Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is coming: Is my range normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Model Y LR

Just to keep things simple, from 90% charged to 10%, I'm getting around 250-270 km (155-167 miles). Is this normal? I'm still trying to learn all these wh/km, energy graph stuff but let me know if you need more info.

The car is rated at 525 km (326 miles), maybe in the Summer, I'll get close to that? I picked up my car in the fall so I never experience the range in hot weather. How much can I expect the range to improve in the Summer?

Thanks

• Love
Reactions: fjdomestic
I am in the same boat as you. I just got mine a couple of weeks ago and I'm trying to understand things as well. I believe yours sounds low but take it with a grain of salt since I too am learning.

My daily commute is approximately 85-90km each way and the battery drops by 20%. I am guessing I would achieve between 340-360km if I used the same 80% charge. I have drove 1200km and I believe my average is 180kw/km

I have 20" wheels, and keep my car toasty warm. 22c and have the seat warmer on as well.

I was hoping for a bit better to be honest. It hasn't been extremely cold yet, and we have no snow. I'm preparing myself to have a significant drop as the weather gets colder.

I have a Model Y LR

Just to keep things simple, from 90% charged to 10%, I'm getting around 250-270 km (155-167 miles). Is this normal? I'm still trying to learn all these wh/km, energy graph stuff but let me know if you need more info.

The car is rated at 525 km (326 miles), maybe in the Summer, I'll get close to that? I picked up my car in the fall so I never experience the range in hot weather. How much can I expect the range to improve in the Summer?

Thanks
What size wheels? Winter tires or All-Season tires? Be honest, how fast do you like to drive on the highway?

There are multiple travel log videos of Model Ys being driven at a constant (112km/h (70mph), achieving a range of over 450km (280miles), in moderate temperatures.

The following will determine your driving efficiency, what you can do to mitigate the impact on range.

Outside air temperature - Precondition the vehicle while still plugged in for 20 or 30 minutes before you drive. Minimize the use of the cabin heat, rely on dressing warmly and using the seat heaters. The Model Y's HVAC uses a heat pump, this will reduce the amount of power needed to keep the cabin warm. In one recent test in Norway a Model Y used 10Wh more energy per mile than when the HVAC was turned off. This compared to a Model 3 (not equipped with a heat pump) using 20Wh more energy per mile than when the Model 3's HVAC was turned off. So expect the heat pump to be 2X as efficient as the heat in the Model 3. Still, 10Wh per miles adds up on longer trips.

Driving speed - Nothing new here. Drive at under 65mph, faster than that and your Wh/mi rises quickly and your range drops quickly as your speed increases.

Terrain - If your route includes changes in elevation this will impact range. Regenerative braking will recovery some of the energy used while climbing but will only recover 60 to 70% when you descend.

Tires - Keep your tires inflated to at least the recommended tire pressure displayed on the label on the vehicle's A pillar by the driver's seat; Check, set tire pressure when the tires are cold. Winter tires are less efficient than All Season tires or Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires. Larger wheels 20", 21" use a bit more energy than smaller 19" wheels.

Keep the vehicle clean - There is a reason that airlines regularly wash their planes, not just to deice the wings; it saves fuel. Mythbusters performed a test of driving a passenger vehicle that was covered in a layer of dirt versus the same vehicle once it had been washed; the difference was significant.

Cargo - Don't carry excess weight; bring only what you need.

When determining your driving efficiency and estimate your drivng range you need to drive the same route, in both directions, under similar temperatures, traffic and road surface conditions; then average the resulting Wh/mi numbers.

The original EPA range estimate for the Long Range Model Y was 316mi (508km), since updated to 326 mi (524km). The original range works out to 74kWh/316mi for 234Wh/mi; The updated range of 326 miles works out to 227Wh/mi. Achieving these numbers requires significant attention to speed, minimal use of the HVAC system. More typical Wh/mi that most drivers would achieve would be between 240Wh/mi and 290Wh/mi, 308 miles and 255 miles (281mi, 450km average range.)

Imagine taking a 300 mile trip in a conventional vehicle that is powered by a gas engine, carrying only a little more than 2 gallons of fuel in the fuel tank. Everything would matter; including how many bugs were splattered on the windshield if you expect to be able to drive that many miles using only 2 gallons of gas. That is essentially what you are doing when you attempt to achieve the EPA range estimate in a Model Y.

Last edited:
I think we need to separate range and efficiency.
On a long continuous drive I would use the term range.
For day to day commuting let's talk efficiency.
Initial cabin heating in the cold is a HUGE impact on efficiency but since it only happens once on a long highway trip it's impact on range isn't that big.

Maybe put more simply in winter you will go farther between charges on long trips than you will in daily driving.

Extra cargo is a non-issue on long drives unless maybe there is a lot of elevation change. It matters mostly for acceleration but even so what is another 100lbs in a 4000lbs car. Is there technically a impact sure but in practice no.

In addition to everything jcanoe mentioned I’d also point out wind speed and direction can play a big role. A strong tail wind can boost your range while a strong head wind can hamper it pretty significantly, something to pay attention to on a long drive.

As the outside temperature drops all EVs suffer a significant loss of range. When the temperature dips below 25F expect a loss approaching ~25%, that is before factoring in use of the HVAC to heat the passenger cabin.

Reasons include:

The air is denser at lower temperatures so unless you are driving at the top of a mountain (where the air is always thinner than at sea level) the colder air will take more energy to push through as you drive.

