Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter handling Subaru vs dual-motor model Y

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah this is my experience as well. I've driven several hundred miles using this approach so far - during the winter snowstorm in Tahoe in December 2021. It has worked really well in really snowy conditions in steep mountain passes. In January 2021, I did the same in Silverthorne, CO and Park City, UT to drive to a variety of ski resorts in the snow (Winter Park, Steamboat Springs, Park City, Brighton in Cottonwood Canyon) and it has worked amazingly well in what I consider the litmus test of driving in snow - winding, steep mountain roads.

I pretty much use it every time I know there's lots of snow on the roads now - it still slips occasionally but I feel much safer with it on. Clearance is still an issue though, so I stick to roads that are maintained by snowplows. The Model Y's clearance isn't sufficient if e.g. 1-2 feet of snow fell the night before - I've been stuck a few times because the car became high centered.
tahoe, steamboat, winter park, park city, brighton all before february?? I need to hang out with you more!

clearance is why i got the MPP lift and plan on getting an extra 1/2" or so with bigger tires ... that should get me close to 9"

Last edited:
Reactions: tm1v2