Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just ordered the Rial Lugano's with the Michelin X-Ice 3 from Tire Rack. I'm going to Niagara Falls, NY for a hockey tournament on the Black Friday weekend so I can pick them up with no duty or tax. With the TPMS included it was a bit under $2200. The CSR I spoke to said there are tons of Tesla owners getting these wheels due to the similarity to the 21" Turbines. He also said that the Michelin tire is the best performing option for our car and that he has been sending a bunch to Norway Model S owners.

S85 | MC Red | Tan Interior | Tech (w/ Pwr Mirror) | Pano | Sensors | Twin Charger | 19" Primacy | Subzero Weather Package
Deposit 9/22 | Confirm 9/25 | VIN 10/8 - 25679 | Production 11/01 | Projected Delivery 12/06

Exactly what I have on my car, powder coated black.

Just got my Michelin X-Ice Xi3s on gunmetal Rial Lugano wheels installed on Tuesday (Drove my Audi instead the couple of days before with the bad weather).

I put Xi3's on my stock 19" wheels on Saturday and was shocked by how sloppy the handling became: the run-out OEM Goodyear all-seasons I removed still provided much crisper handling than the Michelin snows. The response time to weight shifts with the Xi3's is much longer and there's some weird floaty stuff under acceleration. And, yes, I did check the tire pressures: 45 psi all around. The new Michelins are comfy and quiet, though, I'll give them that. We'll have to see how they do when the snow starts flying.

I put Xi3's on my stock 19" wheels on Saturday and was shocked by how sloppy the handling became: the run-out OEM Goodyear all-seasons I removed still provided much crisper handling than the Michelin snows. The response time to weight shifts with the Xi3's is much longer and there's some weird floaty stuff under acceleration. And, yes, I did check the tire pressures: 45 psi all around. The new Michelins are comfy and quiet, though, I'll give them that. We'll have to see how they do when the snow starts flying.

Uh oh, I ordered the same. Well, at the very least the LRR should help when range starts dropping off

You've accurately described what I've experienced when going to the Hakka R2's from the 21" Michelin's recently. I think it's just a trade off for better Winter handling. Dry and warm; I seem to be getting exactly what you describe. Maybe next Winter I'll try the Winter/Performance category.

Time to also give another silicone spritz to driver's window seal. Yesterday am found this crustiness which required about six door unlockings (NOT openings) to get the window unfrozen from the door so it would go down far enough to open door safely. Prior, I scraped off as much ice as possible with fingers. Time to put scraper in trunk so it can be accessed using hatch door.

MS-drivers.window.jpg

You've accurately described what I've experienced when going to the Hakka R2's from the 21" Michelin's recently. I think it's just a trade off for better Winter handling. Dry and warm; I seem to be getting exactly what you describe. Maybe next Winter I'll try the Winter/Performance category.

It is what it is. If you want soft tires to grip on ice then the sidewalls are going to be soft. I'm driving on Winter/Performance tires (Pirelli) and I'm not terribly happy with their grip.

Time to also give another silicone spritz to driver's window seal. Yesterday am found this crustiness which required about six door unlockings (NOT openings) to get the window unfrozen from the door so it would go down far enough to open door safely. Prior, I scraped off as much ice as possible with fingers. Time to put scraper in trunk so it can be accessed using hatch door.

http://store.interstateproducts.com/products/Ice_Melt_Aerosol

To go with your scraper in trunk!

Re 'melt aerosol' - Probably cheap alcohol (methanol) would work too but would mess with silicone absorbed in window seal. If I had soaked it a few times in October it would have helped here (denial of winter syndrome in effect). Climbing in the trunk up to driver's seat is no fun esp since I never quite remember the proper way to choreograph the maneuver.
--

Just got my Michelin X-Ice Xi3s on gunmetal Rial Lugano wheels installed on Tuesday

I just put this exact combo on yesterday. They do seem to drive quieter than i was expecting with snow tires. I conveniently got the software update in the morning, and then was able to use the TPMS reset function straight away. It only took about 3 km for them program in - perfect!
One question, the door says to set the pressure at 45 psi, and the tire says Max 50 psi. Which do I use? I just used 47 for now.

I also noticed that when you go to the info screen, the picture shows the new Rial rims. Before it was my standard rims. Could be a software glitch, or it knows that I got different aftermarket TPMS's????

