Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a somewhat related thought, my TPMS threw up an error once. Not a "low pressure" alert, but something to the effect that service was required. It only happened once in a torrential downpour and cleared itself. I assumed RF interference due to all the water. I mentioned it to service and they seemed to know about an issue having to do with the receiver in the car. However, when I got my car back, they said it was because the tire pressure was too low, and adjusted the pressure in my tires. I dunno about that because I do check my pressure regularly and had never once received a "low pressure" warning. In any event, it has not given me any trouble since.

I had something similar happen to me twice. Both times I had been on an extended drive on a hot day and the car was full. Once I had three adults and two dogs for passenger and the other was when I was moving my son to a university and I had two passengers and a car full of his things. Both times the error cleared itself up after letting the car sit so I assume that the pressure in the tires had risen too high because of the excess heat and weight.

I would be shocked if they add that capability in a future release. I just had long conversations with my service center and with Tesla corporate since I was trying to decide whether to buy rims or just have snows installed on the current rims. One of the deciding factors in staying with one set of rims was exactly this - that I would have to bring the Roadster 150 miles to the service center (or have a ranger visit) to have the TPMS programmed EVERY time I switched rims (or ignore the error).

Also, the TPMS module will not throw an error until exactly 20 minutes of key on. If you drive 15 minutes and then turn the car off, this cycle restarts (although on occasion the error, if triggered, would still be there at the start of the next drive). This was confirmed on my commute every day for 2 months (until I got my TPMS module replaced), as well as per the conversation with the service center.

Hmm, another situation of different drivers, different experiences. Aside from pothole blowouts (ychhh), the only time I've ever gotten TPMS errors is first thing in AM on cold morning at my Wisconsin house (parking pad, no heated garage). There's no 15 minute wait, it is right there when I get in car. It's not left over from prior evening… clearly effect of overnight cold.

I'd like to differentiate between a TPMS system error, which is what I got after switching wheels, and a TPMS low pressure warning. The former is a fault message. The latter is a normal status alert indicating low tire pressure. This is a common problem as the ambient temperatures get lower in the fall/winter... and it also means you should top up your tires. You should be adjusting your tire pressures seasonally to keep them at the same cold pressure - no matter what "cold" is.

Hmm, another situation of different drivers, different experiences. Aside from pothole blowouts (ychhh), the only time I've ever gotten TPMS errors is first thing in AM on cold morning at my Wisconsin house (parking pad, no heated garage). There's no 15 minute wait, it is right there when I get in car. It's not left over from prior evening… clearly effect of overnight cold.

We are talking two different things...your "error" was in fact a low pressure alert due to the cold air shrinking, while I am talking about a TPMS Module Error (the module is not receiving data from the sensors).

Also, to clarify, my previous comment about 2 sets of rims was related to Roadsters only. I do not (yet) have a Model S and they may be able to register 2 sets of rims in the future, while Roadsters cannot.

Edit: Doug beat me to it.

I'd like to differentiate between a TPMS system error, which is what I got after switching wheels, and a TPMS low pressure warning. The former is a fault message. The latter is a normal status alert indicating low tire pressure. This is a common problem as the ambient temperatures get lower in the fall/winter... and it also means you should top up your tires. You should be adjusting your tire pressures seasonally to keep them at the same cold pressure - no matter what "cold" is.

Gotcha, now I realize y'all were talking about TPMS system error vs. low pressure… did not come through clearly on posts. Yes, I do know about maintaining cold pressure, that's why cigarette lighter inflator lives in my car.

Yeah, I should have clarified: I got a TPMS "Error" message but the SC said it was because my tire pressure was low. I dunno because I do check my tires with a good quality gauge, and besides, I would have expected a "Low Pressure" message and not the "Error" message prompting me to get it serviced. Where I was going with that is since my assumption was that the "Error" was cause by all the water (heavy downpour), then maybe some after-market rims might be blocking the signal and causing the error as well.

Yeah, I should have clarified: I got a TPMS "Error" message but the SC said it was because my tire pressure was low. I dunno because I do check my tires with a good quality gauge, and besides, I would have expected a "Low Pressure" message and not the "Error" message prompting me to get it serviced. Where I was going with that is since my assumption was that the "Error" was cause by all the water (heavy downpour), then maybe some after-market rims might be blocking the signal and causing the error as well.

also for clarity: The errors I got were the TPMS needs service error and not a tire pressure low error. I have yet to see one of those ... and hope I never do.

also for clarity: The errors I got were the TPMS needs service error and not a tire pressure low error. I have yet to see one of those ... and hope I never do.

All it takes is to swap in your snow tires, instead of having Tesla do it. I did mine on Saturday, and on Sunday I was rather glad I did. Just a light snowfall but slippery as hell. Great timing for once.

I just got my new winter tires and rims installed today. So far no TPMS error message but I may not have driven over 20km per start yet. Kal Tire in Mississauga told me they were getting a new machine in a couple weeks that could set the sensors for the Tesla. So if the SC won't do it, there is another option. Incidentally, after all my research I was disappointed to feel a lot of sliding on my Nokian R2s with sharp turns and lane changes. I never had this with the summer performance tires which gripped the road pretty well and hubby says his winters are not like this. Is this what I am to expect for non-performance winter tires?

Just got my Michelin X-Ice Xi3s on gunmetal Rial Lugano wheels installed on Tuesday (Drove my Audi instead the couple of days before with the bad weather).

jpg.gif

jpg.gif

Used Robson Racing in Ottawa as the installer for my order from Tire Rack. The owner said that he had worked on a couple white Teslas but hadn't seen the red one yet. He really liked the gunmetal wheels.

So far I am happy with the driving feel. A bit squishier but I got used to it quickly - it's always nice when you switch back to your summer tires in the Spring. Looking forward to trying them in some snow.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    146.9 KB · Views: 528
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 296
You've got 19" all seasons on your car... You could probably get by without snow tires 90% of the winter. :)

Yeah, but I do a long daily commute (GTA to Waterloo Region) and want to give myself every possible advantage in the winter. I've run winters on all of my cars for years, although the exception to that was my previous Cadillac CTS. It was AWD and seemed not too bad on good all-seasons.

My other interest is in getting different summer rims. I'll stick with the 19's but really like those Rial's shown above. For now, the snows will go on the stock 19" rims (no TPMS issues to worry about) and over the winter I'll deal with getting the summer rubber on to something new.