Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter prep - Any other suggestions?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've toyed with the idea of those washer fluid heaters, but honestly have never come across a situation where I would have needed it. And the Model S nozzles are better protected under the hood lip than most. I do always use a premium -45C washer fluid.

I also pack a warm "work parka", hat and gloves in the car just in case, and just this year threw my winter-rated sleeping bag in the back. If I ever get stuck it'll serve as a warm blanket.

I've toyed with the idea of those washer fluid heaters, but honestly have never come across a situation where I would have needed it. And the Model S nozzles are better protected under the hood lip than most. I do always use a premium -45C washer fluid.

I also pack a warm "work parka", hat and gloves in the car just in case, and just this year threw my winter-rated sleeping bag in the back. If I ever get stuck it'll serve as a warm blanket.

My washer froze (along with all the roads) about 20 years ago in Binghamton, NY.
Was attempting to drive back to Boston, leaving around 5am and making into work around 9-ish.
I kept having to pull over and clean the windows with snow from the side of the road.
That is until I finally came to civilization (5 miles off the highway) where a garage used a
hair dryer to melt the contents of the tub. I'm guessing the stuff I had in there wasn't winter rated.

My washer froze (along with all the roads) about 20 years ago in Binghamton, NY.

Yeah, you gotta use the good stuff. I use it year round just so there's no chance it will be diluted come the cold weather.

I once had a car with the washers actually on the wiper arms. They work great, but you REALLY have to make sure and use the good stuff with those. Once I didn't and I kept having to stop and wrap my hand around the wiper arm where the nozzles were to thaw them out!

Yeah, you gotta use the good stuff. I use it year round just so there's no chance it will be diluted come the cold weather.

I once had a car with the washers actually on the wiper arms. They work great, but you REALLY have to make sure and use the good stuff with those. Once I didn't and I kept having to stop and wrap my hand around the wiper arm where the nozzles were to thaw them out!

I rented a car like that once, and they sure didn't use the good stuff. Had to drive from Montreal to Ottawa in conditions where the road was just a little bit wet and salted - the kind of day where you'd be worried about emptying the fluid reservoir. Well, I didn't because the sprayers were frozen solid. Ended up just leaving the wipers running dry because it kinda scraped enough off that I could sorta see. I was just a wee bit surly when I turned the car in...

OK, so today I plugged in at work and we got under 2" of snow.
I couldn't get the charging cable out of the car and I couldn't get the J1772 adapter
separated from the cable. I think we need a sleeve (velcro?) to put over the J1772
adapter to prevent freeze up.