I just put this exact combo on yesterday. They do seem to drive quieter than i was expecting with snow tires. I conveniently got the software update in the morning, and then was able to use the TPMS reset function straight away. It only took about 3 km for them program in - perfect!
One question, the door says to set the pressure at 45 psi, and the tire says Max 50 psi. Which do I use? I just used 47 for now.

I also noticed that when you go to the info screen, the picture shows the new Rial rims. Before it was my standard rims. Could be a software glitch, or it knows that I got different aftermarket TPMS's????

Really? Could it just be showing the 19" turbines? Or maybe the TPMS passes wheel info?

I already have my scraper in the trunk, anticipating this very issue...

Is there a specific type / make of silicone you would recommend for the window seals?

One question, the door says to set the pressure at 45 psi, and the tire says Max 50 psi. Which do I use?

The pressure on the tire is the maximum inflation pressure cold, first thing in the morning before driving. (If you don't have a compressor at home, then you can drive up to a mile slowly to where one is available). The vehicle placard pressure is the car manufacturer's recommendation based on a set of assumptions. If your driving conditions are different from the assumptions then the pressure needs to be adjusted accordingly. There are four main assumptions:

The first assumption is temperature: Tire pressure recommendations are always based on an ambient temperature of 18C (65F). If the temperature is higher, then the inflation needs to be higher to compensate. Example: If the high of the day is between 38C and 43C (100 and 110F) add 28 kPa (4 psi). In areas that have a real winter, you don't inflate tires outdoors because the valve will stick open and the air will all leak out, so you inflate indoors. In this case the inflation pressure must also be increased to compensate for the shrinkage that happens when the car is outside.

The second assumption* is speed: On a Tesla an adjustment isn't likely to be needed because Tesla, no doubt, assumes that people will be driving fast. Family sedans typically use 105 km/h (65 mph) as the sustained speed assumption.

The third assumption* is load: This is often not the GVW (gross vehicle weight) but the load the engineers think will most commonly be carried. Best practice is to add some air when loaded up with family and luggage. Heat, not pressure, kills tires.

The fourth assumption is frequency: Tire pressure recommendations are always based on doing a pressure check every driving day. If Telsa ever gets around to displaying the actual numbers, this will be easy--look at the numbers every morning before you drive and adjust as necessary. Until then, unless you really check every day, it's a good idea to add enough so that it never goes below the vehicle placard pressures.

* These are my assumptions about Tesla's assumptions.

Wierd buzzing through streering wheel

I just ordered the Rial Lugano's with the Michelin X-Ice 3 from Tire Rack. I'm going to Niagara Falls, NY for a hockey tournament on the Black Friday weekend so I can pick them up with no duty or tax. With the TPMS included it was a bit under $2200. The CSR I spoke to said there are tons of Tesla owners getting these wheels due to the similarity to the 21" Turbines. He also said that the Michelin tire is the best performing option for our car and that he has been sending a bunch to Norway Model S owners.

S85 | MC Red | Tan Interior | Tech (w/ Pwr Mirror) | Pano | Sensors | Twin Charger | 19" Primacy | Subzero Weather Package
Deposit 9/22 | Confirm 9/25 | VIN 10/8 - 25679 | Production 11/01 | Projected Delivery 12/06

I've been driving around at 407 ETR speeds for a few days now using this exact rim/tire combination from Tire Rack. I may just be losing my mind but occasionally I feel and hear a buzzing noise / sensation through the steering wheel which comes and goes when I get a strong head/cross wind. It's almost like the rims/tires are catching more air and causing this noise which goes away after a few seconds and there is no change in surface conditions. I'm sure the wheels and tires are balanced properly because they are smooth and quite 90% of the time. Don't tell me snow tires are normally more noisy - that's obvious - I've had dedicated winters on my M3s for 11 years.

Are you getting this at all?

I've been driving around at 407 ETR speeds for a few days now using this exact rim/tire combination from Tire Rack. I may just be losing my mind but occasionally I feel and hear a buzzing noise / sensation through the steering wheel which comes and goes when I get a strong head/cross wind. It's almost like the rims/tires are catching more air and causing this noise which goes away after a few seconds and there is no change in surface conditions. I'm sure the wheels and tires are balanced properly because they are smooth and quite 90% of the time. Don't tell me snow tires are normally more noisy - that's obvious - I've had dedicated winters on my M3s for 11 years.

If the car is being pushed sideways by the wind, more of the shoulder may come in contact with the road and create the buzzing sensation you feel. (Just to cover all bases, be sure that your ambient lights are off as there is known buzzing on some cars. Noises in cars are very deceptive.)