Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Driving Experiences

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here's my experience (already posted in another thread):

... Already went thru one snowstorm with Model S. So far, the car is doing okay in the snow but not amazingly well. We're far from any comparison to AWD. I really miss driving my AWD in the snow. Spinning wheels is something I did not encounter in my last 10 years of driving Audi's Quatro. A friend of mine has ordered a Model S and I will have to test climbing his driveway (he lives at the top of a ski station) as I'm not sure this will work for him. (He currently has an AWD Toyota Highlander). He may have to wait for an AWD Model S or X.

So far, my high level evaluation of Model S in the snow is similar to a normal traction car but way off any AWD car. Not counting fogging and heating issues....

Yes, if your coming from AWD, i think it will definately be less impressive.. but i am coming from a 745i ( with winters ), and i would rate it equal if not a little better, as in my 745, traction control would come on a lot in the same type of driving conditions.. the Model S traction only rarely came on

Frozen driver's window - can't close door ! !

Mid day melt left droplets of water distributed all over windows, especially down along the window/door seal. This am 14*F driver's door could be opened but since window cannot move down at all it just snaps out (ouch!). If you try to close door, the window will smash against chrome strip (not good!). I did not really try to close door since it looked like it could break glass!! No way for glass to sneak under the chrome strip.

TM has outsmarted itself on this one, it would seem. Maybe there IS a choice somewhere that can eliminate the "close all the way" action upon door closure. If not, TM needs to supply a software fix for cold climate owners so the windows will raise only to the SEMI-CLOSED position. It looks like sealing will still be adequate.

Solution here was to get old credit card and chisel away the frozen globules, then slide the cc between the door seal & the glass, separating the two. This frees up the window so it can go up & down normally. Wait till you have to do this yourself, and you will carry plastic garbage bags around to tape to driver's window (one idea that comes to mind - a rather lame one). But put the old cc in your wallet rather than in the car to avoid having to pop out that glass. :mad:
--

Last edited:
First, I live in Quebec City, Canada. We have lot's of snow and I'm quite used to extreme winter driving.

I just went driving in the middle of a snowstorm. Bad conditions but nothing impossible. To my big surprise, I got stuck in the middle of the hill. Car was barely moving. I also tried another road, same thing. Traction control was too slow and confused. For your reference, an Honda Civic went thru the same roads slowly but surely. And, yes of course, I had winter tires... (but non studded as they're forbidden in my parking garage)

What's weird is that I went to the same hill last year with my Tesla Roadster - in the same conditions - and was able to climb without issues. So I wrongly expected the Model S to be performing in a similar way (even tough the Roadster had more weight on the rear wheels)

I'm really sad to say this, but the Model S in its current version IS NOT suitable for places with heavy snow and hills. On normal road it's okay, but as soon as you have some inclination, you're dead stuck. I was lucky not to be in traffic - that would have been awful.

Last edited:
Mid day melt left droplets of water distributed all over windows, especially down along the window/door seal. This am 14*F door could be opened but since window cannot move down at all it just snaps out (ouch!). If you try to close door, the window will smash against chrome strip (not good!). I did not really try to close door since it looked like it could break glass!! No way for glass to sneak under the chrome strip.

TM has outsmarted itself on this one, it would seem. Maybe there IS a choice somewhere that can eliminate the "close all the way" action upon door closure. If not, TM needs to supply a software fix for cold climate owners so the windows will raise only to the SEMI-CLOSED position. It looks like sealing will still be adequate.

Solution here was to get old credit card and chisel away the frozen globules, then slide the cc between the door seal & the glass, separating the two. This frees up the window so it can go up & down normally. Wait till you have to do this yourself, and you will carry plastic garbage bags around to tape to driver's window (one idea that comes to mind - a rather lame one). But put the old cc in your wallet rather than in the car to avoid popping out that glass. :mad:
--

Ouch!

So now we have suggestions for plastic bags over the wipers (different thread), and over the windows... :scared:

Sigh... looking more and more like I'll have to pass on my S and either wait for v2.0 or the X. Despite being an awesome car, all these details cropping up with the first few snow falls (fogging, weak / cold rear ventilation, "unliftable" wipers) should have been addressed during the car's design and cold weather testing phase (which clearly was not winter testing).

Obviously growing pains are expected, but they really need to hire some engineers who do not live in balmy weather!

First, I live in Quebec City, Canada. We have lot's of snow and I'm quite used to extreme winter driving.

