Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Questions: Tires, Wheels, Suspension

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

In December I plan on driving up to a friend's cabin in NC (not in the middle of nowhere, but kinda). I have done this trip a couple of times but never during winter, and given I am a fellow Florida man that does not have to deal with very cold temperatures, ice, or, snow at any point of the year, I wanted to get some insight from those who know as to what I should do/buy, etc.

- If it doesn't snow, do y'all think I can survive on PS4Ss (Summer tires)?
- Should I just get winter-rated tires and call it a day?
- Will the weather absolutely destroy my wheels and suspension components?

I know getting a rental would be easier, but I really want to drive up there, so looking to see if I can make it float. I appreciate any and all help.

Summer tires are going to get stiff and brittle in cold weather and thus less grip. Be careful, don't push it and you should be fine. Watch for shady areas because black ice can form but nothing short of studs will help on ice. The snow NC gets (I grew up in the NC/TN mountains) is honestly nothing to be concerned about. It's not going to destroy anything. Where I live in the Rockies now (over 6,000' elevation), we get 5-6 feet of snow and my 3 has no problem on barely plowed roads.

• Helpful
Reactions: tm1v2
Summer tires are going to get stiff and brittle in cold weather and thus less grip. Be careful, don't push it and you should be fine. Watch for shady areas because black ice can form but nothing short of studs will help on ice. The snow NC gets (I grew up in the NC/TN mountains) is honestly nothing to be concerned about. It's not going to destroy anything. Where I live in the Rockies now (over 6,000' elevation), we get 5-6 feet of snow and my 3 has no problem on barely plowed roads.
Thank you! Hopefully I do not have to deal with snow, though I would not mind buying a set of winter tires if needed.

I sincerely suggest to get some winter or all-season tires. Even cheap or 1-2 year used, just no bald.

Because first of all, you're going to destroy expensive ps4s - they will lose most of their grip permanently.

Second - your grip would be like 5-7 times less with cold tires, it's just won't be really stopping at all. Without enough low grip riding experience it can end up very bad and expensive.

Reactions: santua