TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Winter driving with/without jackets?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Driving Dynamics' started by user212_nr, Nov 9, 2019.

1. user212_nr

user212_nr Active Member

Interesting and possibly dumb question, not 100% related to Tesla, but when entering a cold ICE car, I would wear warm clothing and then take it off when at a stoplight after the car warmed up. With Tesla, the car can be pre-heated, but this means that the jacket can be removed immediately when entering.

Its hard to take off a zip-up fleece in the low seats, and now I have a whole list of things I do entering/exiting the car. Definitely worth it I think if driving more than a few minutes.

Just curious what other people do.

2. camalaio

camalaio Active Member

My jacket is much too hard to take off responsibly while driving. No matter what car I drive I just keep the cabin cool enough that wearing a jacket is comfortable.

If the trip is longer than 30 minutes, even with gas cars (and the Model 3) I'd preheat the car at least a little bit and enter without a jacket on. Chilly for a little bit, but I treat that as my couple minutes of winter climatization that I otherwise don't get, silly as that sounds.

3. Manitoba Keith

We usually, for short drives of < 10 miles, leave our jackets on but, I do condition to 20C/68f before leaving the garage. At current temps, (0C/32f) we take our jackets off & leave in the car when we go inside a store with a close door. On a longer trip (200 km/120 miles), we will take our jackets off and travel comfortably. Once it gets cold, we will probably leave our jackets on all the time.

4. jcal0820

jcal0820 ride the wave

My first real winter with my Model 3; one thing I noticed is that the cabin heats up REAL fast compared to ICE vehicles

• Love x 1
  5. SleeperService

Better to wear your jacket and keep the cabin cooler. Keep in mind you don't get the "free" heat provided by an ICE, so heat will use a significant amount of battery. FYI and all that.

• Like x 1
  6. M3FNATIK

M3FNATIK Recovering BMW Addict

Does the Model 3 have a heated steering wheel?

7. camalaio

camalaio Active Member

It does not and I very much wish it did. I would need a lot less power for heating if so, currently use warm air to keep hands warm.

8. M3FNATIK

M3FNATIK Recovering BMW Addict

Bummer...maybe one day they will offer this option and allow for a retrofit. Heated steering wheels are really nice to have in the winter.

• Like x 1
  9. StealthP3D

StealthP3D Well-Known Member

I've found a lightweight down vest to be ideal for cold weather driving because it keeps your core warm while letting the seat heat penetrate through. That's because there is no loft where the vest is pressed against the seatback.

Also, the steering wheel is not cold like in my previous Mazda. The Mazda steering wheel would suck the heat right out of your fingers. The steering wheel in the Model 3 seems to reflect the heat in your hand right back at you. It starts to feel warm in a very short time.

10. 1.21GW

1.21GW Member

One of the best features of the model 3 is the ability to preheat the cabin. I never want to go back to driving ICE where you need to drive for 5-10 minutes before the heat works. Even remote start on ICE doesn’t help much in the depths of winter

I wish there was a heated steering wheel as well, but it’s not as important in a Tesla.

• Like x 1