Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Software Update Feature Request

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla made some nice changes for the first winter the Model 3 went through, I'm hoping they'll be doing the same for the second. So with the second winter for many Model 3 owners fast approaching I compiled a few things from last season that I think would be very beneficial, and seemingly quick/easy, updates to make to the Model 3 even better this winter. I attempted to email this to "[email protected]" but was informed by the bounce-back that they no longer monitor that email address. Does anyone know the new email address for generic support to use for this?

Winter Improvements
* Winter Wiper Mode - Replicate dedicated wiper defrost by having the wipers rest right where the internal defroster hits the windshield, very similar to the existing wiper maintenance mode. For use when parked, or when driving.
** When parked in snow, freezing rain, etc and preheated the cabin heat in defroster mode will melt the snow and ice on the wiper blades making it easier clean off/scrape your car before driving.
** When driving the heat will again help melt the ice and snow. The angle of the blades and the wind from driving will help to clear the blades of snow and slush. As they currently operate the wipers are tucked away when not in use or actively wiping the windshield which is fine for dry and rain, but sub-optimal for winter driving. I had issue last winter my wipers freezing up, which looks like it could be improved via a software update.
* Winter Single Pedal Driving - Utilize battery warming, like what is done to precondition for super charging, to make a more consistent driving experience (ie single pedal driving) between the warmer seasons and winter. Expend some extra battery energy, and effectively range, to be able to have a more consistent driving experience. Last winter it was always a bit different everyday I'd drive which was annoying if not a bit alarming at times when you lift off expecting regen braking but instead you get zero regen and keep coasting along at the same rate of speed towards something.

* "Snow Mode" Traction Control Setting - More conservative traction control to keep the back from stepping out. Also is effectively a shortcut to turn on chill mode and low regen, along with the super nanny-ish traction control setting. This setting is targeted to make driving in slippery conditions easier and less stressful.

* Enable side mirror defroster separate from the rear window defroster. Self explanatory, sometimes you need one without the other.

"Snow Mode" Disclaimer - Before people tell me to learn to drive or get better tires, I grew up driving in Maine, have done my fair share of track events and run Blizzaks all winter. So please spare us all those comments :) and remember it's an _option_ don't use it if you don't want it.

* Winter Single Pedal Driving - Utilize battery warming, like what is done to precondition for super charging, to make a more consistent driving experience (ie single pedal driving) between the warmer seasons and winter. Expend some extra battery energy, and effectively range, to be able to have a more consistent driving experience. Last winter it was always a bit different everyday I'd drive which was annoying if not a bit alarming at times when you lift off expecting regen braking but instead you get zero regen and keep coasting along at the same rate of speed towards something.

This. I've had this idea for awhile and it seems like a win-win. The car probably needs some heat anyway, why not generate some extra heat in the motor.

Reactions: Lobstahz
Can confirm these would be welcome changes in Norway too.

Looking forward (or not) to seeing how well regen “lets go” when losing grip on real ice. Are you currently supposed to set it to chill and less regen manually or will the system decide from situation to situation?

Reactions: APotatoGod
I would like to have the option to reverse break power ratio front/back when backing downhill on snow or ice. Or automatic adjustment of break power ratio according to weight distribution. Backing downhill is something I have to do when going to a mountain cabin that has an awkward parking space. The S becomes almost unmanageable when trying to back downhill and turn into the parking space. The front swirls all over the place. Anyone else experienced this problem?

Tesla did away with their "[email protected]" email address. Does anyone know the new one to use to attempt a feature request? Or in general, aside from tweeting at Elon and hoping he responds, to submit feedback?

I realize the chances are slim, but you miss every shot you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky/Michael Scott ;)

Tesla did away with their "[email protected]" email address. Does anyone know the new one to use to attempt a feature request? Or in general, aside from tweeting at Elon and hoping he responds, to submit feedback?

I realize the chances are slim, but you miss every shot you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky/Michael Scott ;)
The Facebook folk seem pretty active. Tried Twitter because someone suggested Elon might read any comments. Luckily my problem was quickly resolved (tail light wire was loose and a mobile technician was sent almost 3300miles to fix it) so never had to pursue that avenue. Heard it works though.

First real snow drive of the year today. Another big reminder that Tesla needs to implement a "snowmode" and default more power to front.

The most frustrating thing is that Tesla can _absolutely_ fix this, they just need to shift more power to the front. They do this already with "track mode" on the Model 3P. So they have the code written to do it, they just need to adjust it (leave something special for Model 3P, of course) and provide it to the fleet.

So Tesla either doesn't know that this is a problem, which would be terrible and continue the +1's on the "they don't test"/"California car" criticism. Or they don't care, and that's terrible as they continue to add games, fart mode, boombox, etc instead of address issues with the primary function of driving the car safely in adverse conditions.

I agree with you that more winter testing should be done by Tesla, with a few more options for us. The "snow mode" we need is not to make the stability control system even more aggressive though. It is already very restrictive and will never let the back slide. Yes, there are cases where it will ever so slightly move sideways. If it reduces even more, we'll never get any power down. I already feel like power is getting limited too much, sometimes even on pavement in summer... I would want Snow Mode to do as you said in a later post, give more power to the front instead of being RWD unless we mash the throttle. It must also reduce the stability and traction controls so we can slide the back a bit, which will help the car turn. Currently the car is very understeering when it's slippery and that is actually almost as dangerous as an oversteering car. I'm fine with having 3 options: granny mode - normal mode - fun mode , as long as I get the fun mode.
People are very stressed about regen and I think it's unjustified. I'm at my second winter in Quebec and I can vouch for the fact the regen will reduce gradually when it's slippery. It will not cut drastically like other EVs, and it will not lock the wheels. Yes, like the acceleration, there might be an ever so slight slip for 1/10 of a second as the system adjusts. It's never enough to make the driving dangerous. Once you accept the fact that in slippery conditions tires will sometimes slip just a little bit, it gets better.
I for one would not want a mode that actively heats the battery as I drive. Motors already generate waste heat, and my range is reduced by like 50% for short trips. I would not want that to become worse. I would indeed prefer having regen but I can get that by preheating the cabin, which preheats the battery. I would in fact want the option to sometimes NOT preheat the battery as it's wasteful for short trips. Today I refrain from preheating the cabin to do that, which means less comfort for my drive. Yes, I'm fine with an additional option, I just don't want the default to be what you describe.

And then, as you get more and more options, users become confused.

I would like to add to the "winter driving request list" if I may: How about directing the loss of regeneration energy into the cabin heater (Model S only) so you feel an instant boost of heat when decelerating in cold weather. Since the regeneration into a cold battery is practically nil, this energy could be directed into the cabin instead of wasted on brake pad friction. Also, this would make the winter driving "feel" like actual regeneration. I'm sure the resistive coils in the ducts could handle a few 50 kw bursts of heat.

50kW in resistive heating? Nah. In the Model 3 I think they can go up to 7kW, something like that. At least in the model 3, the car does a bit of regen to use some power, or for example regens with one motor and generates heat in the other. I've seen things like that happen. It's just that you don't feel 3 or even 5kW of regen, it feels like there's none.