Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@StealthP3D

My other cars had issues in the winter too
However, when the windows froze (and they did) they froze to the window frame
Thus, you could still open the door by pulling on it hard
Or by using alcohol and an ice pick and a scraper

Even with cars with framed windows it's a bad idea to pull on frozen doors hard to open them, you can pull the weather-stripping off the car. They still need to be maintained with something like Gummi Pflege. I'm surprised you didn't know this.

With the Frameless window, the window freezes to the frame of the car.
Thus I’m nervous that pulling hard will break the window

That shows good sense. Please maintain your door seals. Actually, the window is not the first thing to break, it would be a tear of the door seal, just like any other car.

Dude I say this respectfully
You’re from Washington
I’m a San Franciscan who has lived in Seattle, and now Minneapolis

Your pathetic Washington winters are NOTHING like Minnesota, where our HIGH temp might be minus 10 for a week
We might not hit 30 degrees for MONTHS

That probably explains why you don't know about maintaining your door seals. Because they are a MUCH bigger problem when you get thaw followed by arctic/mountain air. And where I'm at is NOTHING like Seattle in terms of weather!

So Spare me your worldly knowledge.
You don’t know crap about me, or what I’ve done
You know nothing about MN winters either

Actually, I traveled through MN in January when it was -10F without windchill. North Dakota was much worse, it was -20F and blowing 35-40 mph. You have it easy!

I am an extremely intelligent person who has attended the absolute best institutions in the world
I am using all of your recommendations
I’m not some dumb ass that needs to be “taught” how to manage in winter

I didn't call you a "dumbass", I was trying to help since I have more experience with doors freezing shut than you do. Not only is my climate more prone to that sort of thing, I've been a motorist through more winters and with more cars. If you don't want my helpful suggestions, don't read my posts. I'm sure there are other people who may find them useful.

The problem:
It’s so cold here that your eyeballs freeze. Literally
We have been pounded by snow. It is unrelenting.

It sounds like it's starting to get to you. Can I recommend a vacation somewhere further south? Personally, winter is my favorite season which is why I search out mountain storms.

My S has done an admirable job
As I said, it’s the best all around car on the market
By leaps and bounds
It is 10x better than I thought it could be

But it is NOT the best winter car ever. Which is fine
Because it’s AMAZING

Well, that's good to hear! I'm sure you would like the Model 3 even better. It has addressed many of the weak points identified in the Model S. I'm not claiming ALL Tesla are the best winter cars ever, but my P3D is the best winter car I've ever owned or driven. That's a fact.

So please, just stop
You’re embarrassing yourself

Got a mirror?

Other cars can have similar issues but the end result wasn’t so bad and easier to recover from. I think if I did not have the luxury of a garage and a backup car, I’d hate this car in winter. You have to baby it through winter. I’ve never had to lube gaskets on any car. I’ve had frameless before. They didn’t damage chrome or ever get out of sync (of where full up is) once the glass was released they were good to go.

They are a weak design for winter. If you baby it (like lube gaskets) and NEVER trust it to over power the ice (as my other cars did 99% of the time) you can get by.

On my VW CC with frameless windows. I can’t tell you how many times I didn’t clean and hear a loud crack and thought, oh shoot that was a bad idea. But it was perfectly fine. And when it didn’t go down it never lost it’s place. Where in much milder conditions ( because I baby it) it’s almost assured failure if you see ice on the side windows (and sometimes even when you don’t see anything). I suspect the motors are weak because they probably went with a less heavy motor than most cars.

That all said the “cold weather” update to “baby” the windows further by never closing them fully until you drive has helped quite a bit. I think water collects at the base of the window and does not drain out when the window is fully up. Keeping them down gives them more opportunity to drain and air out that seal.

Lubing the upper gasket does help a tiny bit, but not where the real problem is. I’ve seen the window refuse to move with the door open.

Every car has weaknesses, this just one of them.

Last edited:
Other cars can have similar issues but the end result wasn’t so bad and easier to recover from. I think if I did not have the luxury of a garage and a backup car, I’d hate this car in winter. You have to baby it through winter. I’ve never had to lube gaskets on any car.

Well, I don't even own a garage and I haven't had to do anything on this car that I didn't do on all my previous cars and it's still been the best in the winter nasties.

I think it might be related to the fact that the Model 3 is the most expensive car many people have ever owned. This is seen in the trade-in data where people were trading in older, less valuable cars like Toyota Prius, Honda Accords, Honda Civics. The Model 3's performance, cool-factor and "greeness" caused people to spend $70,000 on a new car who had never even bought a new car before, let alone a $70,000 one. And people are treating it with kid gloves, afraid to hurt it, afraid to slide off the road in the ice and snow. In short, they are TERRIFIED owning this car. And it's causing a certain amount of double standard. A little slip or slide that wouldn't have given them pause in a Honda Accord scares the crap out of them in their brand new Model 3. And the oldest Model 3's are only a year old - it's all so new.

