Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry, I stand corrected. I thought for the GTA, Kal Tire was the only actual store that sells Nokian tires. I called around and that is what every other tire place told me. Now I see that there are others. Has anyone found them in stock in Canada? I have a friend looking for the R2s.

Has anyone found them in stock in Canada? I have a friend looking for the R2s.

I'm a little miffed at Kal Tire, but hopefully they'll come through for me. I went into my local store in July or August and wanted to pay right then and there for the R2s and have them installed later. The Manager talked me out of it saying he'd have "no problem" getting the tires for me in the fall. Well, I went back in September and guess what? Out of stock everywhere including the warehouse. He made a bunch of phone calls and was able to determine a shipment was coming in mid-November. I paid on the spot since he "promised" me they would be available. I guess I'll have to start calling him in a couple of weeks.

Sorry, I stand corrected. I thought for the GTA, Kal Tire was the only actual store that sells Nokian tires. I called around and that is what every other tire place told me. Now I see that there are others. Has anyone found them in stock in Canada? I have a friend looking for the R2s.

Maybe my first link was too well hidden in my previous post so I will give it again less hidden this time. Go to pmctire.com using the following link (http://winter-tires.pmctire.com/enw/nokian-hakkapeliitta-r2-245-45r19-102r-xl.tire) ... they ship for free to Quebec and Ontario.

I'm a little miffed at Kal Tire, but hopefully they'll come through for me. I went into my local store in July or August and wanted to pay right then and there for the R2s and have them installed later. The Manager talked me out of it saying he'd have "no problem" getting the tires for me in the fall. Well, I went back in September and guess what? Out of stock everywhere including the warehouse. He made a bunch of phone calls and was able to determine a shipment was coming in mid-November. I paid on the spot since he "promised" me they would be available. I guess I'll have to start calling him in a couple of weeks.

Yeah, given the shortfalls last year "no problem" sounds like major wishful thinking. You better keep on him!

I've spent so much on tires this year that I'm going to put up with the Pirellis again for this winter. Hopefully they'll be worn out after that so I won't be tempted to use them again!

Last edited:
Ok, I am at a stump...Tesla Toronto has no idea when the winter rims and tires (winter tire package). I am seriously thinking of getting the Rial rims from tirerack with Michelin Ice tires. I'll have to drive my car when it arrives in December to a tire shop, since the SC won't install third party rims. Which is a concern for me, since it might be dangerous driving the car in snow or icy conditions.

My question - has anyone encountered any issues installing winter tires, anything special needs to be done? Any issues with shipping from Tirerack (specifically Toronto feedback)? Any recommended installers that people use that TR can ship directly to in Richmond Hill or Markham?

Ok, I am at a stump...Tesla Toronto has no idea when the winter rims and tires (winter tire package). I am seriously thinking of getting the Rial rims from tirerack with Michelin Ice tires. I'll have to drive my car when it arrives in December to a tire shop, since the SC won't install third party rims. Which is a concern for me, since it might be dangerous driving the car in snow or icy conditions.

My question - has anyone encountered any issues installing winter tires, anything special needs to be done? Any issues with shipping from Tirerack (specifically Toronto feedback)? Any recommended installers that people use that TR can ship directly to in Richmond Hill or Markham?

I just had the Rial Lugano rims and TPMS sensors delivered from Tirerack.com by UPS. All duties and paperwork are done by them so UPS just drops it off at your door (or service centre). Very easy. I got my tires locally and they are mounting them and installing them for me.

I just had the Rial Lugano rims and TPMS sensors delivered from Tirerack.com by UPS. All duties and paperwork are done by them so UPS just drops it off at your door (or service centre). Very easy. I got my tires locally and they are mounting them and installing them for me.

Ordered the rial Lugano and xice3 back in sept from tirerack. Got 3 of the 4 tires delivered yesterday which is unfortunate as we got over 15cm of snow today :cursing:

Will install them myself. Bought a 2 ton floor jack, torque wrench and socket set as I will change my tires myself. I did not do the tmps although I am sure Tesla will provide some self registration system in the future.

What is the highest temperature that something like a Nokian Hakka R2 is comfortable with? E.g. if I drive down to California and hit a 75 degree day, will that be an issue?

The main issue with driving on snow tires in the summer is increased wear. A warm day here or there shouldn't matter.

Not so sure about that Doug. I put the Hakka R2's on last week and we had some 60 degree weather. They are noticeably less stable than the 21 inch Performance tires. I don't have any other 19 inch experience to compare to but can't imagine it's an issue. From all of my reviews and research, and TMC recommendations they are clearly great snow tires. While not unsafe, I can
definitely report that at high speeds the cars nose does a slight "hunting" motion. Almost like a yaw, or oscillation in an airplane. I didn't like it at all the first time I felt it but now expect it and compensate for it. Hence, not unsafe. I'm sure I'll love having them in snow and ice, but I may reconsider next Winter and try performance Winter tires instead. As with everything in life there are tradeoffs.

Question - did the TPMS work right away, or did you have to bring to Toronto SC? I know in the other threads re: 19" Rial Lugano, some had it working right away.

Thanks.

While not unsafe, I can definitely report that at high speeds the cars nose does a slight "hunting" motion. Almost like a yaw, or oscillation in an airplane. I didn't like it at all the first time I felt it but now expect it and compensate for it. Hence, not unsafe. I'm sure I'll love having them in snow and ice, but I may reconsider next Winter and try performance Winter tires instead. As with everything in life there are tradeoffs.

I've heard from a friend here that the Hakka R2's do seem to make the car less stable at highway speeds. He's a race car driver (owns a Radical) so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. He said that he couldn't run with the cruise control in gusty wind conditions. It would make the car jumpy. Turn off the cruise control and no problem.

I've certainly not encountered that with the winter performance tires, and it doesn't happen with his summer tires, so the thought is that it's to do with the much softer sidewalls. So there is something to what you are saying.

Question - did the TPMS work right away, or did you have to bring to Toronto SC? I know in the other threads re: 19" Rial Lugano, some had it working right away.

Thanks.

I don't know about the TPMS yet. I still have to get my tires mounted and installed next week. I hope the sensors work or that Toronto SC will change their mind and program them. Otherwise, I wasted $400.

I've heard from a friend here that the Hakka R2's do seem to make the car less stable at highway speeds. He's a race car driver (owns a Radical) so I'm pretty sure he knows what he's talking about. He said that he couldn't run with the cruise control in gusty wind conditions. It would make the car jumpy. Turn off the cruise control and no problem.

Sounds like my regular 19's. Better since my last service visit, but definitely not as stable as past cars I've owned. Extra squirrely in gusty wind.