Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Winter is coming..."

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Kermee

It's Not Easy Being Green
Jul 31, 2018
WA, BC & HKG
Man, the battery gets very unhappy until it warms up after sitting in ❄️ low ambient temperatures ️

Np19vDr.png

It was pushing 400-600 Wh/mi at 62 MPH on the freeway (relatively flat) for about 10 miles before it leveled off back to around averages.

• Informative
Reactions: Phrixotrichus
49°F = 10°C

Where I live I have 3+ months a year where it`s <10°C, and can get as low as -10°C. I knew that EV range falters in cold weather, but this is the first time I´ve seen an actual curve and how long it takes to normalize.
Considering that my daily drive is only about 13 miles one way that would mean that I´d be driving with an average consumption of 35-40kwh/100km for several months a year.

That would actually make the average yearly fuel price for a Model 3 more expensive than my LPG Merc thanks to the crazy power prizes here.
Ouch :(

Thank you very much for the heads up. This is actually a pretty big thing to consider for me concerning my next car purchase......

Just need to plug it in more often. It’s a Tesla enough said. Cannot wait to get into mine...
Leaving it plugged in doesn`t change a thing, just changes the source of the power needed to heat the battery.

Last edited:
49°F = 10°C

Where I live I have 3+ months a year where it`s <10°C, and can get as low as -10°C. I knew that EV range falters in cold weather, but this is the first time I´ve seen an actual curve and how long it takes to normalize.
Considering that my daily drive is only about 13 miles one way that would mean that I´d be driving with an average consumption of 35-40kwh/100km for several months a year.

That would actually make the average yearly fuel price for a Model 3 more expensive than my LPG Merc thanks to the crazy power prizes here.

Thank you very much for the heads up. This is actually a pretty big thing to consider for me concerning my next car purchase......

Leaving it plugged in doesn`t change a thing, just changes the source of the power needed to heat the battery.

Try setting your charge to end just prior to leaving in the morning. While not perfect. I have found that helps with a battery being warm along with a cabin being a little warmer.

I just meant need to charge it more often on trips etc.

49°F = 10°C

I just

Skiing a few years back, I get to the top and ready to take pictures with my camera. It doesn't work, crap. Oh well, don't let it bum me out, make the ski run.

I get to the bottom where I have a little time to look at it. What? It's working now? Oh yeah, the first trip up the camera was outside my jacket and got cold enough (app -40 out) that the batteries just wouldn't work. Next trip up, I kept it inside my jacket and it worked quite well.

Moral of the story, batteries don't work as well when they get cold.

Batteries store electrons. When it is cold, they don't like to come out and play.

Reactions: outdoors and Kermee
Does cooler weather also impact the max capacity of the car? I typically charge to 80 or 90% for 248 or 279 miles respectively.

It’s been cooling down recently, which as expected has driven my consumption up. I’m now seeing 241mi at 80% and 272mi at 90%. Is the car adjusting for potential loss? It’s plugged in in my garage that is typically around 50-60deg over night. Current interior temp is 68.

Does cooler weather also impact the max capacity of the car? I typically charge to 80 or 90% for 248 or 279 miles respectively.

It’s been cooling down recently, which as expected has driven my consumption up. I’m now seeing 241mi at 80% and 272mi at 90%. Is the car adjusting for potential loss? It’s plugged in in my garage that is typically around 50-60deg over night. Current interior temp is 68.

Yes the cold weather impacts the range of the battery, there was a Youtube video floating around that showed Model 3 lost around 30% range and was considered best in class compared to other EV's (i3, Volt)

You might want to take a peek at this post regarding the calculated range display and recommended charging practices: Model 3 Performance Battery Degradation One Month (Story)

TL;DR, shallow daily cycles can throw off the range/SOC calculation, causing it to under-report. Nothing to worry about.

Whoa. How’d that happen?!

Parked the car with a low SoC (12%) after a long 3 hour drive like I have in the past, but this time, this message came up. Ambient was about 50F.

So 3 hours of straight driving, I'm pretty sure the batteries are properly "warmed". Guess the system knows that since it's 50F out with warm batteries showing 12%, it's going to show reduction in %/range as the battery starts to cool.

Parked the car with a low SoC (12%) after a long 3 hour drive like I have in the past, but this time, this message came up. Ambient was about 50F.

So 3 hours of straight driving, I'm pretty sure the batteries are properly "warmed". Guess the system knows that since it's 50F out with warm batteries showing 12%, it's going to show reduction in %/range as the battery starts to cool.

Ah. Did you make it home/to charge?