Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not a subject matter expert but I do know that pure “summer” tires will turn rock hard at cold temperatures.

IIRC, when the temperature is consistently below 7°C, one should no longer use summer tires.

YMMV
Thanks!
Running the Model 3 Performance stock tires in temperatures below freezing, or on ice and snow, is a very bad idea. If you're lucky, you'll just have a lot of trouble getting around; if you're not lucky, you'll be looking for a new car after yours gets in a nasty accident. We won't even talk about really unlucky. If you want to stick with the stock wheels, and you're willing to trade off a bit of dry weather performance, I'd go up one size to 245/35R20 with something like a Vredstein Quatrac Pro or a Continental DWS-06 Plus. These tires will still be very susceptible to damage due to potholes due to the low profile, but at least they should have good traction in the dry and wet, and adequate traction in typical Chicago winter conditions.

If you want a more survivable tire in poor winter conditions where you may not be able to see hazards like bad potholes until too late, you should consider getting a set of 18" or 19" wheels and tires. For either one, I would also go up one size since there is a much greater selection of tires and the slightly taller sidewall will make the tire more durable, i.e. 245/45R18 or 245/40R19. Again, you'd want an all rounder like the Vredstein or Continental mentioned above. The advantage of doing this is that you could keep your Uberturbines and max performance summer tires on almost the entire year in Florida and enjoy the performance, and then just bolt on the all season tires and wheels for trips to the north.
Thank you as well! That is pretty much what I expected the answer would be but I wanted to verify. I was thinking 19" wheels would probably make the most sense, probably something like one of these:

Budget option, 19" Fast CS - Weirdly these look like one of the least expensive options and I actually like how they look.
19" MW03
19" EV01 - I hate how these look actually but I feel obligated to list them...
Titan7 T-S5
Tsportline 19" TSV
Tsportline 19" TS5
19" SV104 - I love these but not for the price!

With most likely some all season tires, like Michelin CrossClimate 2 All Season, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, or Continental DWS06 Plus All Season. As to why All Season rather than real Winter tires - I expect to possibly have the car see snow for maybe 2-3 weeks per year, and I think it might be nice to have the option to keep them on as needed or as procrastination demands. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?

Thanks!

Thank you as well! That is pretty much what I expected the answer would be but I wanted to verify. I was thinking 19" wheels would probably make the most sense, probably something like one of these:

Budget option, 19" Fast CS - Weirdly these look like one of the least expensive options and I actually like how they look.
19" MW03
Titan7 T-S5
Tsportline 19" TSV
Tsportline 19" TS5

With most likely some all season tires, like Michelin CrossClimate 2 All Season, Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4, or Continental DWS06 Plus All Season. As to why All Season rather than real Winter tires - I expect to possibly have the car see snow for maybe 2-3 weeks per year, and I think it might be nice to have the option to keep them on as needed or as procrastination demands. Does this seem like a reasonable plan?
I forgot about the CrossClimate2s. They might be the best choice of the bunch for your application. I definitely wouldn't go with winter tires for a trip from Florida to Chicago. If you had warm weather for most of the trip, the tires might be pretty much dead after only one trip; they get too hot and wear like crazy.

Regarding wheels, you might want to consider 8" wide wheels rather than the stock 8.5" width wheels, if you can get them. You'd get a little bit of protection for the wheels that way, and I doubt that you'd notice any other difference with an all season tire on the car. I would not go wider than 8.5" if you're running 235 or 245 width tires; the rims would just be hanging out there begging to be destroyed by any pothole or curb you come across.

Reactions: yankee_delta
Thanks!

19" MW03
Titan7 T-S5
Tsportline 19" TSV
Tsportline 19" TS5

Another possible wheel option, 19" x 8", 35mm offset, 22.7 pounds, come in black or gunmetal, only $225 each.

Thanks! Those are nice! I’ll probably end up going with those or the below (Fast Wheels), or Tsportline TSV on Black Friday:

I actually also really like the looks of the Model Y 20” Induction wheels but I read on the only thread where someone tried it that they don’t fit the 3, and I haven’t found a replica of them. Regardless of the wheels, I think I’ll end up doing 19x8.5” for size.

On a minor side note, does anyone have any experience with the Pilot Sport A/S4 versus the CrossClimate 2? From searching it looks like both have range hits but it seems to vary pretty dramatically for either one. Since these are mainly for long trips my biggest concerns are range, comfort and noise, but I’m willing to take a minor hit to those on going with 19x8.5”.

Thanks! Those are nice! I’ll probably end up going with those or the below (Fast Wheels), or Tsportline TSV on Black Friday:

I actually also really like the looks of the Model Y 20” Induction wheels but I read on the only thread where someone tried it that they don’t fit the 3, and I haven’t found a replica of them. Regardless of the wheels, I think I’ll end up doing 19x8.5” for size.

