Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Shoes [tyres]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
drove up from Edinburgh with the new car last Saturday there was a fair smattering of snow on the mountains. We live beside the infamous Cairn o’Mount Road which frequently gets closed in the winter and we use this road whenever we head south if open. So the sooner I get my winter shoes the better!! On previous cars I always changed over the wheels when the clocks changed.

Same here in the Borders. I thought I may be being a little previous getting the winters on this week but it's been the right decision. Looking at the week to come it's more low temperatures for us. According to what I read winter tyres don't do too badly if the temperature is a bit warmer than ideal ... it's not like the way summer tyre performance drops like a stone after the magical 7 degrees that everyone refers to.

I’ve always used winter wheels up here - anything below 10deg and they’re better than normal tyres in nearly all conditions. Above 10 deg I don’t actually notice much difference between the winter and summer tyres. The only reason I change back to normal tyres in spring is to preserve the tread for next winter.

My M3 winter 18" tyres arrived before the car! I've always used winters (I am a skier/boarder) - the biggest benefit is tyre rotation every 6 months. Although the 18" winter package has directional tyres which will limit the rotation possibilities. The manmaths is that losing a couple of days or work would pay for them - in 2010 we had 40 continuous days below 0°c.

The wheel/tyre is very light compared to my Subaru wheels.

Moderator comment - post merged from "Winter tyres"

Just looking at ordering a 3LR.

My plan would be to run winter and summer tyres.

I like the 19" sport wheel option but have found the winter tyre selection limited in this size.

The 18" standard wheels have a lot more choice for winters.

Is anyone else using winter tyres on the 19" sport wheels, and if so from where?

Last edited by a moderator:
When I first looked at winters about 10 years back I found winter tyre choice was very limited. I was told by my local indy that we needed to get in early/ahead of the season as once stock has gone its generally not available until just ahead of the next season. I guess they don't want to have to store tyres that are not likely to be sold.

When we got our winters for the Tesla, we made sure that we got in early.

• Informative
Reactions: Adopado
When I first looked at winters about 10 years back I found winter tyre choice was very limited. I was told by my local indy that we needed to get in early/ahead of the season as once stock has gone its generally not available until just ahead of the next season. I guess they don't want to have to store tyres that are not likely to be sold.

When we got our winters for the Tesla, we made sure that we got in early.

Interesting, thanks.

Just went on Wheelbase site and they still list all the winter tyres available to order... So seen a bigger list there.

Last edited:
Moderator comment - post merged from "Winter tyres"

Is anyone else using winter tyres on the 19" sport wheels, and if so from where?
Michelin Alpins here. Very happy with them.
D32302D5-3560-4ED2-B6C0-61CBACEF8D5D.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: navt and KennethS
Very nice. What wheels are they? See they have Tesla emblem on the caps, but they look aftermarket?
Apologies, I didn't read your thread correctly and focussed on the 19" winter bit of it!

They are Varro VD25X spin-forged wheels bought off a forum member on here. They came with the centre caps so I just sourced the TPMS and tyres. I like the little extra rubber over the stock 20", especially for the winter time.