Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter is coming

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@NickFie :) As I said before my question is all just idle curiosity, not range anxiety or concern about cost. Here in the UK night time off-peak charging at much lower costs are available and we have a rate of just 5 pence per kWh between 00:30 and 04:30 (compared to 14 pence for the rest of the day). My wife's commute is 10 times less in fuel cost compared to our gas car. I've already warmed the car up for her before she left in the morning in the last few days; not needed the heated seats just yet :D

My wife always feels like she's 'had an accident' when the heated seats were on in her old car...so...obviously this needs to be played on...can I turn on the heated seats remotely when she is driving (and I'm no where near)....haha

Do you lot all live in Lapland? Our car showed nearly 30C yesterday!

My wife always feels like she's 'had an accident' when the heated seats were on in her old car...so...obviously this needs to be played on...can I turn on the heated seats remotely when she is driving (and I'm no where near)....haha

We've always said the same. Our VW (cough) has 3 settings. The lowest is warm enough I only want it on for a couple of minutes.

The scheduling stuff is great when you're running to a schedule but I've only really one point in the week when this is the case. Other times a tap on the app a few minutes before departure.

Reactions: ACarneiro
ill just be setting mine to be warming up for 7 10 and be gone by 7 20 at most. unplugging I that time should be fine. the questions going to be what to do with a cable that's unplugged in rain and snow? I got a rolec and im not looking forward to winding up a cable each morning.

I don't know about you but we're enjoying a proverbial Indian Summer here in sunny West Herts today, but it will be cooler tomorrow and winter is only a few weeks away.

I've not yet experienced Tesla driving in cold weather so I'm curious as to how much range loss we can expect in low single finger centigrade temperatures, adding in a bit of rain for good measure :D

According to Teslafi my wife's 15.6 mile commute in the morning comes in at:

407 Wh/Mile

71.3% Efficiency

That's with the temperature outside at 13 Centigrade.

If you drop that to 3C, what kind of efficiency could we expect?

I have a very similar commute and 407 seems extraordinarily high! (I’m circa 240-270) Is she still in the “having too much fun” ownership period with a heavy right foot?

If you don't go for WC that has a tethered cable and a gun holder you can get a cable with a cap.

Caps (if you mean the sort of rubber cap that fits over the end of the connector) are often a bad idea. Many of these connectors aren't designed to be waterproof, instead they have holes in the bottom to allow any water that does enter to drain out.

If you now hang one of these upside down and put a waterproof cap over the end, it will tend to fill up with water and rot the contacts.

In practice, just having an arrangement where the connector hangs down vertically (pins down) when not in use is OK with no cover. Holsters that allow them to hang in the same orientation as when plugged in to a car are even better - but again not sealed.

• Informative
Reactions: Yev000 and Roy W.