The tires do not roll as easily at colder temperatures as the rubber becomes stiff.

The air pressure in the tires drops as the temperature falls, about 1PSI for every 10 degrees. If you have not adjusted your tire pressure once the weather turns seriously cold then your tires will be underinflated by perhaps 2 to 4 PSI. You can remedy this by making sure that your tire pressure, when cold, is set to at least the recommended tire pressure that is on the vehicle loading and tire specification label that is located on the A pillar.

Lubricants do not perform as well at low temperatures. I.e., the Tesla's drive units are filled with a fluid (perhaps similar to automatic transmission fluid but specially designed for an electric drive.)

The lithium-ion battery relies on a chemical reaction to be able to charge, discharge and provide power to the electric motors; the drive units being the largest consumer of power in the Tesla vehicle. At lower temperatures the battery chemistry becomes less efficient until finally the battery pack cannot provide full power for driving the Tesla vehicle until the battery is warmed. You can mitigate this effect by using scheduled departure when charging the Tesla, preconditioning the Tesla for at least 20 to 30 minutes while the Tesla is plugged in before you start to drive, especially in the A.M. when the daily outside air temperature may be at its lowest.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: angus[Y]oung
Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 11.04.29 PM.png

I started using Teslafi and these are my numbers. I'm basically driving this freely like when I had my gasoline car, using the heat to keep me warm, accelerating quickly whenever I feel like it. I don't want to put too much stress and attention into my driving as I feel that's not how driving should be. I know some will try to achieve the best wh/km or efficiency but that just puts the fun out of this car. I might try to see if I can get close to the rated wh/km after a full charge just for the record but I won't be driving like that daily that's for sure.

If anyone would like to share their numbers, it would be nice to compare.

Cheers

• Informative
Reactions: bread and skidmarc
I have been a Tesla driver for three years and enjoy the games of efficiency and torque and acceleration. I prefer to not use heater, rather wheel and seat down to 30F. Over the 33k miles over three years with winter down to -5f and up to 100+f in summer, my ave wh/mi are exactly what the car is rated for. Car lives outside so no preconditioning or garage warmed battery in the am. New car rubber has more drag, and car needs to break itself in. Charge to 100% every month or so and leave it plugged in a for hours past finish to calibrate. Don't use cabin overheat, exclude home from sentry and uncheck always connected. Enjoy the learning experience.

Reactions: Pianewman
View attachment 612195

I started using Teslafi and these are my numbers. I'm basically driving this freely like when I had my gasoline car, using the heat to keep me warm, accelerating quickly whenever I feel like it. I don't want to put too much stress and attention into my driving as I feel that's not how driving should be. I know some will try to achieve the best wh/km or efficiency but that just puts the fun out of this car. I might try to see if I can get close to the rated wh/km after a full charge just for the record but I won't be driving like that daily that's for sure.

If anyone would like to share their numbers, it would be nice to compare.

Cheers
Full charge has almost nothing to do with consumption except that it reduces regen which depending on on the driving.you are doing might increase consumption.

Update: It's down to 2 degrees here in Canada but feels colder. I've been using the heat a lot. It shows 255 Wh/km, have 13% left from 90%. It only got me 185KM. Does this sound right? I'm not going freeze in this car just to get the range so I just drove it like how I would drive an ICE car

Hi welcome. Seems from your join date this may be your first Tesla winter? There are a lot of variables and learning the quirks of the car. There are a lot of winter efficiency threads here but your consumption is high but not abnormally so IMHO. Pushing through slush, headwinds, driving style, heat set temp, length of trip average, car settings while parked all coalesce to the rating. For reference in Boston with similar temp and using heat my rating is about 260 wh/MI for a 12 mile leg. Every trip starts out high but comes down the longer you drive. Over the full year, your average wh/km should be close to rated but definitely a hit in winter.

Update: It's down to 2 degrees here in Canada but feels colder. I've been using the heat a lot. It shows 255 Wh/km, have 13% left from 90%. It only got me 185KM. Does this sound right? I'm not going freeze in this car just to get the range so I just drove it like how I would drive an ICE car

Was ths one stretch or errands with repeated parking an rewarming of the cabin?

Hi welcome. Seems from your join date this may be your first Tesla winter? There are a lot of variables and learning the quirks of the car. There are a lot of winter efficiency threads here but your consumption is high but not abnormally so IMHO. Pushing through slush, headwinds, driving style, heat set temp, length of trip average, car settings while parked all coalesce to the rating. For reference in Boston with similar temp and using heat my rating is about 260 wh/MI for a 12 mile leg. Every trip starts out high but comes down the longer you drive. Over the full year, your average wh/km should be close to rated but definitely a hit in winter.

Wow that's basically the rated range after I converted it to wh/km?

Was ths one stretch or errands with repeated parking an rewarming of the cabin?

Not one stretch, mostly short trips, parking and rewarming

Warming is a killer. I have a 2014 P85 in normal spring/fall i see 275ish wh/m, on a subzero morning I can see my 5 mile average on my 7 mile commute spike over 800wh/m then settle to low 700s. January I will likely drift between 465-535.

But I can go visit my sister no problem my car charges to 242miles and the supercharger is 180miles away. Once the cabin is warm the heat doesn't work so hard and the consumption falls back mich closer to normla rather than double or triple.

With the Y heat pump you shouldn't see things so extreme even if you see subzero temps.