curious since if hanging it makes charging better during the winter, I might do something similar since Chicago does have a winter climate. This would be my first Winter charging at home/owning my car.

Purely doing it to protect my clothes and shoes.

On bad snow days my cars are typically covered in that really gross mixture of salt/snow/dirt. That mixture lays along the floor and because my garage is insulated it will melt and migrate evrrywhere (including the cable on the floor).

Even a bit of contact with your suit pants or jacket and you probably need a change of clothes if meeting with clients that day.

Trying to avoid the hassle.

The hanging option seems like it might be best.

• Informative
Reactions: Bebop