Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Winter Tire Options

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
http://www.klassemotorsports.ca/Styles/Apex/Matte-Black

They weigh in at 30lbs. Went with matte black to match my black exterior. I'm not huge on branding on wheels (outside of Tesla's, of course) so I might matte out the Apex logo in the center cap.

It took my browser a while to fill in the pictures of the Apex wheels. They look good. I like the idea of going with black wheels for the winter tires for a different look. My wife & daughter chose the silver wheels when we ordered (I got to pick the P85+). I haven't received a delivery date yet so hopefully I will need winter tires this season.

I just ordered the Hakka R2 on Apex Klasse wheels from Kal Tire. Tons of research went into my decision and I just felt like the Hakka R2's are the best of the best. Best of luck and safe winter driving to all in the upcoming months!
I'm looking at the same combo. Did you get them with TPMS? Will they install the sensors and will it just work? Or do you need to go to a Tesla Service Center and have them do some magic?

What was your total price before the sales tax?

Thanks!

Just ordered the Lugano 19" wheels from tirerack in gunmetal titanium...!! Also the Pirelli sottozeros 240 series II

Was thinking of getting the Luganos with the Michelin X-Ice Xi3 from Tirerack as they don't carry the Nokians, but may just get the wheels and TPMS from Tirerack and buy the Nokian Hakkas from Kal Tire. Leaning towards the latter based on the preferences here. Any input?

I'm looking at the same combo. Did you get them with TPMS? Will they install the sensors and will it just work? Or do you need to go to a Tesla Service Center and have them do some magic?

What was your total price before the sales tax?

Thanks!

It's a solid combo - No I didn't get TPMS, I can do without it. I really don't see the point in dropping another $500 when a circle check can tell me if my tires are good. I understand why some want the TPMS though.

I don't have a total yet but Kal Tire will discount whatever price you see on the website. For example, the Klasse Apex wheels are $219.99 + tax on KT's site but I had them discounted to $192 + tax each. Same kind of discount will apply on the Hakka's.

If you want, you can call the KT location I used and asked for Vince. It's the location at 2403 Stanfield Rd in Mississauga (905 848 3500). Let him know that you know a Tesla driver who phoned last week who had a nice combo of wheels and tires put together. He's very helpful. They'll also put them on for you and store your other tires if need be. I went with 245/45/R19 Hakka R's and the 19x8 Klasse Apex Matte Black.

It's a solid combo - No I didn't get TPMS, I can do without it. I really don't see the point in dropping another $500 when a circle check can tell me if my tires are good. I understand why some want the TPMS though.
Thanks! I think I'll do the same.

I don't have a total yet but Kal Tire will discount whatever price you see on the website. For example, the Klasse Apex wheels are $219.99 + tax on KT's site but I had them discounted to $192 + tax each. Same kind of discount will apply on the Hakka's.

If you want, you can call the KT location I used and asked for Vince. It's the location at 2403 Stanfield Rd in Mississauga (905 848 3500). Let him know that you know a Tesla driver who phoned last week who had a nice combo of wheels and tires put together. He's very helpful. They'll also put them on for you and store your other tires if need be. I went with 245/45/R19 Hakka R's and the 19x8 Klasse Apex Matte Black.
I live in Kitchener, so will be getting tires at the Cambridge location. How did you get the discount? Did you call and just asked how much it would be for the combo?

Weird: Kal Tire doesn't list the Nokians on their website if you use their car tire picker.
You can get to it if you search by tire size instead of the car model. They must have some data entry problem. Earlier in this thread it was confirmed that these tires are fine for Model S.

I bought my Hakka R's last winter at Kal tire in Mississauga and am extremely satisfied with Kal and the tires. Many times I drove a single lane snow covered cottage road with hills with no problems whatsoever. Great tires and I imagine the R2 will be even better.

Spoke with Merson Auto in Mtl and appears in Quebec only they have authorization to get the Nokian non-studded Hakka 7's which they tell me is same as R2 but slightly better re: speed and and traction... Will also get the Klasse Appex 19" wheels.

Comments?

Weird: Kal Tire doesn't list the Nokians on their website if you use their car tire picker.

