Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire for S Plaid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Klyde99

Stealth.Plaid
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2021
Toronto, Canada
Hi, just wondering what profile of tire to run in the winter from experienced tesla owner? Mostly looking for ride comfort and pref 19", or unless 18" are good for the heavy plaid?

1. Thinking about Square set up with 19" x 9" with 245/45R19 Nokian from Kal Tire, thoughts?

2. Originally i got the Aero 19" staggered, so do i have to keep closer to this profile for similar handling? (OEM specs are 19x9.5 front, 19x10.5 rear)

3. What other things do i need to get to be prepare for winter, heavy snow, ice on the road etc.

Many thanks!

If you like Nokian's and feel confident on them I would say go for them. My personal bias is continental extreme contacts and I have had fantastic results with the viking contact 7's this past year, easily as good as the Nokians if not better. The sottozero's were easily the worst winter tire I have ever had. I slid all the way down the 401 and back for 2 months, took them off and threw them. The original winter tires were Hankook and they were good while they lasted but for me the vikings are worth the premium and I have full confidence in them

Upvote 0
If you like Nokian's and feel confident on them I would say go for them. My personal bias is continental extreme contacts and I have had fantastic results with the viking contact 7's this past year, easily as good as the Nokians if not better. The sottozero's were easily the worst winter tire I have ever had. I slid all the way down the 401 and back for 2 months, took them off and threw them. The original winter tires were Hankook and they were good while they lasted but for me the vikings are worth the premium and I have full confidence in them
Yea i heard good things about Viking 7 based on my visit in some local tyre stores and thanks for the insights of Pirelli's. At the end i think I am going to go with Michelin Pilot Alpin 5 after talking to a friend and watching couple of comparison videos on winter tyres, reading online etc. Conclusion is, Nokian has good grip but on non-showy day, dry road, it will produce quite some noise; judging on how ontario winters are (been in toronto for 10 yrs), it doesnt snow 24/7 even if there are back to back snow, most of the road will be wet due to salt than snow covered, hence Nokian isnt as ideal for wet road.

Upvote 0
I like Michelin X-Ice. Good grip and they last a long time. Some others may have better grip but wear out very fast.

Mind you, this is from my experience on ICE cars. Still waiting for MYLR delivery and researching like you!
best of luck on your Y delivery! I did read into X-ICE it definitely get the job done for majority of the cars without much issues, but for high performance + heavy car, I assume they are more demanding on tires, I am not too sure myself hence this thread seeking opinions.

Upvote 0
hows 285/40 at the rear? do u experience any slip on tighter turns? I was trying to find square set up as well, nothing seems to be working. I think i m just gonna go with Michelin PA 5 on OEM 19" staggered and see how it turns on this winter. I do however want to get a 20" for coming summer.

Upvote 0
hows 285/40 at the rear? do u experience any slip on tighter turns? I was trying to find square set up as well, nothing seems to be working. I think i m just gonna go with Michelin PA 5 on OEM 19" staggered and see how it turns on this winter. I do however want to get a 20" for coming summer.
I was concerned having such a wide tire for winter, thought skinnier was better. I drive a lot on rural roads that aren't plowed frequently. Absolutely no issues, very planted, even more so than my old S.

Reactions: Klyde99
Upvote 0
Do you mind also posting the load rating? The ones I can find online are below the minimum recommended spec for the Model S.
Screenshot_2022-10-04 15.52.41_JvLjI0.png

His PA4 probably looks similar specs with mine, likely using 255 front instead of 245, I just got the PA5 (newer PA line) for this winter, getting them fitted by this mid oct.

Upvote 0
best of luck on your Y delivery! I did read into X-ICE it definitely get the job done for majority of the cars without much issues, but for high performance + heavy car, I assume they are more demanding on tires, I am not too sure myself hence this thread seeking opinions.
I am running a square setup of X-ICE on Replika 241 rims on my MSLR and the performance last winter was excellent. You have to keep the car in CHILL mode as they have a softer side wall and will catch your attention if you tromp it while cornering while in INSANE mode 😉

Upvote 0
The load index for my PA4s is 100 (800kg) for the fronts, 103 (875kg) for rears. Looked for specs in Tesla documentation and couldn't find minimum load index requirements. I did drive all of last winter with these and had no issues.
Yeah, those are the specs I got too. The stock is 103/107.
So, with these tires the Max load would be 3350kg as opposed to the stock max load of 3700kg.
As you mentioned it should be fine.

Reactions: Bitjockey
Upvote 0
Yeah, those are the specs I got too. The stock is 103/107.
So, with these tires the Max load would be 3350kg as opposed to the stock max load of 3700kg.
As you mentioned it should be fine.
I had something similar to this on my Model S Plaid last year when I took delivery in December. Couldn’t find the winter PZeros anywhere in stock for my 19” wheels. I settled on some Winter Sotozero 3’s that matched the front but not the rear load rating. Checked the axel weight with tire rack and I had a good 600lb margin between the tire and what the axel was rated for. Discount tire wouldn’t mount them, but my own tire shop, and Tesla service did.

• Informative
Reactions: Bitjockey
Upvote 0