Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I found that on another site too, but Kal Tire (where I plan on getting them) shows them as SL rated. I've got a message in to them.

... and to close the loop on this one, I just got the following from Kal Tire:

For your 2103 Tesla, the 245/45r19 102R XL Nokian Hakk R2 is an extra load tire with a max air pressure of 51lbs.

Looks like I'm good to go!

Here's my transcript regarding the 21s...

Brian said:
I periodically scout tire options for my vehicles (and I'm burning through tires faster on this one :p).
To my knowledge, the only "at all suitable for winter" tires available for the Tesla Model S (non-Plus) 21" wheels is the Pirelli Winter Sottozero 3.
I have two main questions:
-1- Do you guys do any evaluations of tires as they come out (I think these are newish?) and if so, when should we expect some detailed information on that.
-2- Do you guys contact vehicle manufacturers to get their input on compatibility of various tires (based on weight requirements, etc.)?
Nolan said:
I can help with that
With the tires, we do testing on tires, but with winter tires the testing is more sporadic and testing has not been done on this model. The difference with this model and previous generations is this is a directional tread design vs asymmetric of past models.
As far as fitments, we get input with the vehicle and tire manufacturers for what models will work with specific vehicles.
Brian said:
K, thanks.
"Estimated Availability: 11/29/13"
Am I right in assuming that means December is more likely, or are these estimates sometimes conservative?
(Meaning if I need new tires before December, then I'd need to get something else.)
Nolan said:
That is correct. These will typically be the earliest estimates and dates provided to us from Pirelli
Brian said:
Ok, good to know.
Do you guys have a "reasonable guess" based on similar Pirelli tires what the UTQC ballpark will be?
50, 300, 500?
Nolan said:
With winter tires, they are not rated for UTQG
Brian said:
Hm, let me ask it another way.
On a previous vehicle, the Michelins with 500 rating are supposedly much more long-lasting than the 300 rating that they replaced.
How do you think these tires will fare for wear?
Nolan said:
The Pirelli's are a winter compound tire. On average they will last about 2 - 3 winters with their winter tread, which is down to about 5/32".
Brian said:
Ok, thanks.
Do you mind if I share any of the above with other Tesla owners on public forums?
It should save you guys some time answering the same questions over and over. :)
Nolan said:
Yes, you are welcome to share the information.

I'm still left with the question "how long will these tires last compared to, say, the Continentals" if I leave them on from December (i.e. as daily drivers into summer months).

The reason I like the Hakka R2's is because they seem to be fairly highly rated for winter traction and, just as importantly (to me), have a very low rolling resistance.

Since we are contemplating a Christmas trip from Minneapolis to Toronto, rolling resistance is indeed important.

About the only problem with the R2 that I can see is that it is rated for only 170 km/h. :) (BTW, I've had a set in the garage waiting on wheels from Tesla for 3 weeks now.)

For those considering the X-Ice 3, from the information that I could piece together, it appears that the XI3 is slightly better than the previous generation Hakka R, but that the new R2 is better than the XI3.

Consumer reports has not yet tested the R2. The Hakka R and XI3 both scored excellent for rolling resistance. Nokian claims a 5% reduction in rolling resistance for the R2.

The last full year of 2004 Prius driving averaged 69.2 mpg using Nokian tires (eNTYRE). Nokian has a solid reputation for low rolling resistance tires. I'd expect Nokian's 5% claimed reduction to be real.

I see them when I log in online. They have an overall rating of 64 just behind the Michelin PA4's which scored 66. They are in the Performance Winter category if that helps.

Yep, looks like they redid the Performance Winter category since I last checked in July. All scores are down drastically (re-normalized?) - Tesla's choice Pirelli Sottozero Winter 240 Serie II went from a score of 72 to 60. Individual results also changed some between tyres that are in both 2012 and 2013 results.

I just ordered the Hakka R2 on Apex Klasse wheels from Kal Tire. Tons of research went into my decision and I just felt like the Hakka R2's are the best of the best. Best of luck and safe winter driving to all in the upcoming months!

I've got the Pirellis from Tesla, which I drove through last winter and found lacking. However they're not so bad that I'm going to take perfectly good tires off the rims.

I'll switch when they wear out (and I'm conservative when it comes to tread depth on winter tires!).

Kind of off topic but does anyone know of a Canadian supplier of the Rial Lugano turbine wheels they talk about in this thread? I will likely order from tire rack but it would be nice if I could get it locally or from a Canadian online store.

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/11271-19-quot-Turbine-Wheel-Solution

I don't think it's off topic since most people will need a set of wheels for their winter tires. I picked out the Rial Luganos when I looked through the wheel options on Tire Rack - they do look good on the Tesla. They have a feature where they "show" them on the car.

DSJ - What do the Apex Klasse wheels look like? I couldn't find a picture of them on the Klasse website?

I don't think it's off topic since most people will need a set of wheels for their winter tires. I picked out the Rial Luganos when I looked through the wheel options on Tire Rack - they do look good on the Tesla. They have a feature where they "show" them on the car.

DSJ - What do the Apex Klasse wheels look like? I couldn't find a picture of them on the Klasse website?

http://www.klassemotorsports.ca/Styles/Apex/Matte-Black

They weigh in at 30lbs. Went with matte black to match my black exterior. I'm not huge on branding on wheels (outside of Tesla's, of course) so I might matte out the Apex logo in the center cap.