Myself, I don't treat new cars with kid gloves. I take care of them but I don't obsess over them because I know that within 15-25 years they will probably be sent to the auto recyclers and put in a crusher. All cars value goes almost to zero in a much shorter timeframe than most of us have left on earth. In the meantime I want to enjoy them and get good service out of them. So I'm not afraid to have some fun with them.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden
Thanks to all of you for your thoughtful replies. Below are a few more details:
  • ... and owning a house in Tahoe for 30 years...
  • ... sub-zero package struck me as overkill for California and the occasional trip to the mountains.
I am sorry, but really? You have owned a home in Lake Tahoe for 30 years, live in the bay area, and did not think it would be a good idea to buy the sub-zero package? Lake Tahoe is not typical "California" in the winter. It snows, a lot. After 30 years of home ownership in Tahoe, you should know that.

Reactions: mswlogo
You realize this is the Model S forum, right?
Most of us spent far more than $70k on our cars

No matter how much you spend on a car, the windows and doors will still freeze shut when weather conditions are conducive to that. Even a $1 million Ferrari/Bugatti/Lamborghini, etc. will freeze shut if parked in such conditions.

I will take your advice.
I leave for Sydney On Tuesday.

That's excellent news, I'm sure you're ready for some non-freezing weather by now.

No matter how much you spend on a car, the windows and doors will still freeze shut when weather conditions are conducive to that. Even a $1 million Ferrari/Bugatti/Lamborghini, etc. will freeze shut if parked in such conditions.

That's excellent news, I'm sure you're ready for some non-freezing weather by now.

My Jeep windows have never ever frozen shut in conditions the Tesla will. Night and day difference. Oh my Jeep cost more than some Model 3 Trims. So we can put that excuse to bed.

Why can’t you admit Tesla could do a lot better here. Why do you think it’s discussed so often?

The only time my VW CC froze was when Ice was VISIBLE at the base of the glass on the OUTSIDE and I was to lazy to clean it thinking it would over power it, and usually did. If I cleared that it would always open. The Tesla’s freeze INSIDE. From trapped water/moisture that might have occurred days ago.

I washed my cars yesterday. They are both in a 45-50F garage. It’s cold out today 25F and windy. I guarantee if I took it to work, when I leave work they would be frozen. I guess I’ll take the Jeep today. I need to baby my baby.

Why can’t you admit Tesla could do a lot better here. Why do you think it’s discussed so often?

It's 19 degrees F here this morning. I just checked my Model 3. Not frozen shut. Windows operational, door handles a little stiff but not frozen. I don't know why it's discussed so often because both our Model 3's are no worse than our previous ICE cars (and much better than our VW Eurovan that would need some real pounding to get the windows and doors to free up).

The only time my VW CC froze was when Ice was VISIBLE at the base of the glass on the OUTSIDE and I was to lazy to clean it thinking it would over power it, and usually did. If I cleared that it would always open. The Tesla’s freeze INSIDE. From trapped water/moisture that might have occurred days ago.

I think you had better check your door drains to make sure they're not plugged with something. It sounds like humidity is building up in there. If your problem was a design issue and endemic to the Model 3, I think both my wife's and my Model 3 would have the issue considering that we live in one of the wettest areas of the country, don't have a garage, and have been getting hard freezes almost every night.

I washed my cars yesterday. They are both in a 45-50F garage. It’s cold out today 25F and windy. I guarantee if I took it to work, when I leave work they would be frozen. I guess I’ll take the Jeep today. I need to baby my baby.

This is how I baby my Model 3:

20190213_103744sm.jpg

Like any other car I treat this way, after a rain followed by a hard freeze it might need a few impacts with the heel of my gloved hand to free the seals but then it works normally. If I'm plugged in I generally pre-heat the car to reduce battery cycling and then I don't even need to scrape the ice off the windshield.

I'm not sure why you're having so much trouble but I really think you need to check that your door drains are clear.

Like any other car I treat this way, after a rain followed by a hard freeze it might need a few impacts with the heel of my gloved hand to free the seals but then it works normally. If I'm plugged in I generally pre-heat the car to reduce battery cycling and then I don't even need to scrape the ice off the windshield.

None of my cars have ever needed that. Other than scraping ice off to see through it.

Most of my cars have been Jeeps, Audi or VW.

Tesla is the first one I have to baby and plan accordingly around it's weaknesses.

One time all 4 windows were frozen and there was not a snow flake on it. It's because I washed it a couple days earlier.

Fluffy snow is not the problem. It's rain (or washing), followed by cold weather that is the big issue.

I use -15F window washer fluid. The issue was that the nozzles were iced up.

LOL, not nearly good enough. I use -47 F fluid because I find the -35 stuff wouldn't freeze in the lines, but would freeze on the glass as soon as I squirted it if it was really cold.

I have bought a window cover that I use if our cars are outside and the weather is sketchy - awesome. In fact better than lifting wipers, but you have to have it with you and remember to put it on.

Yeah, I have one too. Remembering I have it is another thing.

