Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Performance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lots of snow for us today ... it's still snowing so I haven't dug out yet nor driven in it but here's a sneak peak :)
IMG_0547.JPG

We got about 5" of snow last night...drive to work today was fine except that I couldn't get off the road into the laneway to my regular parking spot...the Town plow had gone by and deposited a formidable wall of snow across the entrance way... :frown:

We got about 5" of snow last night...drive to work today was fine except that I couldn't get off the road into the laneway to my regular parking spot...the Town plow had gone by and deposited a formidable wall of snow across the entrance way... :frown:

I hope you didn't park it on the street. The next snow plow operator will think your Arctic White car is a snowbank.

Not a chance Doug...kept in the garage (charging) at night ..today, I had to pull into the municipal lot as opposed to the space behind my office...interesting note...I watched a Ford Fusion & Nissan Sentra get stuck trying to breach the "Great (Snow) Wall of Grimsby" after I had tried...they didn't make it either! :biggrin:

Last edited:
Soft top. Light fluffy snow tho it was pressing down more than I expected. The support bars were clearly visible thru the fabric. Heavy wet snow should definitely be cleared off the soft top early and frequently. Or hard top. I will use the cover the next time -- the car is not designed to take a storm like this as it gets everywhere -- most disturbingly the two front fans are completely clogged with snow. I cleared out what I could but I fear what would happen if they tried to turn on. Prolly overheat or burn out the motors.

The wiper fluid reservoir is frozen nearly solid -- ridiculous for 26F weather. I can't use wiper fluid at all right now which is critical after snowstorm due to all the salt drying up on the windshield. I've borrowed a friends garage to thaw it out ...

Posted a video of me driving this evening in the videos section...

Plus a couple more pictures (oh, and yes, that's my 120 charging cable still connected -- turns out that's not a great idea as snow got in there everywhere and it was difficult to properly clean out).

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0549.JPG

I'm glad you mentioned the wiper fluid reservoir Ben...I'm having trouble with mine (and my car is plugged in in a semi-insulated garage (out of the elements) at night.

At first I thought it was the washer jets were frozen over...I cleared them with a pin, but still not working.

Any chance the Menlo Park folks are using a lightweight washer fluid or cutting it with water?...or might it be that the reservoir is too exposed to the weather?

I think that's it Doug...they're using California winter washer fluid (tonic water + a shot of vodka, a dash of bitters & a squeeze of lime :wink:) ...I just popped the cap on the reservoir...there's popsicles in there and it's only -7 C here today!...have to thaw it out, drain it & refill will the good stuff.

Mine froze up once, but I refilled it with proper antifreeze washer fluid and that seemed to clear it. Caveat: I haven't had it out in truly cold weather yet (only -10c).

I think that's it Doug...they're using California winter washer fluid (tonic water + a shot of vodka, a dash of bitters & a squeeze of lime :wink:) ...I just popped the cap on the reservoir...there's popsicles in there and it's only -7 C here today!...have to thaw it out, drain it & refill will the good stuff.

Tesla shouldn't be shipping Roadsters to Canada (or northern states) with washer fluid rated less than -40C. Even if they ship in the summer; mine arrived in July but had lots left by December. If the water was to freeze solid it would do damage.

We've been pretty lucky not to have any serious cold yet this winter.

Yeah I'm kinda wondering if my system's damaged now or not... The car has been parked in -15C this winter.
It's already down to -5C here (5:40 PM local time -- still at work) so I'm not sure it's been able to thaw out in my friend's garage. I'll find out tonight and report back any news as soon as it's thawed out and I've replaced the fluid.

It is indeed ridiculous to ship it with fluid that freezes nearly solid at -5C.

So while there was still a Huge Chunk of Frozen Material (HCFM) in the resevoir, the system had warmed up enough for me to run it dry and leave the HCFM there. I then ran through 1-2 liters of hot water (letting it sit for a while here and there) through, and then filled it with RainX fluid (good to -32C) and ran that through until I was clearly spraying the orange (how appropriate!) fluid. All's well now!

Another few inches of snow, and then freezing rain. It's ridiculously slippery outside. I can barely stand in the street without sliding downhill. I was about to go do what no Roadster owner should do and see how it handled on an untreated icy road. Wouldn't you know that as I'm preparing, the salt truck goes by :) I'll still mount up the camera and take some video for everyone. If I'm feeling bored, I'll take some video from the AWD Subaru for comparison.

Video posted in the video forum. Includes Subaru comparison. These were about the worst conditions (aside from trying to drive in more than 6" of snow) you can find.
Again, I'm amazed. It was slow-going in some spots, but it went. The Subaru slipped a LOT, but had more overall traction so I could get up and go faster. But not once did the Roadster end up in a position where it wouldn't go.
After I'd finished both drives, a truck pulled up next to me on my street for directions and when he left, he had a *very* hard time going -- I thought he was going to get stuck.
You can't see it well, but I drove over an area of snow that was several inches deep due to plowing patterns (this was when I made the left turn to turn around). Again, no problems.

Did you had any problems with the blower for the PEM? I was told my problems are in connection of salt/wet conditions. i have now the forth blower for PEM and second for AC-Motor in my car. My car is exactly 2 month old?

I haven't yet, no. I wonder if the "salt" (I think we technically use calcium-something, not salt) used is different here and that might affect things differently?