Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter delivery vs. Summer delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, Interested in understanding a point of view on taking delivery of a new Tesla in the winter months vs summer months? Is there any info to suggest that introducing a new Tesla battery immediately into a chicago winter would "damage" the functionality of the battery? My car will be garaged but not in a heated garage. It is attached to my house and I believe the garage is insulated. Any thoughts are appreciated. Currently I'm taking delivery in Dec.

Thanks for all the help.

Hi, Interested in understanding a point of view on taking delivery of a new Tesla in the winter months vs summer months? Is there any info to suggest that introducing a new Tesla battery immediately into a chicago winter would "damage" the functionality of the battery? My car will be garaged but not in a heated garage. It is attached to my house and I believe the garage is insulated. Any thoughts are appreciated. Currently I'm taking delivery in Dec.

Thanks for all the help.

No worries....actually taking delivery in the winter will make you learn right away what the car can do in winter with regards to range. It might be a shock if you are used to summer first.

I'll agree with hingisfan. I got mine in Toronto during November last year on a snowy day. I immediately had to drive to winterize my cottage 2-hours away. I was fine with the range and learned how to modify my long range driving. When summer hit, I was amazed at how much further I could go.

The experience must be different (and I imagine disappointing) for anyone who got their car in August to see their range cut by 25% in January.

I believe when it comes to temperature the warranty states that it's void if the car is exposed to ambient temperatures below -22°F for more than 24 hours at a time, or something like that. Something about temperatures below -22F for 24 hours. So you should be good in Chicago.