• Love
Reactions: neroden
Apologies in that I am a new Model 3 dual motor owner (October 18). I live in Milwaukee and it has been a horrible snow filled below zero winter. My approach to this as I have learned the ropes of this car have yielded an outstanding winter weather AWD car:
1. I bought Michelin snow tires for all 4 wheels--huge difference, really effective AWD now, even in a few inches of snow on the road
2. I park outdoors but on cold nights leave it charging which keeps the battery at least slightly warm. Then 15 minutes before I need the car I put it on high climate control from my iPhone
3. The defroster (red not blue push twice) is a very high power high temp front windshield defroster--works great if you leave on a few minutes and thaws windshield washer blades as well
4. Rear defroster also very effective
5. If the iPhone controller won't turn these on go out to the car put on all the hi power stuff and press "keep climate on" when I leave the car button
6. All this happens with car still plugged in so no mile reduction using all this stuff
7. Keep car charged up after work, I've noticed up to 40% mileage reduction at below zero temps

Last week, I drove from the SF Bay Area to Lake Tahoe. Above 5000 feet, it was snowing (heavy flurries), snow on the surface, temperature 29-31F, on a two lane highway (US50).
We stopped for 2 hours while an avalanche was cleared, and then resumed travel in the dark. Soon, the road was barely visible through our iced windshield, with occasional white-outs from blown snow. I was reluctant to scrape the windshield due to concerns that I would be hit by a sliding vehicle, but when I was able to scrape it, it quickly frosted again.
While the traction was superb, there are serious Model S winter driving shortcomings:
  • The front windshield defroster is grossly underpowered, inadequate to keep ice from forming, and it was barely freezing
  • There are no heaters at the base of the windshield to keep the wiper blades from freezing
  • There are no heaters to keep the windshield spray nozzles free of ice
  • There is no wiper blade or spray nozzle to clear the rear windshield
  • There is no spray nozzle to clear the rear camera
  • Because I was unclear as to the meaning of the blue vs orange indicator on the front windshield defroster, I discovered there is no Tesla User Manual when there is no cell service
  • Without internet access, when I attempted to tune into an AM station for road conditions, I discovered that there is no AM radio
I drove slowly, peering through 2 to 3 inch gaps in the frozen windshield. When we finally arrived at Lake Tahoe, I spoke with a Model X driver at a super charger who reported a similar issues. It was an absolutely terrifying experience which we survived. With a couple of exceptions, I would expect these features on any modern automobile, and certainly all of them on a car costing $100,000.
First off, I think you are exhibiting an Americanized view in your observation that 29 degrees above "sub zero". As another post mentioned "sub zero" is merely another term for winter. If you go by the Centegrade scale "0" is 32 degrees Fahrenheit and I think that is a better reference for what the package is intended for, ie. below freezing. I live in Northern NJ and have had my "S" with the sub zero package for the last 3 winters. No issues whatsoever and very happy with its performance both in terms of traction and windshield visibility.

Weird, I have never had any issues like this. Not sure what people mean by putting defroster on red but if I select "up arrow" on the climate control screen and set the fan at 3 or 4 and the temperature at 79, the windshield clears immediately and stays clear of ice. And 29'F is pretty warm, hard to imagine any issues at such warm temperature. We have had temps down to 0'F and no issues with ice build up.

From the manual
The windshield defroster distributes air flow to the windshield. Touch once to defog the windshield (the icon turns blue). Touch a second time to defrost the windshield (the icon turns red and the heating and fan operate at maximum levels). Touch a third time to turn off and restore the air distribution, heating, and fan to their previous settings.

I agree with the other users. Some of it is user error. I drove this past weekend to mammoth and other weekends before without issues in 10-30 degree weather. Last year in Tahoe too. Front and rear Defroster on red. I don’t even use the front defrosters that much since icing doesn’t occur on the windshields. 2nd. Winter package was 1000 when I bought my car in 2016. I’ve always bought it as an extra on every car. 3rd. If you don’t have it - use the proper winter windshield washer fluid-it doesn’t freeze-never had that issue. Btw I haven’t had any cars with a rear windshield wiper or fluid. It doesn’t make sense to. At the angle of the rear window. It isn’t needed. I’ve only seen them on suv, trucks, vans and some crossovers with a vertical like rear window. Again use the rear defrosters. A lot of this can be resolved for asking for help prior to going up to the mountains. I’ve taken Audi, bmw, Toyota, Lexus, and Subaru to the slopes yet the Tesla has been my favorite for driving up in the mountains. It’s a matter of learning how to use the cars. I’ve done the same thing with other cars - not knowing how to use a feature. It doesn’t mean the car is terrible.

Correct - I didn't purchase that package. However, 29F is nowhere near 'sub-zero'.
Thanks for your post and info. So from the posting, it sounds as the Tesla operated pretty much like any other ICE car I've owned and going through that area under those conditions. I go over that pass regularly with my X and I purchased the winter package, and I have no issues that you describe.

As for me, I don't care about not having the manual local as I know the car by now and never needed to refer to it when driving, but sure, it might be nice to have it in memory for folks. I also don't care about the AM radio thing as I just use my cell phone to call the road conditions line for updated emergency info as it is updated more often than those am radio recordings anyway.

I wouldn't put too much thought into the "sub-zero" marketing on that package. Technically, it is sub-zero if you convert that temperature to centigrade. Much of the world uses centigrade you know ;-)

I hope you have better luck on your next trip. This sure is an unusual winter up here.