On a minor side note, does anyone have any experience with the Pilot Sport A/S4 versus the CrossClimate 2? From searching it looks like both have range hits but it seems to vary pretty dramatically for either one. Since these are mainly for long trips my biggest concerns are range, comfort and noise, but I’m willing to take a minor hit to those on going with 19x8.5”.
I've driven the A/S4 and the Crossclimate tires, but on different cars. My impression is that the A/S4 is better in the dry but the Crossclimate is significantly better on snow and ice. It all depends on what compromise you want. Regarding range, comfort, and noise, I would say that what I drove seemed very, very similar, but that was on the original Crossclimates, not the 2s. The 2s are supposed to be quieter and more efficient, but I don't have any personal experience with them.

I've driven the A/S4 and the Crossclimate tires, but on different cars. My impression is that the A/S4 is better in the dry but the Crossclimate is significantly better on snow and ice. It all depends on what compromise you want. Regarding range, comfort, and noise, I would say that what I drove seemed very, very similar, but that was on the original Crossclimates, not the 2s. The 2s are supposed to be quieter and more efficient, but I don't have any personal experience with them.
That is very helpful, thank you!

2021 M3P; Looking at Discount Tire for 18" Wheels; this may have been answered but searching these forums for a clear answer has made me braindead. The OEM offset is +35et, most of the wheels offered are either +30 or +40; from what I've read, I've gathered that the offset should be within 5mm difference / lower as this diameter decreases so +30? Can someone educate me on the severity of not having OEM offset ?

Or even better, anyone that has bought 18" wheels for M3P and the monster caliper from discount tire share your experience?

Hi all,

I'm looking to find an ideal Winter tire for my stock 20" Überturbines.

I live in the tri-state area and potholes can be an issue. The reason I'm staying with the stock wheels is because I love the looks, but, intend to buy a lighter 19" wheel setup for swapping to Summer fun. I want to keep the Überturbines for when it comes time to sell/trade. I'm looking for something that will protect my wheel as well as I can protect a 20" in the Winter while at the same time performs and fits.

I'm between a few different tires.

PILOT ALPIN PA4 N-SPEC - SIZE: 235/35R20 XL 92V​

These look good however they're still the stretched 235 size and have a V rating. While I wont be doing 149 in the Winter, generally a higher rating means a stronger tire.

WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 - SIZE: 235/35R20 XL 92W​

I used to use Sottozero for everything in the Winter and currently have them on my Y. They feel a little sloppy and from what I've read the Aplins are superior. I only use Michelins in the Summer. That said, while they are still the stretched 235 they have the higher speed rating.

PILOT ALPIN PA4 - SIZE: 245/35R20 XL 95W [sold out till Nov]​

The larger, but still "stock programming" size of 245 might protect the wheel better. This is what I was ordering until I saw on the last page they wouldn't get here until November. I've already got a pothole bubble on my brand new tire and I may drive up to MI and NH so I'm not sure I can wait. If anyone knows where I can get these sooner please let me know.

PILOT ALPIN 5 - SIZE: 245/35R20 XL 95V​

I couldn't find much in the way of reviews for the Alpin 5 versus the 4. I presume it's a newer tire and the tread looks much different. That said, still a nice size but does have the slower V rating. Not sure the V is an issue with the more protection from the 245.

WINTER SOTTOZERO 3 - SIZE: 255/35R20 XL 97W​

Dynamics be dammed and hope it fits? I can't find a revolutions per mile on this tire but it seems if it is truly 27" diameter it should be fine as I can set the wheels to the Track Package Cup2s as they have a diameter of 26.8 and all should be well. The tire is the potentially inferior Sottozero 3 vs the Alpin 4/5 however what it might lack in performance it could make up for in wheel protection being a larger 255 tire and a W rating.

As you can see I've given this more time and research than I care to admit. Never the less since those Alpin PA4s 245s appear to be sold out I'm at a loss of what the right move is. I figure I'm not the only person currently in this position. I welcome any and all feedback.

Thank you!

Best,
Gene

I'm going to rock the 20" uberturbine and just swap out the summer Pirelli's for the 20" Vredstein QuadTrac Pro's. I'm in the Chicago area, so similar weather to you. Those are all-season, not winter, tires. I don't want to take the time to swap twice each year.

Reactions: phantasms
I'm going to rock the 20" uberturbine and just swap out the summer Pirelli's for the 20" Vredstein QuadTrac Pro's. I'm in the Chicago area, so similar weather to you. Those are all-season, not winter, tires. I don't want to take the time to swap twice each year.
Yeah I hear ya. That's why I generally pick up a second set of wheels and do the swap at home so I never ever need to spend time in a dealership again. lol

Just purchased from Discount Tires a new set of 19" rims with Nokian Hakkipillita R3 with Tesla TMPS for less than the Tesla winter tire package that is out of stock. As much as I wanted the Tesla package with the Pirelli's the more research I did the more I liked the Nokias. Plus got black rims that I like better
I just ordered the same set up! Have you put them on yet?