TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Winter delivery vs. Summer delivery

Discussion in 'Model S' started by ElArc, Oct 27, 2015.

1. ElArc

ElArc New Member

Hi, Interested in understanding a point of view on taking delivery of a new Tesla in the winter months vs summer months? Is there any info to suggest that introducing a new Tesla battery immediately into a chicago winter would "damage" the functionality of the battery? My car will be garaged but not in a heated garage. It is attached to my house and I believe the garage is insulated. Any thoughts are appreciated. Currently I'm taking delivery in Dec.

Thanks for all the help.

2. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

No worries....actually taking delivery in the winter will make you learn right away what the car can do in winter with regards to range. It might be a shock if you are used to summer first.

3. Chrisizzle

Chrisizzle Member

I'll agree with hingisfan. I got mine in Toronto during November last year on a snowy day. I immediately had to drive to winterize my cottage 2-hours away. I was fine with the range and learned how to modify my long range driving. When summer hit, I was amazed at how much further I could go.

The experience must be different (and I imagine disappointing) for anyone who got their car in August to see their range cut by 25% in January.

4. shelbri

shelbri Member

Keep it plugged in whenever it isn't in use and don't worry about it. I leave mine outside (no garage) plugged in at our Vermont ski home during the winter and haven't had any issues.

5. mikeash

mikeash Active Member

My understanding is that being cold is actually good for the batteries if they're not being used. If they are being used, the car will heat them up appropriately.

6. ElArc

ElArc New Member

Thanks everyone for your comments..gives me the confidence I need to move forward with delivery

7. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I believe when it comes to temperature the warranty states that it's void if the car is exposed to ambient temperatures below -22°F for more than 24 hours at a time, or something like that. Something about temperatures below -22F for 24 hours. So you should be good in Chicago.