Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Shock : 800kWh?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys, I'm on my first 6-months of owning a new Tesla Model X in Minnesota and seeing upwards of 750-800kWh when gently driving through the city in single-digit temps (below 15 degrees). This is after a short pre-warming and sitting in a garage that is heated to 40 degrees. Does this seem crazy accessive? I love the vehicle no matter what, but the range hit and energy use is MUCH-MUCH higher than expected. I realize the X is a heavy-weight, but man...

I think you mean 750-800 Wh/mile?

That could be normal, if it’s cold enough and you’re driving slow enough.

You mentioned prewarming and a heated garage. Was your regen still restricted? (yellow dashes on the power display...)

The heaters in the car can pull 12kW by themselves (battery and cabin,) which can wreak havoc on your efficiency numbers.

If you’re worried and have a little time, get into the freeway and take a couple hour drive at freeway speeds. If it comes down to within twenty percent or so of what you’re used to for summer freeway driving, everything is fine and you’re just seeing the heater usage at city driving speeds. If it doesn’t come down after an hour or two and after the yellow dashes go away, contact Tesla then.

Not sure as I am in Texas and have not been driving in the extreme weather you are, but that cannot be right. I would think a max of 400 Wpm and far less once the car gets warm. The cold climate package in my S claims zero battery degradation in cold climate driving. Of course I do not believe that but what you are seeing seems extreme.

What is a "short pre-warming"? Just the cabin? The battery needs heating and that can take 20 minutes or so (of driving) in Texan cold temps (close to freezing). After that the usage will drop significantly. If you're doing short trips only, the battery never has a chance to warm so your over all average will be high. 800kW sounds high to me, but then I've never been in your temps.

Try charging the battery for the hour or so before driving? That ought to warm it (?)

You're driving gently?? What the heck.. I think your energy rate is a penalty for driving so overly conservative. Tear it up! You'll be having too much fun to worry about range... blah blah blah. Were you by chance navigating to a supercharger?

Yes Sir, regen was definitely restricted. I'm doing a lot of shorter trips and the regen yellow dashes are never going away. OK, I will take your advice and run it on the freeway for an hour to see what happens. I'm assuming based on your message that I should see the yellow lines disappear, and at that point I should see no more than about a 20% range loss?

What is a "short pre-warming"? Just the cabin? The battery needs heating and that can take 20 minutes or so (of driving) in Texan cold temps (close to freezing). After that the usage will drop significantly. If you're doing short trips only, the battery never has a chance to warm so your over all average will be high. 800kW sounds high to me, but then I've never been in your temps.

Try charging the battery for the hour or so before driving? That ought to warm it (?)

I will try that as a test too! Thank you for the feedback. If I'm still seeing crazy high numbers after the tests you guys suggest, I will call service.

You're driving gently?? What the heck.. I think your energy rate is a penalty for driving so overly conservative. Tear it up! You'll be having too much fun to worry about range... blah blah blah. Were you by chance navigating to a supercharger?

Haha yeah, I'm not too worried about the range at all because it's only been short trips, but I was getting a little nervous about it in case I need to do a longer trip. I only have a standard range model. :( Also, I was not navigating to a supercharger....

I will try that as a test too! Thank you for the feedback. If I'm still seeing crazy high numbers after the tests you guys suggest, I will call service.
You are making me have second thoughts about taking my MS to the family Lake house in Clear Lake, Iowa which sits 16 miles from the Minnesota border. I have seen it reach 20 below right on the Lakefront.

Come to think of it I did not see a single Tesla there this summer.

I have noticed that the number on the display is not very accurate. For example, my S is showing average around 340wh/mi but when I calculate the usage for the day myself, it's closer to 500. So don't be fooled by the number. These cars are performance cars and not very efficient compared to other Electric cars. It's still better than gas cars, but not by the margin they claim

Haha yeah, I'm not too worried about the range at all because it's only been short trips, but I was getting a little nervous about it in case I need to do a longer trip. I only have a standard range model. :( Also, I was not navigating to a supercharger....

The other replies are accurate in my experience. Get in on the highway - that is the only place you will see sub 300 Wpm in my experience using any type of climate control. Driving to Dallas on I-35 in 70 degree weather I commonly see 250 Wpm and sometimes better. It all averages out.

Yes Sir, regen was definitely restricted. I'm doing a lot of shorter trips and the regen yellow dashes are never going away. OK, I will take your advice and run it on the freeway for an hour to see what happens. I'm assuming based on your message that I should see the yellow lines disappear, and at that point I should see no more than about a 20% range loss?

The battery heating continues for a few minutes after the yellow lines disappear but basically yes, from that point on it should be no more than about twenty percent above what you see in the summer.

If what you’re looking at is the total trip average, it might still be a little higher but drifting down. Certainly your 5 and 15 mile averages should be that range.

Ok, perhaps a really silly question then...to preheat the battery, my best option is to "pre warm" the cabin climate for 20 or 30 minutes? I prewarmed the cabin this morning in my heated garage (40 degrees for about 30 min) then drove to the airport for 25-30 minutes in 20 degrees and I still had a half or quarter yellow lines for regeneration. Normal???

I've only noticed this "battery heating" logo once when I did a "cabin climate preheat" and that was when it had been sitting outside at the airport.

• Funny
Reactions: tyson