TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Winter Driving Test - My Crazy Laneway

Discussion in 'Canada' started by mcfadyena, Dec 20, 2013.

1. mcfadyena

mcfadyena Member

Hi Everyone,
    Just picked up my Model s (85KW) this morning. First off, it's incredible.

My fear over the past few months of waiting has been winter driving. I have a ridiculous lane way and use 4 wheel-drive for my other vehicle. Wouldn't you know it, delivery day here in Ontario has come during a Freezing Rain warning, and we've seen snow, rain, and freezing rain for
    most of the day.

The 160 KM drive back from Toronto was great - no issues in the weather. I plowed the lane way before I left, but arrived to a snow-covered mess. Figured I give it a shot because I need to know sooner or later how well it drives up and down the lane!

Surprisingly, I made it up without a hitch. The traction control light blinked the whole way, but it made it up without issue. Twice (I left and came back again). I have the Tesla Winter Tire package on it.

To put it in perspective, here's a video of my lane way from last year. Conditions today were worse.
    My Crazy Laneway - YouTube

Hope that helps put any fears to rest on winter traction! I'll update if/when I have my first trouble getting up the lane.

2. Forty Creek

Forty Creek Member

Congratulations, on all fronts!

3. 772

772 Member

Very cool! And, oh yeah, congrats! :wink:

4. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Jesus! You have to plow that thing?! :scared:

5. Gwgan

Gwgan Almost a wagon

I feel your pain, my own drive is a bit shorter but similar in slope and curve and the road at the end is not nearly as busy; it is one reason I'd rather have a MX instead of an S but obviously my fears of RWD on ice are not well founded. Please contribute to the winter driving threads as you gain more experience.
    Congratulations!