Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Regen level seems to be a very variable thing between cars; you're experiencing what MINI E drivers expect as the norm; the difference is that you don't expect it. In the MINI E the regen is a constant, max regen, whereas the Roadster regen normally fades as you slow, the MINI remains constant so the braking force increases as you slow. Lift off at 65mph and the regen is firm but as you slow down it gets stronger and stronger peaking at about 40mph and staying strong right down to about 7mph where is eases off and finally disengages completely at about 1mph.

It's no wonder people have such different views on regen; they're all different.

Regen level seems to be a very variable thing between cars;...
It's no wonder people have such different views on regen; they're all different.

Regen issues.

Anyone feel a change in the regen on their cars? I don't mean based on full charge but overall change. Are there settings, software or switched (mechanical?), that would change the regen profile? Mine seems weaker than before. Perhaps at the last service and/or firmware upgrade?
There is a local stop sign that I know when I approach it with CC on at 50mph I know the exact roadside fence point to tap the brake (lights come on) so the car comes to a complete stop at the sign (and starts to creep). Now that brake point has moved up the road further away from the stop sign and I have not done a Range charge in weeks.

Maybe. I thought it felt weaker after the service, but I don't have anything near as close to a definitive measurement. If it is weaker and not just my imagination, it's got to be only by a small amount, but I always wanted it stronger in the first place.

Very fresh (had it's second service 3 weeks ago). Went out to get the firmware version, but if you open the charge port it skips the splash screen where it gives the version, and there isn't any other VDS screen where it appears. I'll try and pay attention when I turn the car on tomorrow. The old version was a year old.

Regen issues.

Anyone feel a change in the regen on their cars? I don't mean based on full charge but overall change. Are there settings, software or switched (mechanical?), that would change the regen profile? Mine seems weaker than before. Perhaps at the last service and/or firmware upgrade?

I just charged in Performance mode and of course the regen was turned off when I pulled the car out of the garage, which was the first time I experienced that... had to brake in a hurry! When the regen returned, it did seem weaker than before. I'll see tomorrow how it feels when it starts from being cool.

Very fresh (had it's second service 3 weeks ago). Went out to get the firmware version, but if you open the charge port it skips the splash screen where it gives the version, and there isn't any other VDS screen where it appears. I'll try and pay attention when I turn the car on tomorrow. The old version was a year old.

I can see it every time I turn the car on. The initial splash screen shows it in tiny font (upper right corner of the VDS).

Yeah, if you're in the car and use the key. I thought I was being clever by opening the charge port to see it instead of leaning in and using the key. Not so much. Yes, if I use the key first, I get 3.5.18. I'l also note that I also got the sound kit installed, which adds weight, so that could also be the difference.

I also felt that regen was reduced after my recent (April) annual service. So much so that I phoned Tesla to ask. No enlightenment there. Unfortunately I don't know what firmware I was on before, so cannot say if it changed.

I do note that the max kW of regen are about 35 - can't recall if it went higher before.

I've closed my center vents completely Michael...but the heater just doesn't provide much heat...the fan is performing well though...
Old thread, I know, but I've seen another tip: block the passenger floor vent. Barely affects the passenger side, but warms the driver side considerably. Since the driver's the one whose feet need to stay in about the same position, and are critical for survival ...

Whilst not had the chance to toboggan in the car yet, your point about efficiency going up is a good one. There has been lots of talk about range in electric cars going down when its cold. I find in the Tesla it goes up, the reason is that the wet icy conditions makes you drive more carefully so you use less wh per mile - this more than makes up for any extra use of the heating etc.
A guy in Alaska claimed 40K miles with about a 5mi. range loss. Cold hath its benefits.

I do. I used to spray water into the rear wheel arches which killed my PEM fan! After the new PEM fan that shouldn't be an issue however, I'm careful to use modest pressure (not the pressure washer), and don't have any problems anymore.

Thanks for info .....
Don't want to leave salt on car too long.
What a mess under door seal!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Had regen go out due to cold for first time!!! What a strange feeling. Worried about me stock brakes for the first time.

On the door thing - I must recommend the door sill update - part of the sound insulation pack I think but, no more opening the door to find a sill made completely of dirty road ice!

No regen, yeah - freaky! Our northerly brethren have moaned about it a lot... I thought pfft, really guys? Er, sorry guys. I just got into a cold car this week as I'm no longer working in a building with underground parking - I just discovered that I had brakes and had to use them!

Anybody drive routinely in rain,snow and on salty roads?
How do you get salt off of the car, bottom and rear wheel well?? I read on some thread that you shouldn't spray water in rear wheel well ....... It that true?

I spray tons of water in there, almost every day if there's salt. If you have the new fan with the shroud it won't be a problem. Even if you don't i wouldn't worry about it. My neighbors think I'm crazy cuz my car sometimes has icicles. If it's too cold I use a 2-gallon garden sprayer and fill it with hot water. I often think of taking my car off the road in the winter but it's such a let down driving another car.