Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Road Trip: SoCal to Utah

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wanted to share some pictures and notes from our road trip from Socal to visit Horseshoe Bend, Bryce Canyon, and Zion!
Very fun trip, and longest yet with the Model 3. Already thinking about the next roadtrip!

Yeah!!! I went L.A. to Zion Mountain Ranch to Denver to Missouri and back over the holidays in a 2020 S. Spent 3 days at ZMR and overnight in Denver each way. (Full safety and isolated family care was taken)

Several times I got sensor outage warnings (radar and left pillar) and going from Vail to Denver picked up about an inch of ice over the nose/radar in whiteout conditions...very challenging drive. I don't think FSD could work that out! But all in all, the car performed very well.

Some background:
- 2018 LR RWD (April 2018 build) with EAP, 30k total miles and riding on 19 inch wheels. Lifetime efficiency of 220 kWh/mi. Took the car on about half dozen trips before (SF/Bay area, Vegas 3x, Phoenix/Sedona, plus some weekenders to San Diego and Santa Barbara) so I'm pretty familiar with trip planning/charging.
- Used PlugShare to book hotels with EV chargers. Bryce was a bit worrisome due to lack of options but it turned out fine.

I've got a 2019 LR RWD 19 wheels, from Socal same as you. 37k miles of which about half the miles are from day trips and road trips. I'm stunned your lifetime efficiency is only 220 Wh/mi. I'm at 253 Wh/mi.

I’m new to Tesla (Model Y owner)...in regards to the top off charge you did at the La Quinta Inn, did you have to ask for permission first? Do they have a Tesla Destination Charger, or just a regular Level 2 charger? Was this a free charge?
Thanks! Looking to road tripping soon...

Destination charger. I read on PlugShare there's a fee to use them, but the front desk was kind enough to not collect. I would have paid though since I wanted a bigger buffer to get to Page.

Reactions: RayB
Thanks for sharing. I did my first roadie, from LA-SF. There were so many supercharging stations along HW101 my range anxiety was quickly lost. Any problem with opening your doors from the ice/frost on the windows? I've seen a video where Tesla Model Y didn't open bc the ice on window prevented the window from slightly sliding down when you first open the doors.
No problems from the windows opening, maybe because I defrosted and pre-warmed the car for a good amount of time beforehand. The handles did stick a bit so it required more force to push them out.

Yeah!!! I went L.A. to Zion Mountain Ranch to Denver to Missouri and back over the holidays in a 2020 S. Spent 3 days at ZMR and overnight in Denver each way. (Full safety and isolated family care was taken)

Several times I got sensor outage warnings (radar and left pillar) and going from Vail to Denver picked up about an inch of ice over the nose/radar in whiteout conditions...very challenging drive. I don't think FSD could work that out! But all in all, the car performed very well.
I've heard great things about ZMR, and we stopped there for a bit on the way from Bryce to Zion to see the animals. Going to stay there next time we head out that way!

Sweet memories. Did that tour somewhere in 1990. Walked that same passage in Bryce.
No EV’s then and no snow :)
Thanks for sharing!

Nowadays we travel Europe with a Renault Zoe or our Tesla Model3. Every year a Wave in or around the Alps ( wavetrophy.com, durabledutch.tumblr.com ) and some nice tours by ourself; Denmark, Norway Sognefjord, France Normandy, the D-day beaches ( zoe-nl.tumblr.com ).

I've got a 2019 LR RWD 19 wheels, from Socal same as you. 37k miles of which about half the miles are from day trips and road trips. I'm stunned your lifetime efficiency is only 220 Wh/mi. I'm at 253 Wh/mi.
Right, it seems low from what I see around here. I gun it every once in awhile, but otherwise drive normally and max regen. Work commute is mainly stop and go, I think that's a factor too. I had the stock 18s on (no covers) for the first 10k miles, but putting on the 19s didn't make THAT much of a difference. Maybe from 213 to 220.

20210215_115716.jpg

Thanks for the post! Bryce is one of our favorite places we’ve ever visited. In planning a trip out west from Indiana, I see a few places where ABRP has red flags, so it is nice to know that the hinterlands can be negotiated with planning and flexibility. Like you, I get nervous as the arrival charge starts dropping and dropping; I would be stopping at the LaQuinta too.

We did Page (100%) to Bryce Canyon (Rainbow Point) to Beaver, Utah, then on to SLC in September in our 2020 MS LR+ (402 miles). Had about 25% arriving at Beaver, but didn't have to stop for Level 2 anywhere. Looks like it will require an overnight destination charger. Still planning on how to do North Rim Grand Canyon.The national parks need more chargers!

Thanks for sharing your story and beautiful pics! My wife and I will visit that area for the first time next month, will fly to Vegas and rent a car for drive to Utah, will stay in Kanab. I had not heard of Virgin River Gorge and Mt. Carmel Hwy but I made notes to visit them. Maybe someday we will road-trip out there in our Model 3!

Here's a picture from Lower Antelope Canyon so you won't have to suffer another road trip in your Model 3 just to see it!

06.17.jpeg

This is the picture I use as wallpaper on my Mac. We just went to lower Antelope Canyon so someone else will have to post a picture from Upper Antelope Canyon for you, (and me!). Your picture of Horseshoe Bend looks just like mine, (which I have framed and so should you). On second thought a post Covid trip might be in order for you to do the Antelope Canyons and do the Narrows in Zion Park in warmer weather!

Reactions: XPsionic
Here's a picture from Lower Antelope Canyon so you won't have to suffer another road trip in your Model 3 just to see it!

View attachment 637067
This is the picture I use as wallpaper on my Mac. We just went to lower Antelope Canyon so someone else will have to post a picture from Upper Antelope Canyon for you, (and me!). Your picture of Horseshoe Bend looks just like mine, (which I have framed and so should you). On second thought a post Covid trip might be in order for you to do the Antelope Canyons and do the Narrows in Zion Park in warmer weather!
Very nice picture! Yes, AC and Narrows for sure on the next one, thinking Arches too.