Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter package

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

EdA

Model S P-2540
Mar 24, 2011
Cape Cod
OK, a flurry of activity from Tesla starting with an email last Thursday night, clicking on the website and a phone call today.
A whirlwind of activity actually.

So they haven't assigned me a VIN yet (they don't until the car is painted) but that is imminent in my case.

I went to order the winter package but it is sold out. Is this something I should just order from Tire Rack?
Does anyone have the exact info for what I need (Cinergi? [I just texted you])...

I'm having my car delivered to "my guy" who is going to put paint armor on the whole car. He is also a high-end tire place
and will do the tires...

Thanks,
/Ed

OK, a flurry of activity from Tesla starting with an email last Thursday night, clicking on the website and a phone call today.
A whirlwind of activity actually.

So they haven't assigned me a VIN yet (they don't until the car is painted) but that is imminent in my case.

I went to order the winter package but it is sold out. Is this something I should just order from Tire Rack?
Does anyone have the exact info for what I need (Cinergi? [I just texted you])...

I'm having my car delivered to "my guy" who is going to put paint armor on the whole car. He is also a high-end tire place
and will do the tires...

Thanks,
/Ed

Ed,

If you're getting the 19" wheels (I assume you are, but could be wrong) then in a pinch you could just buy the same tires that they list and have your place mount them on the wheels instead of the all-season. I realize that is not ideal, because from what I understand it's not a good thing to leave tires unmounted, but at least you would have winter tires on. There is a thread here that lists the wheel specs, I'll look around and edit when I find it.

David

Last edited:
Ed,

If you're getting the 19" wheels (I assume you are, but could be wrong) then in a pinch you could just buy the same tires that they list and have your place mount them on the wheels instead of the all-season. I realize that is not ideal, because from what I understand it's not a good thing to leave tires unmonted, but at least you would have winter tires on. There is a thread here that lists the wheel specs, I'll look around and edit when I find it.

David

Hi David,

I'm not a tire/wheel afficionado per se but I have done the following:

1.) Emailed the local service center to see what they recommend
2.) Phoned Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels after getting stumped but the choices on their website
a.) They recommended the Advanti B1 Lupo (Advanti Racing B1 Lupo Silver Painted) and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 (more tread depth than the Pirelli's, although I could order them if I wanted)

But I still would need to get the TPMS sensors from Tesla...

/Ed

I like the Advanti 19" Rims.

Hi David,

I'm not a tire/wheel afficionado per se but I have done the following:

1.) Emailed the local service center to see what they recommend
2.) Phoned Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels after getting stumped but the choices on their website
a.) They recommended the Advanti B1 Lupo (Advanti Racing B1 Lupo Silver Painted) and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 (more tread depth than the Pirelli's, although I could order them if I wanted)

But I still would need to get the TPMS sensors from Tesla...

/Ed

I realize that is not ideal, because from what I understand it's not a good thing to leave tires unmonted

As long as they are in ozone free conditions, are stored not more than four high (on their sides), and aren't stored in an area where they will be subject to rubbing (like a car's trunk) it's not the storage that's the problem. It's the mounting and demounting that are chancy. Each time you mount or demount a tire you risk damaging the bead area, so it's best to use a second set of wheels for winter tires (and because the winter wheels are likely to get messed up from road salt, if used wheels are around they're less expensive). It only takes a few mounting and balancing charges to pay for a set of wheels.

> Phoned Tire Rack - Your performance experts for tires and wheels after getting stumped by the choices on their website.
They recommended the Advanti B1 Lupo (Advanti Racing B1 Lupo Silver Painted) and Bridgestone Blizzak LM-60 (more tread depth than the Pirelli's, although I could order them if I wanted). But I still would need to get the TPMS sensors from Tesla... [EdA]

Nice to see that Tire Rack has rims that at least fit the S. Be sure to use bolt torque figures that Tire Rack advises, since apparently they are supplying lug nuts with the rims & not using the special ModelS lug nuts. If you apply 125 ft lbs on just tapers you are asking for trouble. If you apply full acceleration to these rims you are asking for trouble, in more ways than one. :scared:

IMHO.

Don't rush to 'tune' the TPMS, so you can see just how much of a nuisance ModelS will create. The Roadster randomly requires driver to listen to chimes & perform physical feedback, a minor PIA. Perhaps the S will be more benign; maybe some black tape over the error light could solve the problem.
--

Last edited: