Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is Coming - when do you install your winter tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You don’t want to run summer tires in below freezing temperatures. Their grip goes to crap. So I’ll switch when the current warm temperatures finally run out.

If you have all seasons you can push it a bit later. Definitely by December though.

All seasons and summer tires don’t work well under 7 degrees C. All weather like Nokian WRG3 are better than all seasons, but a dedicated winter tire like Nokian R2 or Michelin X Ice 3 are way safer.

I hear people with 4WD or AWD say they don’t need winter tires and can get away with all seasons...little do they know that all wheel drive means all wheel slide if you can’t stop when you get going or lose control on a curve/turn.

Uh, "winter"???? Snow?? Who dat?
We Canadian *try* really hard not to judge American politics, and social topics....then the California dude has to poke the bear with the "snow??" comments. I'll just bite my tongue and say "I'm okay with a bit of snow, if I can live here" ;)

I doubt a couple of degrees of heat from friction will affect the properties of the tire compound when it is below zero road surface temp. I guess you can get a thermal reader like a Flir device to get a thermal image of your tires, but a few degrees of heat gain on dry pavement would probably affect your tire pressure more than the compound.

Even in the rain and 15 degrees C today, my Model S cold tire pressure went from 42PSI to 46 at highway speeds after 30 mins of driving.

Not when the asphalt is at -20C.

(And track temperature affects a race car too. There's an optimum temperature range for a particular tire compound, and a too-cold or too-hot track will cause you to have less grip.)
But -20 doesn't happen too often in Southern Ontario and likely only in Jan-Feb. What about when the asphalt is more like 5C? And black asphalt will likely be much warmer than the air temperature when it is sunny - as you find out in the summer when you walk barefoot across your driveway.

But -20 doesn't happen too often in Southern Ontario and likely only in Jan-Feb. What about when the asphalt is more like 5C? And black asphalt will likely be much warmer than the air temperature when it is sunny - as you find out in the summer when you walk barefoot across your driveway.

Yeah but daylight isn't that long in the winter, and temperature drops rapidly at night.

The car I traded for my first Model S had Michelin Pilot Super Sports on it. They're fantastic summer tires. They are not great in cold and wet, and they are positively terrifying in cold and icy conditions. I found that out the hard way, because my car's winter tires were done and I was trying not to buy new ones. Weather had been mild that year. I traded the car on December 20. On December 18 I went completely sideways while driving at only 20 kph. I was crawling because the car was impossible to drive. Yet it went completely sideways and I almost hit an oncoming car and a parked car. The only thing that saved me was my experience with ice racing.