I just went driving in the middle of a snowstorm. Bad conditions but nothing impossible. To my big surprise, I got stuck in the middle of the hill. Car was barely moving. I also tried another road, same thing. Traction control was too slow and confused. For your reference, an Honda Civic went thru the same roads slowly but surely. And, yes of course, I had winter tires... (but non studded as they're forbidden in my parking garage)

What's weird is that I went to the same hill last year with my Tesla Roadster - in the same conditions - and was able to climb without issues. So I wrongly expected the Model S to be performing in a similar way (even tough the Roadster had more weight on the rear wheels)

I'm really sad to say this, but the Model S in its current version IS NOT suitable for places with heavy snow and hills. On normal road it's okay, but as soon as you have some inclination, you're dead stuck. I was lucky not to be in traffic - that would have been awful.

I will contact all my friends who reserved a Model S and tell them to wait for AWD or Model X.

Thanks Pat,

As much as it pains me to say it (and trust me, it does), I will probably be switching my S reservation to an X and lease another ICE.

These kind of storms do not happen often, but I cannot justify such an expense on a car that does not excel 12 months out of the year. As well, I work at the top of a hill in Montreal, and cannot provide patient care from home...

That means I'll have to eat the price increase, and probably lose the provincial rebate :cursing:

> there should be a Sticky on Winter driving [pbrulott]

Maybe even a new FORUM on "WINTER" which would include: mechanical, tires, attire, Roadster worse (better) in snow, winter camping hints, etc.

Been foggy & cold up in the Rockies; reminds me of the St.Lawrence Valley.
--

1993-day4.jpg
1993_arrived.jpg

I will contact all my friends who reserved a Model S and tell them to wait for AWD or Model X.

good, pertinent info pat... i would ask you to consider contacting tesla ownership about this before waiving all your friends off, perhaps there is a firmware adjustment in the works. either way i'm sure they'll appreciate your precise and experience-backed insight. there is no reason in the world the s shouldn't handle a snowy hill as well as a roadster.

thx for the post.

My BMW is pretty useless on inclines if there is snow on the road (even with a good set of winter tires). I have to disable traction control to get just a little bit of wheel spin.

The car will just sit there sometimes with TC on, but if I turn it off I am able to climb hills etc. slowly but surely.

Did you try defeating the TC?

good, pertinent info pat... i would ask you to consider contacting tesla ownership about this before waiving all your friends off, perhaps there is a firmware adjustment in the works. either way i'm sure they'll appreciate your precise and experience-backed insight. there is no reason in the world the s shouldn't handle a snowy hill as well as a roadster.

thx for the post.

I just send my story to Tesla. We'll see.

It occurs to me that some of the issues folks are noticing with the car getting iced up while parked could be worked around with the smartphone app. If one preheats the cabin I would imagine the windows would defrost enough to allow them to retract to open. This would be especially useful when the car is plugged in.

As for the TC not being able to handle snowy hills, well, other than raising the car I can come up with no other suggestions. Perhaps Tesla could cook up a "snow mode" TC setting that works better in the white stuff?

Between fogging windows, poor winter traction, the unfinished development and the numerous glitches that keep popping up each day I am actually a bit happy that Tesla's been unable to get me a trade in value for over a month now - and seems to not care if they ever do - gives me more time to opt out, which before wasn't even a thought...

> *** Real winter testing [patpeterson]

Videos of TM doing winter tests on the ModelS showed it zooming across a frozen lake in Minn with maybe a few inches of snow. No chance of wipeout or heartache. No pain, no gain.

Breadbags needed on my 01 Malibu as well due to shape of hood. Not much can be done about this, but no biggie. It's always fun to slip one past Mother Nature.:smile:

The thing with the driver's window seems easy enough to fix. Just eliminate the final hop-up/hop-down on just the driver's door. Back seat passengers can clamber in via the tailgate(!). If TM wants to get sexy about this they can always allow us to 'dial in' just the necessary hop to avoid glass/chrome contact, and then save this value.

@stenkb: I just brought home 19in rims (by Tesla) with Blizzaks. Will report back on how they work on my plowed/unplowed driveway. The stock all-seasons did fine on plowed highways however.
--

Last edited:
Between fogging windows, poor winter traction, the unfinished development and the numerous glitches that keep popping up each day I am actually a bit happy that Tesla's been unable to get me a trade in value for over a month now - and seems to not care if they ever do - gives me more time to opt out, which before wasn't even a thought...

What's weird is that my experience with the Roadster was overall positive. With Model S, we're definitely beta testers....