Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter tire choice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Soon I shall need to order winter tires for our LRMY, to get through the wintry season here in Switzerland. For the 19" Geminis, I have a choice of the following:
1. Continental WinterContact TS 860 S
2. Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
3. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Does anyone have experience on how these compare, or a particular preference? The Pirellis are slightly less expensive, but not enough to make a significant difference. (Please do not suggest other tires – I am in Switzerland and have a choice of these three or these three...)

Soon I shall need to order winter tires for our LRMY, to get through the wintry season here in Switzerland. For the 19" Geminis, I have a choice of the following:
1. Continental WinterContact TS 860 S
2. Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3
3. Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4
Does anyone have experience on how these compare, or a particular preference? The Pirellis are slightly less expensive, but not enough to make a significant difference. (Please do not suggest other tires – I am in Switzerland and have a choice of these three or these three...)
I have one season using the PA4 104V. They ride nice and are quiet.

Thanks all for the replies. In the end I went for the Continental WinterContacts, mainly because the efficiency rating was better than for the Pilots and Sottozeros. So far most driving has been in good conditions, where they have been nice – efficiency seems equivalent to the summer Hankook Ventus tyres that came as stock on the car, and if anything noise appears to be lower.

Last weekend we did encounter some ice or melted and refrozen snow on a winding forest road. To be honest the car was a bit squirrely, with a brief moment of fishtailing. While it quickly came under control and settled down, my wife was quite unnerved, especially since it happened at two different places. However, from reading through a couple of threads, I guess that this behaviour came from the rear wheel drive bias of the MY, when for winter conditions we're used to the docile understeer of a FWD car. Next time there's a risk of ice or snow I shall try the offroad assist mode to see if it makes the car more stable.

Thanks all for the replies. In the end I went for the Continental WinterContacts, mainly because the efficiency rating was better than for the Pilots and Sottozeros. So far most driving has been in good conditions, where they have been nice – efficiency seems equivalent to the summer Hankook Ventus tyres that came as stock on the car, and if anything noise appears to be lower.

Last weekend we did encounter some ice or melted and refrozen snow on a winding forest road. To be honest the car was a bit squirrely, with a brief moment of fishtailing. While it quickly came under control and settled down, my wife was quite unnerved, especially since it happened at two different places. However, from reading through a couple of threads, I guess that this behaviour came from the rear wheel drive bias of the MY, when for winter conditions we're used to the docile understeer of a FWD car. Next time there's a risk of ice or snow I shall try the offroad assist mode to see if it makes the car more stable.
I am thinking about the same tires model. May I ask you about the update if any? Thanks a lot.