Their site has them listed as SL load range (Tesla needs XL) and that is why it probably doesn't show up if you search my Make/Model. I wrote to Kal about this and they immediately got back saying it was a database error on their end, and that the R2 are indeed XL rated and suitable for Model S.

Spoke with Merson Auto in Mtl and appears in Quebec only they have authorization to get the Nokian non-studded Hakka 7's which they tell me is same as R2 but slightly better re: speed and and traction... Will also get the Klasse Appex 19" wheels.

Did you ask about thread noise? Compared to the R2. I would think the 7 would be noisier on dry roads, but better in the snow.
The R2 seems to have lighter thread patterns : Pneu d'hiver Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2 - 245/45R19 102R XL - Pneus - PMC Tire, Québec, Ontario, Canada

I am shopping for winter tires too, these days. Did you get a quote from Merson for the tires ?
They are going for 355$ each on this online tire store, based in Quebec : Pneu d'hiver Nokian Hakkapeliitta 7 - 245/40R19 98T XL - Pneus - PMC Tire, Québec, Ontario, Canada

The Hakka 7 got the best score in this old compare test from La Presse : Pneus d'hiver 2011-2012: Notre verdict | Jean-François Guay, collaboration spéciale | Consommation

@agileone : did not ask about thread noise; good point and will do that before I finalize purchase. For price Merson advisor told me list price was north of $400 per but quoted me a price of about $340 (mounted and balanced incl). Let me know what you end up buying...

Put on a set of Hakka R2 on new rims and headed for high mountain today. Drove 450km and elevation several tops around 1100 - 1200 meters.

I chose the Hakkas mainly for the snowy, icy days but today was 1-10 degrees Celsius and nice dry weather. Compared to the Michelin Pilot Sports the Hakkas are very quiet. But of course I do notice the not-so-good handling with the soft 19" tires compared to the 21" Michelins. Looking forward to the spring already. :smile:

The rolling resistance seems good. For the entire trip I used 161Wh/km. Compared to my average in my ownership so far (195Wh/km) that is very good.

I've also set my wheels up with a set of AlloyGators. (But that is hardly visible in the photo)

Attachments

• hrdgvd.resized.jpg
    hrdgvd.resized.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 723
Last edited:
Put on a set of Hakka R2 on new rims and headed for high mountain today. Drove 450km and elevation several tops around 1100 - 1200 meters.

I chose the Hakkas mainly for the snowy, icy days but today was 1-10 degrees Celsius and nice dry weather. Compared to the Michelin Pilot Sports the Hakkas are very quiet. But of course I do notice the not-so-good handling with the soft 19" tires compared to the 21" Michelins. Looking forward to the spring already. :smile:

The rolling resistance seems good. For the entire trip I used 166Wh/km. Compared to my average in my ownership so far (195Wh/km) that is very good.

I've also set my wheels up with a set of AlloyGators. (But that is hardly visible in the photo)

Thank you for the report. Will wait another month before setting up my winter tires.

Out of curiosity is it normal to put winter tires on this early in the season where you are in Norway or was it just because you were road tripping in an elevated area?

Out of curiosity is it normal to put winter tires on this early in the season where you are in Norway or was it just because you were road tripping in an elevated area?
No, I would normally not put them on this early. I'm thinking of perhaps putting the summer tires back on next week when I get back home.

Sorry for posting this in the Canadian forum by the way :redface:

Last edited:
My Ranger confirmed today that the Model S remembers 8 wheels, so you shouldn't have to reset the TPMS each time. However he advised that it is still recommended, since the pressure threshold for 19" and 21" tires is different (assuming you run 21" summer tires).

I told him that I wanted the threshold left at the lower summer value. I routinely check my tire pressures anyway, and I only want to hear from the TPMS if a tire is going flat. Of course that probably won't stop them from changing the threshold on me when I'm not looking!

My Ranger confirmed today that the Model S remembers 8 wheels, so you shouldn't have to reset the TPMS each time. However he advised that it is still recommended, since the pressure threshold for 19" and 21" tires is different (assuming you run 21" summer tires).

I told him that I wanted the threshold left at the lower summer value. I routinely check my tire pressures anyway, and I only want to hear from the TPMS if a tire is going flat. Of course that probably won't stop them from changing the threshold on me when I'm not looking!

Good to know. Thanks.