Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How do these tires perform? It was one of my options. I do have the stock 18 inch set i was planning on running but i could recap some money by selling them with 75%+ stock tread left.

I have to buy tires regardless if i use the 18s or 20's

The PA4 is an excellent “performance” winter tire - it trades ultimate snow grip for much better wet/dry road grip and performance. For the climate in Chicago, that seems a good balance.

If I lived in a more severe/snowier climate, I might choose a different tire.

Any experience with the Michelin CrossClimate+? I know they are technically all-season, but they have the three peak mountain snowflake, so must be decent in snow and ice.

If you live in an area with real snow, i'd get dedicated snow tires. In canada the all seasons are called 3 seasons.

I ran all season m+s with the mountain snow flake over the cascades one year, got to the other side, slowly, and went and bought snow actual snow tires.

If you get a few days of light snow a year where you are they are fine, if you have real snow or go over the passes a lot, just get snow tires.

If you live in an area with real snow, i'd get dedicated snow tires. In canada the all seasons are called 3 seasons.

I ran all season m+s with the mountain snow flake over the cascades one year, got to the other side, slowly, and went and bought snow actual snow tires.

If you get a few days of light snow a year where you are they are fine, if you have real snow or go over the passes a lot, just get snow tires.
I’ll agree with this. I run AT tires in the summer on my LX. Currently my summer tires are BFG KO2s with the three peak snowflake. A few winters ago I had them on about a month longer then I wanted waiting on my new winter tires. I can say they were terrible and scary most so on ice as Compared to my nokian Hakka’s.

I’ll agree with this. I run AT tires in the summer on my LX. Currently my summer tires are BFG KO2s with the three peak snowflake. A few winters ago I had them on about a month longer then I wanted waiting on my new winter tires. I can say they were terrible and scary most so on ice as Compared to my nokian Hakka’s.
I've got KO2s on my GX and found them way better than standard all seasons though I'm sure true snow tires are better. Of course I live in Southern California where true snow tires are completely impractical since you drive from 70 degree weather to the snow in a few hours. I wonder if these all-season 3PMSF tires are best in the warm "Sierra cement" snow we get around here. @AlanSubie4Life has a set of the CrossClimates but I don't think he's driven them in snow yet.

I've got KO2s on my GX and found them way better than standard all seasons though I'm sure true snow tires are better. Of course I live in Southern California where true snow tires are completely impractical since you drive from 70 degree weather to the snow in a few hours. I wonder if these all-season 3PMSF tires are best in the warm "Sierra cement" snow we get around here. @AlanSubie4Life has a set of the CrossClimates but I don't think he's driven them in snow yet.
I grew up in Tahoe (Lived there 24 years) and even up here in AK can attest that all season 3PMSP tires do ok to well on fresh snow. However firm packed, cold (as in <20F), or ice they Don’t come close to a true winter tire. And yes all seasons with 3PMSP is perfect for what you are doing living in the warm and driving into the mountains.

Please accept my apologies for redundancy if this has been addressed already. I did some minor searching but would appreciate feedback.

Situation:
M3P being delivered next week. Have new wheels (along with sways, coil overs, etc) on order and will have installed pretty much immediately. New wheels will be 20x9.5 Signature wheels running a square 275 width setup on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. I live in Cincinnati which gets limited snow every year (a few instances of a couple of inches, some cold temps). Working from home like many these days so driving little. That said, I’m not comfortable just putting the stock wheels with the stock PS4s on as my “winter” setup given the we live on a hill and need to be able to get around when necessary.

I’d like to figure out a setup with minimal investment. Sell the factory 20s with essentially brand new factory tires (seriously, car will likely have fewer than 50 miles before the new wheels go on) and try to find a 19” aftermarket setup with true all season tires? Have a shop pull the factory PS4s, try to sell them and replace with A/S 3s and run those on the factory wheels through the winter? Something else? Our winters aren’t nearly severe enough to warrant dedicated snow tires (grew up in Wisconsin, I know what real snow is lol).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Reactions: navguy12
Please accept my apologies for redundancy if this has been addressed already. I did some minor searching but would appreciate feedback.

Situation:
M3P being delivered next week. Have new wheels (along with sways, coil overs, etc) on order and will have installed pretty much immediately. New wheels will be 20x9.5 Signature wheels running a square 275 width setup on Michelin Pilot Sport 4s. I live in Cincinnati which gets limited snow every year (a few instances of a couple of inches, some cold temps). Working from home like many these days so driving little. That said, I’m not comfortable just putting the stock wheels with the stock PS4s on as my “winter” setup given the we live on a hill and need to be able to get around when necessary.

I’d like to figure out a setup with minimal investment. Sell the factory 20s with essentially brand new factory tires (seriously, car will likely have fewer than 50 miles before the new wheels go on) and try to find a 19” aftermarket setup with true all season tires? Have a shop pull the factory PS4s, try to sell them and replace with A/S 3s and run those on the factory wheels through the winter? Something else? Our winters aren’t nearly severe enough to warrant dedicated snow tires (grew up in Wisconsin, I know what real snow is lol).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

First - congrats!

Second, why are you replacing the springs and shocks before even driving the car for a little while?

