Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter prep - Any other suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traditionally, I get my cars ready for winter the first weekend of December. For the Tesla model S, I did the following this weekend, much less work than the ICE cars in the garage! Wish I had the cold winter package but wasn't out when. I ordered the car....no regrets.....Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Happy holidays to all.

Last edited:
Nice list; wish I had installed winter mats in the passenger areas. Went skiing this weekend and the parking lot was a muddy mess resulting in, of course, muddy mats. Fortunately, I have the Tesla all weather mats in the trunk and frunk so snowmelt from skis and boots wasn't a problem.

For those with winter experience last year; did you run into windshield washer line freeze? I know there's more value in the heater than that but curious if you could get the fluid on to the windshield.

perhaps I should try the wheel bands that don't use the rim clip but simply stick on. Would like some protection for the rims if possible. Any suggestions for this would also be appreciated.

I've found the 19" wheels to be not very susceptible to wheel rash, unlike the 21". However, the best winter solution is to use a set of wheels that you don't care all that much about because even if you don't hit anything, there is still the salt.

Maybe check with Tesla about its impact on the 12V system. That's significant extra power draw I would think. If that battery goes flat you're not starting up...

Also I question the need. Just get properly rated washer fluid. I live in a part of Canada that gets "real winter" and have never felt the need for such a thing.

Also I question the need. Just get properly rated washer fluid. I live in a part of Canada that gets "real winter" and have never felt the need for such a thing.

That's 'cause you live where they sell real washer fluid. Here they just add blue food colouring to the water. (At least, that's how it performs.) Anything resembling cool weather causes the washers to freeze up. You can't purchase real washer fluid here.

Should be fine. Shuts off if the voltage drops. Per FAQs...

The unit operates only when the vehicle voltage is 13.0V or higher. The unit turns off when the voltage is 12.7V
or lower. The normal engine off voltage for a battery is12.4 – 12.7V

More info.....http://www.alphathermusa.com/FAQ.html

Not convinced. I wouldn't put one in. Not given the trouble people have had with the 12V system.

For what it's worth I have lived all my life in countries with many months of real winter (Sweden, Norway) and I have never ever heard of a windshield wiper fluid heating device. It's possible to buy cheap wiper fluid here in the summertime, which is rated for only -10 Celcius, but in the winter you get one with considerably higher alcohol concentration, which is rated at at least -25 or -30 Celcius (which means it stays liquid to at least that temperature). I never put anything but that in the car at summer either, since cheap wiper fluid promotes corrosion and other problems (drying of seals, packings?) in the wiper fluid system.

Also, let's say it's really cold outside (-15 Celcius) and you spray "hot" (at least warm) fluid on the windshield. It will freeze instantly as it hits the windshield anyway, creating a layer of ice right? If you had a correct mix with lots of alcohol it wouldn't freeze. So what's the point really?

Traditionally, I get my cars ready for winter the first weekend of December. For the Tesla model S, I did the following this weekend, much less work than the ICE cars in the garage! Wish I had the cold winter package but wasn't out when. I ordered the car....no regrets.....Any additional suggestions would be appreciated. Happy holidays to all.

Dry kitty litter (basically sand) for when you find yourself "parked" on ice with no traction. Small snow shovel.

I literally just top off the wiper fluid and toss the wire chains in the back. Went all last winter, including many trips to Stratton, VT with nothing else. I often need the chains to get up my VT driveway in snow with my wife's Highlander... Model S plus chains is a breeze; raise her up, throw them on, and up I go. Only needed them twice, but both times snow was over 4", so I was plowing with the nosecone. The energy graph was hilarious.

We are expecting 3" snow tomorrow. I'll be driving into NYC as I do every day. I should maybe get snow tires I suppose, but the traction control is good enough for me thus far (one year anniversary Wednesday).

I literally just top off the wiper fluid and toss the wire chains in the back. Went all last winter, including many trips to Stratton, VT with nothing else. I often need the chains to get up my VT driveway in snow with my wife's Highlander... Model S plus chains is a breeze; raise her up, throw them on, and up I go. Only needed them twice, but both times snow was over 4", so I was plowing with the nosecone. The energy graph was hilarious.

We are expecting 3" snow tomorrow. I'll be driving into NYC as I do every day. I should maybe get snow tires I suppose, but the traction control is good enough for me thus far (one year anniversary Wednesday).

You drove without snow tires last year without issue? What tires/rims did you have on? What model do you have?

I get my p85+ next week and already ordered 19inch snow tires/rims

I use a shop vac with a small, flexible, pipe.

- - - Updated - - -

I have the standard 19"s.

I really had no problems with them, though they were new. I drove in today in the ice without any issues. I take it slow and worry more about the people in Landrovers than my Model S.

- - - Updated - - -

Ironically, no sooner had I written this post than my wife effectively forbade me from snow driving in my Model S until I get snow tires... She is right, I should get them. Man, her timing is amazing.