Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter storage battery charge percentage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a new Plaid in mid May this year. I routinely charge to 90%. I will visit my daughter in Phoenix for February and March and I’m asking for advice on battery charge percentage. It sits in a garage plugged in to 240 volts and the temperature doesn’t get below 35-40 degrees even on the coldest days here in central Ohio. Should I have a friend drive the car occasionally? I really like this car but I only have 3700 miles on it since May.

With it plugged in, inside the garage, no other worries. No sense in keeping it at 90% though. Flatspots on tires are the only possible worry, but 2 months you should be good. Maybe I would inflate the tires to maximum listed on sidewall, as they will only lose pressure.

For peace of mind, I always set the slider @ near 90% while away from home on the extended trips. Reason: the poor power company infrastructure and not very uncommon long power outages. Don't want to worry about the SoC dipping too low. But, that's just me.

I charged my Feb 2022 MSLR to 90% and left it (sentry off) in the garage for 2 back to back 7 day cruises. I monitored it with the Tessie app without waking the car. After 14 days it lost less than 1% per day (I can't remember the exact number). It was not plugged in but I was ready to get the neighbor to plug in. For 30 days, I would do the same while planning for 1% per day drain and have neighbor stand by to plug in. No neighbor needed unless it dropped to less than 20% (more than 70 day absence).

I charged my Feb 2022 MSLR to 90% and left it (sentry off) in the garage for 2 back to back 7 day cruises. I monitored it with the Tessie app without waking the car. After 14 days it lost less than 1% per day (I can't remember the exact number). It was not plugged in but I was ready to get the neighbor to plug in. For 30 days, I would do the same while planning for 1% per day drain and have neighbor stand by to plug in. No neighbor needed unless it dropped to less than 20% (more than 70 day absence).

Why wouldn’t you do what Tesla recommends and… leave the car plugged in?

Why bother a neighbor when not necessary?

It definitely can be permanent. Long times and underinflation can cause permanent damage. I only had issues once with my Jag I only drove once a year or so. I had flatstoppers after that, which helped. Two months should usually only cause temporary issues.

I feel like I have it if the car is parked for a week or two. That should not be an issue and would go away after some driving, right?

Also, what's flatstoppers?

Reactions: Droschke