Third - yes, consider selling the OEM 20s as they will likely easily fund whatever set of all seasons (plus wheels) you might choose

I definitely would NOT try using the PS4s even in a Cinci winter.

Hi All!

I'm looking for advice from folks that have been driving in snow with 20" wheels.
What is your experience driving with 20" wheels with winter tires in snow?

Background:
I have 20" wheels that came with the P3D+ and am planning to get new rims for the summer.
Thus, rather than loosing money by selling Teslas 20" rims altogether, I am debating to keep them for the winter and slap winter tires on them (say Michelin X-ice Xi3).
Yes I know, I know- not ideal. Small sidewall, more potholes, slush can be an issue, M3 is heavy..
This would be a no-brainer if I was keeping my 20" rims- I would just buy 18" wheels with Winter Tires.

If you can add if you're driving mostly in cities or in the countryside, if you had repetitive tire damage, had to replace entire tires, issues in slush etc this would be super helpful.
Trying to figure out how reasonable my options are.

Thanks a lot & greetings from Canada :)

Hi All!

I'm looking for advice from folks that have been driving in snow with 20" wheels.
What is your experience driving with 20" wheels with winter tires in snow?

Background:
I have 20" wheels that came with the P3D+ and am planning to get new rims for the summer.
Thus, rather than loosing money by selling Teslas 20" rims altogether, I am debating to keep them for the winter and slap winter tires on them (say Michelin X-ice Xi3).
Yes I know, I know- not ideal. Small sidewall, more potholes, slush can be an issue, M3 is heavy..
This would be a no-brainer if I was keeping my 20" rims- I would just buy 18" wheels with Winter Tires.

If you can add if you're driving mostly in cities or in the countryside, if you had repetitive tire damage, had to replace entire tires, issues in slush etc this would be super helpful.
Trying to figure out how reasonable my options are.

Thanks a lot & greetings from Canada :)

My car did well with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires on the OEM 20” wheels. If you get more/heavier snow where you are than we do in Chicago then you might want a more dedicated snow tire than the Alpins and at that point your options in 20” are somewhat limited.

Thanks for your replies!
Yea we get more snow here in Toronto and the northern Neighbourhoods.
I'm for sure getting dedicated Snow tires.
Worried about hitting snowed-in curbs and all the mentioned issues and if they are significant enough to justify a purchase of a full set of rims..

My car did well with Michelin Pilot Alpin tires on the OEM 20” wheels. If you get more/heavier snow where you are than we do in Chicago then you might want a more dedicated snow tire than the Alpins and at that point your options in 20” are somewhat limited.

I’d like to downsize my wheels for winter from 20” Michelin pilot sport 4s to Alpin PA4’s in 19”.

The only oem certified size of 235/40R19 doesn’t have a XL load rating. 235/45 DOES have the xl rating however.

Two questions- would I be fine with 92V in the oem size tire without XL? Second, I know speedometer and odometer would be ever so slightly off with the bigger size tire, but would 235/45R19’s for no problem?

Thanks for your replies!
Yea we get more snow here in Toronto and the northern Neighbourhoods.
I'm for sure getting dedicated Snow tires.
Worried about hitting snowed-in curbs and all the mentioned issues and if they are significant enough to justify a purchase of a full set of rims..

Is hitting snowed in curbs in an 85000 dollar car significant enough to justify the 2k in dedicated rims and snow tires to prevent damaging 5k rims at best and possibly much more; plus waiting to get a new set from tesla...........

yep, sure is ;)

Reactions: coleAK
Anyone have experience with Conti Viking Contact 7?

seems to be getting rave reviews, 225/50 is 20% cheaper 235/45 is most expensive 245/45 is in the middle.

Thoughts?

I'm in canada, snow tires are required, plus I drive over the cascades and rockies on a semi regular basis.

Anyone have experience with Conti Viking Contact 7?

seems to be getting rave reviews, 225/50 is 20% cheaper 235/45 is most expensive 245/45 is in the middle.

Thoughts?

I'm in canada, snow tires are required, plus I drive over the cascades and rockies on a semi regular basis.
The 225/50 tires would probably work the best in ice and snow, but you should probably get aftermarket rims for them that are around 7" wide. The stock wheels are 8.5" wide which is a little wider than Continental's recommendations and the tire will be very stretched on the wheel. This will make the tire ride and handle slightly different than Continental intended and make the wheel more vulnerable to damage.

I'm running 245/45 winter tires on the stock Aero wheels. I wanted to keep the stock rims for the sake of efficiency and the 245's provide a little more ground clearance and wheel protection than the stock size while being less expensive.

The 225/50 tires would probably work the best in ice and snow, but you should probably get aftermarket rims for them that are around 7" wide. The stock wheels are 8.5" wide which is a little wider than Continental's recommendations and the tire will be very stretched on the wheel. This will make the tire ride and handle slightly different than Continental intended and make the wheel more vulnerable to damage.

I'm running 245/45 winter tires on the stock Aero wheels. I wanted to keep the stock rims for the sake of efficiency and the 245's provide a little more ground clearance and wheel protection than the stock size while being less expensive.

Thanks, thats the one thing I was worried about was wheel width. I'm keeping the stock aero's as my winter set.

I'll probably go with 245, the 235 stock michelins look stretched to me. I just don't like anything about the stock wheel and tire setup.