Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter range and battery conditioning.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I will be parking my M3 outside in my driveway over the cold months. Is there a way to limit range loss by conditioning the car an hour or so before leaving in the morning while it’s plugged in? I read there is no batter heater on the 3. Leaving work it would be cold soaked though. If it can be prewarmed is that a timer available on the app one can set before bed for instance?

Yeah, you’ll get accustomed to scheduling the charge at 2am or 3am depending on how cold it is, and how much you drove the day before, and how much you need to drive the next day. The goal is to have the battery sufficiently charged, and still charging, when you first drfive in the morning. It works out just fine! Side note, in a MX, even with this strategy on particularly cold days it could take up to an hour for full regen. Winters are a little weird, but it’s part of the joy.

Other people subscribe to the “always have a car charged” theory in “just in case” you need it. Charge it to 80% as soon as you get home, and schedule a charge to 90% in the early morning. With the LR model, you could probably get away with just going up to 75 or 80% charge with ease. You’ll get the hang of it