Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Road Trip with dogs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone done a significant road trip in the middle of Winter? With dogs?

For the lunch stop with warmer temperatures, I would try to find a "dog friendly" restaurant, which translates into one with a patio. In the winter it would be too cold to sit on a patio. Unless you have a service animal, restaurants are not going to let you come in with a pet.

I imagine you would basically have to grab take-out from somewhere, then eat in your vehicle while it charges in the cold. Meanwhile feeding and watering the dogs...

How does "dog mode" work in the cold? Does it heat the seats or use heated air?

If anyone has done this kind of trip, please share your experiences and any tips.

TIA

My Golden loved riding in the back well of my X. He was comfy and secure back there on a teather.

With dog mode (uses warm/cool air) pooch remains comfortable. I usually go into a non dog friendly restaurant to eat, and bring him something back. Also carry his standard kibble so as not to introduce dietary change on the road.

With dog in the back, the tinted windows usually keep prying eyes from going bonkers that a dog is inside a car alone.

Gotta remember to let them out to walk around, sniff and generally be a part of the traveling experience.

Only downside is that he sheds like crazy. Found out that while vacuuming gets some of the hair, a moist towell works great to remove the fur. Just drag it across the carpet and most of it will come right off.

Reactions: ivyvy
I am a little worried about leaving my dog in the car alone. He is a puppy so I cannot use a crash harness on him yet. I do have a PupSaver which attaches to the back seat using child seat latches. The PupSaver attaches to him via an adjustable tether, so I could loosen that up to give him more freedom when stopped.

No way to predict what the temperatures will be for the Christmas trip I am planning. Hopefully it will not be too uncomfortable (for him and me) to take him on walks.

Only downside is that he sheds like crazy. Found out that while vacuuming gets some of the hair, a moist towell works great to remove the fur. Just drag it across the carpet and most of it will come right off.

Mine is a Wheaten Terrier so I don't have to deal with the shedding, but he does need a hair cut every couple of months. Personally, I will take that trade off.

My lab sits easily on the floor of my six seater. In principle I don’t like leaving him there when I’m gone, but dog mode has worked when I pop in for groceries or something, though I keep checking the temp in the app just in case.